• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

Great cover! The more I see from Bill Everett, the more I appreciate him.

Over-rated, over-priced hack! :sumo:

Just arrived a few minutes ago. Some great art inside Infantino, Ditko.

MarvelTales147FF.jpg

Beautiful!!

:gossip: Just don't tell tth2 I said that.

Great cover! The more I see from Bill Everett, the more I appreciate him.

Over-rated, over-priced hack! :sumo:

Don`t worry, it`s not a genre I have any interest in. If he had produced some painted covers, on the other hand... hm

MarvelTales147FF.jpg

Angelo

Sweet book Angelo! (thumbs u

Must...resist pull of post-code Atlas horror! :eek:

Just give in, it's sooooo much easier.

MarvelTales147FF.jpg

Angelo

Amazing Colors :golfclap:

MarvelTales147FF.jpg

Angelo

Amazing Colors :golfclap:

Thanks. It really does present very nicely.

Here's one you don't see every day: Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners 6, April-May 1957. It's a Gerber 7 and one reason you don't see it every day is that it's missing from the Photo-Journal.

Here's what an in-depth user comment says on imdb (I'm no TV expert):

THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW-(A Hour Long Comedy-Musical-Variety Show) Produced by the CBS Television Network which ran from 1952-1971. First Telecast of the Program: September 20, 1952 Last Telecast of the Program: September 12, 1971 The Black and White Episodes: 1952-1966 The Color Episodes: 1966-1971

"The Honeymooners" was made into a weekly series which ran for one season from 1955-1956,producing 39 episodes.

Among the characters that were created by Jackie Gleason in addition to "The Honeymooners",among them Ralph Kramden,were The Poor Soul,Joe The Bartender,The Loudmouth,Reggie Van Gleason III,Rudy the Repairman, and Fenwick Babbitt.

There's lots more detail at imdb. I just wanted to give a little context.

Jerry Bails' Who's Who lists for this series only:

ROY, MIKE DC COMICS JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS (pen/) 1956-57

NADLE, LARRY DC COMICS JACKIE GLEASON AND HONEYMOONERS~ (ed/) 1956-58

plus

PEPPE, MIKE inking the St John series in 1955

Here's the cover. It looks a lot like Owen Fitzgerald's Bob Hope artwork to the world's worst art-spotter (me), but I don't know what Mike Roy's work looks like.

44209-JG6.jpg

The book opens with a Honeymooners story:

44210-JG6002.jpg

Charlie Bratton, the Loudmouth:

44211-JG6001.jpg

And more -- no time to scan them all:

The Poor Soul (if I remember right, those were always pantomime on the TV show, and it has only captions here).

Reggie Van Geason the III

Mother Fletcher presents Stanley R. Sogg and the Late Late Late Late Late Late Show

Charlie Bratton, the Loudmouth again

It looks like the book followed the outline of Jackie's comedy/variety show closely.

Any help on the penciler or inker?

Jack

I'm afraid I'm not much help here as this is not a title that I collect or artists that I've read much about. I do see a little Mort Drucker in the face of the waitress in the second splash but that's much too little to go on as the other figures are not typical of his other work at this time.

I'm afraid I'm not much help here as this is not a title that I collect or artists that I've read much about. I do see a little Mort Drucker in the face of the waitress in the second splash but that's much too little to go on as the other figures are not typical of his other work at this time.

Drucker would have been my next suggestion. You think he might be on the story, not cover, pencils?

Celebrity humor books really are the fetid backwaters of DC collecting, aren't they?

Thanks for looking. Maybe the GCD discussion lists will come up with some ideas. If not, I'll index with lots of questions marks. I hate doing that.

Jack

I think the cover and the second splash are by the same person -- not so sure about the first story as I'm getting different vibes. There's something about the tapping fingers on Jackie on the cover that remind me of Drucker as well. In general, Drucker was doing figures that were full with stocky but expressive hands (he told he was consciously working on drawing hands well and utilizing them to tell stories more effectively). It's worth a reach out to him or a Drucker expert as I'm by no means certain. There are definitely artists working the DC funny animal, teen/TV, and romance that I don't know at all or at all well. Any chance you can scan more pages from that second story?