• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do silver age movie hype books lose their steam

38 posts in this topic

Showcase 22 is probably a good buy right now as compared to before the Ryan Reynolds suck fest...

hm

I still argue that the biggest issue with that turd of a movie was the -script. The special effects were "ok", the acting was meh but the -script was horrific.

The special effects? The main villain, Parallax, looked like giant poop cloud from space.

I blame the -script for that. I didn't think the SFX were Horrible. The -script was Horrible. Sinestro was the best part of the movie and he had a bit part. Not good.

Don't let the lead actor off so lightly. From my perspective, RR's prep for this movie ended once he fit into the costume. He's just terrible.

I am of the opinion that TTA 35 and X-Men 4 will level off and may decrease a bit. I was hoping everyone would tell me that DD1 will decrease :( Ah well, can't win them all

Daredevil 1 is the poor man's mega key. It's not going down, ever.

As far as the others, high prices bring books out of collections and into the market. Now that everyone has paid to get their copies, how many people are going to want to sell at a loss? There aren't a ton of copies of TTA 35 or X-Men 4 out there to start with, so prices may stagnate for a long time, but for the near future, the price isn't going down.

Ever is a long time... :grin:

On your other point, never underestimate the lengths (discounts) speculators will go to in order to free up cash to move on to the next speculation. When prices crash, it will likely be swift and it only takes a few to start the downward trend...

TOS 50 faded out of existence after the Mandarin failed to perform.

Ant Man as a comedy is silver screen suicide. I see an audience with the same open mouths as Mel Brook's "The Producers" during the singing scene.

The speculators will be moving to DC next which I think is great news because I've bet on the major DC keys for a while and very quietly. Half my collection is DC.

The speculators are in and keep rolling from one movie announcement to the other. I'm betting that if the Flash movie tanks there will be a correction in these prices that are jumping 20-50% per year. Batman Adventure's 12 is not a 2k book it's a $350 book. Think about that GPA line that arches straight up. Anyone who was in the markets from 1995-2009 and housing markets during the same time period have seen this curve before.

Ant Man as a comedy is silver screen suicide. I see an audience with the same open mouths as Mel Brook's "The Producers" during the singing scene.

The speculators will be moving to DC next which I think is great news because I've bet on the major DC keys for a while and very quietly. Half my collection is DC.

The speculators are in and keep rolling from one movie announcement to the other. I'm betting that if the Flash movie tanks there will be a correction in these prices that are jumping 20-50% per year. Batman Adventure's 12 is not a 2k book it's a $350 book. Think about that GPA line that arches straight up. Anyone who was in the markets from 1995-2009 and housing markets during the same time period have seen this curve before.

The Flash books are being pushed by the TV show, which seems to be a success thus far.

The Flash books are being pushed by the TV show, which seems to be a success thus far.

Yep. Has there been any news about a Flash movie? I seem to remember some fairly emaciated actor being discussed as the Flash but my memory isn't particularly crisp on these points.

And not just a ratings success -- kids from high school on down are loving this thing, the characters and mythology are entrenching themselves across an entire new generation of geekdom. Long, long, long-term impact, I think.

How cool would it be for kids to come to the door at Halloween dressed as Captain Cold?

Maybe we need to better define movie hype books. What people wanted before, they will still want after. The others will fade into obscurity. Take Purple Man and Bullseye as examples. Both Daredevil villains, but one will continue to grow in price, and one will peak and fall after leaving the screen. Which one's which?

And not just a ratings success -- kids from high school on down are loving this thing, the characters and mythology are entrenching themselves across an entire new generation of geekdom. Long, long, long-term impact, I think.

I would probably wait until the show runs for a few seasons before I call it a "Long, long, long-term impact."

Flash is one of my favorites and the show is awesome, but the pace is very rapid and they are already moving into cross dimensional plots. I don't want another "Heroes" where they moved passed the simple formula too quickly and the show becomes much less interesting. At a certain point the villains and heroes become so powerful there is no more human element and the show gets boring. In comics when that happens, they reboot. In shows, the cancel...

I would probably wait until the show runs for a few seasons before I call it a "Long, long, long-term impact."

Flash is one of my favorites and the show is awesome, but the pace is very rapid and they are already moving into cross dimensional plots. I don't want another "Heroes" where they moved passed the simple formula too quickly and the show becomes much less interesting. At a certain point the villains and heroes become so powerful there is no more human element and the show gets boring. In comics when that happens, they reboot. In shows, the cancel...

All good points. Why I said, "I think." I think between Arrow and Flash and Legends of Tomorrow they're on track to create a generational touchstone. Even if the second season of Flash is a let-down (and I don't think it will be), the first season has made an impression strong enough to carry into adulthood with these kids.

Showcase 22 is probably a good buy right now as compared to before the Ryan Reynolds suck fest...

hm

Keeping that movie and that actor in mind, this is why I am thinking the Ant-Man movie will tank.

I like Paul Rudd but I am afraid his comedic efforts will not work in a Super Hero venue.

chris-pratt-3-800.jpg

IMO this is "Stupidly Ridiculous"!!!

How long will this Hype last for what was a common low dollar book?

This book which was listed as VG just sold for $252.49 on eBay tonight.

2dig1lk.jpg

Looks like a sweet copy for a VG

2dig1lk.jpg

Looks like a sweet copy for a VG

Cropped photo on the left, pretty worn on the right corners -- especially that bottom one -- and the photo's tiny. :shy:

hm

Keeping that movie and that actor in mind, this is why I am thinking the Ant-Man movie will tank.

I like Paul Rudd but I am afraid his comedic efforts will not work in a Super Hero venue.

chris-pratt-3-800.jpg

:roflmao: I guess Paul Rudd did work. Poor Ryan Reynolds, maybe it was the -script.

2dig1lk.jpg

Not compared to IH181. :boo:

You are correct.

I posted the price the F.F. 45 sold for not even realizing it had become so popular due to an upcoming movie, it shocked me when I saw it.

I received my new Overstreet Price Guide after I had posted and that is when I saw the price increase, the last time I bought a Price Guide was 2008 and comparing those prices to now both the F.F 45 and IH 181 have increased drastically.

Luckily I already owned both since the early 80's.

F.F 45 Prices GD, VG, FN, VF, VF/NM

2008 - $18, $36, $54, $134, $237

2015 - $100, $200, $300, $400, $1800

Incredible Hulk Prices GD, VG, FN, VF, VF/NM

2008 - $90, $180, $270, $700, $1075

2015 - $270, $540, $810, $1400, $1900