• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

I think the cover and the second splash are by the same person -- not so sure about the first story as I'm getting different vibes. There's something about the tapping fingers on Jackie on the cover that remind me of Drucker as well. In general, Drucker was doing figures that were full with stocky but expressive hands (he told he was consciously working on drawing hands well and utilizing them to tell stories more effectively). It's worth a reach out to him or a Drucker expert as I'm by no means certain. There are definitely artists working the DC funny animal, teen/TV, and romance that I don't know at all or at all well. Any chance you can scan more pages from that second story?

Thanks for taking a second look.

"a reach out to him or a Drucker expert" = Drucker is available for questions? On-line somewhere?

I'll scan more pages from the book asap. Unfortunately some of that darn Real Life work has to come first.

Jack

pretty sweet! a book for those who collect misspellings as well (bottom left panel of loudmouth story)

I noticed that too -- an error that almost quaifies as a pet peeve (along with phosphorous for phosphorus, loose for lose, and so many others that I could start my own pet shelter).

Several apostrophe errors in the book too. I'm not sure whether Ellsworth (listed in indicia) or Nadle was the actual editor, but they weren't paying attention.

Jack

I think the cover and the second splash are by the same person -- not so sure about the first story as I'm getting different vibes. There's something about the tapping fingers on Jackie on the cover that remind me of Drucker as well. In general, Drucker was doing figures that were full with stocky but expressive hands (he told he was consciously working on drawing hands well and utilizing them to tell stories more effectively). It's worth a reach out to him or a Drucker expert as I'm by no means certain. There are definitely artists working the DC funny animal, teen/TV, and romance that I don't know at all or at all well. Any chance you can scan more pages from that second story?

Thanks for taking a second look.

"a reach out to him or a Drucker expert" = Drucker is available for questions? On-line somewhere?

I'll scan more pages from the book asap. Unfortunately some of that darn Real Life work has to come first.

Jack

Last I knew Drucker was still alive but I don't have contact info.

On the GCD mailing list, humor comic book expert Steven Rowe checked in with:

"Mike Roy is the generally accepted artist on this run. (I cant ID Roy though)

It is NOT Fitzgerald.

Nadle edited all the DC humor comics from at least 1948 to his death circa 1965.

Ellsworth was senior editor from 48 to 59.

as the joke goes: it's questionable if he even looked inside a comic after 1953.

steven rowe"

Steven knows these books well, so I take his word for it.

Who's Mike Roy?

From the Lambiek site:

There are some art samples there, quite different from his Jackie Gleason style.

Mike Roy

(1921 - 1996, USA)

Joseph Michael Roy studied at the High School of Industrial Art, as well as the Pratt Institute. He began his career in the 1940s, assisting Bill Everett, the creator of the original 'Sub-mariner' at Atlass [sic] Comics. He worked through the Funnies Inc. shop, and contributed to comic books by Holyoke Publications ('Hammerhead Hawley'), Archie Comics (funny titles), Hillman Periodical (crime, war and western) and various early DC books. He also appeared in Lev Gleason titles like 'Crime Does Not Pay', 'Crime and Punishment', 'Daredevil' and 'Desperado'. During the first half of the 1950s, Roy produced a large amount of artwork for the romance titles of Better Publications. He later also contributed to many Dell/Western titles.

Roy has also worked on newspaper strips. Between 1948 and 1951, he did the 'The Saint' daily and Sunday strip for the New York Herald Tribune. In the 1950s, he made the newspaper strips 'Ken Weston' and 'Nero Wolfe', and assisted on 'Flash Gordon'. In the 1960s followed the acclaimed Native American Sunday strip 'Akwas', and the 'Hoss Laffs' daily and the 'Indian Lore and Crafts' Sunday page. Mike Roy was active until the 1990s, working mainly on educational comics for Custom Comic Services. His final work was 'Screaming Eagle', a hardcover graphic novel for Discovery Comics. Mike Roy also co-founded a museum for Native American and Eskimo art.

Jack

Here's one you don't see every day: Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners 6, April-May 1957. ...

Jerry Bails' Who's Who lists for this series only:

ROY, MIKE DC COMICS JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS (pen/) 1956-57

NADLE, LARRY DC COMICS JACKIE GLEASON AND HONEYMOONERS~ (ed/) 1956-58

plus

PEPPE, MIKE inking the St John series in 1955

Here's the cover. It looks a lot like Owen Fitzgerald's Bob Hope artwork to the world's worst art-spotter (me), but I don't know what Mike Roy's work looks like.

44209-JG6.jpg

Any help on the penciler or inker?

Jack

Yes, it's a beauty of a Swan/Kaye cover. Not so easy to find attractive copies of Adventure in this range, is it?

Funny to see yet another chunk of Krypton escaping destruction. By the mid-1970s, I think about half the planet had headed this way when it exploded.

Aquaman and Green Arrow backups too!

Jack

This book has such a 50's feel to me. I love the painterly clouds with the bright cityscape in the background and the nostalgic feeling Superboy is expressing in his thoughts.

Ken

adv232.jpg

And that, my friends, is why I'm known as the World's Worst Artist Spotter.

I would never haved guessed that the artist responsible for these pages also drew the Jackie Gleason cover and pages that I posted. What should I be looking at? Something about panel composition, faces, posture?

I wonder where the credit for Ray on Gleason originally came from. Have you seen it anywhere else, Scrooge?

Thanks,

Jack

Who's Mike Roy?

Check out also the entry for Real Clue Crime Stories. Here are some more Roy art examples:

1783052-RealClueCrimeMarch52-MikeRoyHeap.jpg

1783052-RealClueCrimeMArch1952-RoyCrimeBuster.jpg

1783052-RealClueCrimeMarch52Story4s.jpg

And that, my friends, is why I'm known as the World's Worst Artist Spotter.

I would never haved guessed that the artist responsible for these pages also drew the Jackie Gleason cover and pages that I posted. What should I be looking at? Something about panel composition, faces, posture?

Nah. There is just not enough there to be able to perform that ID. These pages are too far apart in time to be of any help in IDing the artist. The first page is from the mid-1940's and the last is from the early 1950's and your cover is from the late 1950's. Art spotters get a chance at IDing artist by looking at artists in chronological order and knowing their style at a specific period. Heck, reading Foster's Tarzan first volume, it's amazing how much he changed over the course of 6 months! So ... Mike Roy in 1946 and Mike Roy in 1957 clearly can't have nothing to do with each other.

Here are two more pages from Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners 6.

First, another page from a Loudmouth story, chosen partly because of lots of secondary characters and the use of a silhouette panel.

44291-jg5.jpg

Second, a page from a Reggie van Gleason III story, another of Jackie's continuing characters on his TV show. Notice how much the artist likes panels with a full portrait and blank background, plus another silhouette panel.

44290-jg4.jpg

Mike Roy? So say the experts.

Jack

Thanks for the scans, Jack!

I'm a huge Honeymooners fan. It's kinda funny to see pages of the "other" Gleason characters. Never knew those stories were in there!

I never suspected that they were in there until I got this copy. Good thing this Gem Mint wasn't in a slab or we'd never know!

Jack

It certainly looks less and less like Drucker.

I do like the very late 50s look to it.

It certainly looks less and less like Drucker.

I do like the very late 50s look to it.

For me, it's hard to tell many of these humor artist apart because they carry around the same bag of influences. From what I've read, Owen Fitzgerald worked animation at Disney and Fleisher studios and with Chuck Jones, then Mort Drucker and Bob Oksner both worked in comic books with Fitzgerald. I don't know whether there's any direct influence/overlap with Mike Roy, but if he was doing Jackie Gleason for DC in the 50s, there must be.

Jack