• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Effect of tears on a grade

12 posts in this topic

Hi there. I have recently begun collecting comics again and have also started to dabble at grading and I would like some advice as to the impact that cover tears have on an overall grade. The Overstreet guide doesn't mention them, only interior tears whilst a very informative chap on youtube (eta nick) gives some guidelines as to what CGC will grade a book at if it has specific flaws. Tears are an example he uses and he says that a book with a 1 inch tear on the cover wouldn't grade higher than a 7.0. That's great but what if a book is already lower than a 7.0 without a tear, what would the effect of that tear have on the final grade? Sorry, that question seemed a lot simpler in my head.

Here's an example. I have a FF31 in about 5.5 (imo) without taking into account the 1" tear on the front cover by Mole Man's middle finger to the bottom edge. What should the overall grade be? Thanks for looking and perhaps helping me understand a bit better.

15rnmkj.jpg

2hdmrtz.jpg

Siting. To see something not seen frequently

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Siting - the location (site) chosen for something, i.e. a building.

Sighting - The act of catching sight of something, especially something unusual or searched for.

I read the title of this thread as 'tears' as in someone crying. I was greatly looking forward to some sob story where someone started crying on their comics.

Very disappointed.

In the UK they're a lot more common. I prefer to buy 'cents' but sometimes you just have to go with 'pence' especially if it's a good price (which this copy was).

I read the title of this thread as 'tears' as in someone crying. I was greatly looking forward to some sob story where someone started crying on their comics.

Very disappointed.

That made me laugh hard!

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Siting - the location (site) chosen for something, i.e. a building.

Sighting - The act of catching sight of something, especially something unusual or searched for.

You are correct .... a rare grammatical and linguistic faux pas. :sumo:

Sigh Ting A really nice mellow feeling you get after correcting someone. :lol:

Purchased 3 issues of Marvel Premiere 47 when the issue came out and pretty much forgot about them until recently, for obvious reasons. Dug 'em out and one of them has a 3/4" tear 1/2 way down the right side of the cover. All I know is it wasn't there when I bought it. Comic is an easy 9.2 without the tear. Hoping "one who knows" can let me know how the tear affects the over-all grade?