• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Those Bats are just sick!

Here's a dime book that really is kinda sick. All-Star Western 96, early Silver Age Infantino (?) ink-wash cover. Nice beater for $2.50 -- not such an easy issue to find.

Jack

47115-asw96.jpg

Here's a few Silver ten-centers;

Wilbur794.jpg

Wow! Another chemistry cover I've never seen. Thanks!

unusaultales31.jpg

#$%^&* Smorgasbord covers. It would have been so much more attractive (to me) with just the Sammy image full-sized.

Jack

Here's a dime book that really is kinda sick. All-Star Western 96, early Silver Age Infantino (?) ink-wash cover. Nice beater for $2.50 -- not such an easy issue to find.

Jack

47115-asw96.jpg

Grandenetti on the cover art, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember Infantino drawing any greytones.

Jack

47115-asw96.jpg

Grandenetti on the cover art, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember Infantino drawing any greytones.

Grandenetti seems feasible, but I didn't know that he worked on this series. Kane did a lot of the covers, but not enough nostril showing.

*GCD*

Carmine Infantino (Pencils) Jack Adler (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

Infantino did the Trigger Twins story, so the cover isn't unlikely. Maybe his pencils are so covered up by Adler's wash work that they're hard to spot. The hand placement isn't unlike his work, is it?

Jack

Haven't been much of a poster lately, but I recently picked up two books that fill in this run and thought it would be cool for you guys to see these in order. Some of these are seldomly seen and are rare in higher grades.

So here you go, 25 silver age Superman 10 centers in a row, Superman 105-129:

th_sm105.jpgth_sm106-1.jpgth_sm107.jpgth_sm108.jpgth_sm109.jpg

th_sm110.jpgth_sm111.jpgth_sm112.jpgth_sm113.jpgth_sm114.jpg

th_sm115.jpgth_sm116.jpgth_sm117.jpgth_sm118.jpgth_sm119.jpg

th_sm120.jpgth_sm121.jpgth_sm122a.jpgth_sm123.jpgth_sm124.jpg

th_sm125.jpgth_sm126.jpgth_sm127.jpgth_sm128.jpgth_sm129.jpg

of particular note from someone who has spent years seraching for some of these, the following are stupid hard to get above FINE: 121, 122, 123, 125 and 126. Why? I have no clue. Why is 124 so common?

Now, if I could find a decent 103.... :shy:

Jack

47115-asw96.jpg

Grandenetti seems feasible, but I didn't know that he worked on this series. Kane did a lot of the covers, but not enough nostril showing.

*GCD*

Infantino did the Trigger Twins story, so the cover isn't unlikely. Maybe his pencils are so covered up by Adler's wash work that they're hard to spot. The hand placement isn't unlike his work, is it?

Jack

The underlying art is done by the artist in b&w&gray. Adler has to try and match that which is why there is real artistry in his work in coloring the comic.

Grandenetti did do any interior work for ASW so far as I know. It's possible that it's Infantino and that I did not recognize it because I have no washtone covers by him to compare it to. But after looking at some of my Grandenetti's (and he drew/painted as many graytone covers for DC as anyone else) I still think it looks his work and that it's plausible that he moonlighted for Julie Schwartz. Even Kubert and Heath moonlighted a couple times for Julie so this is plausible. The example below has a similar composition .

OAAW44-1.jpg

Jack

47115-asw96.jpg

*GCD*

Jack

The underlying art is done by the artist in b&w&gray. Adler has to try and match that which is why there is real artistry in his work in coloring the comic.

Grandenetti did do any interior work for ASW so far as I know. It's possible that it's Infantino and that I did not recognize it because I have no washtone covers by him to compare it to. But after looking at some of my Grandenetti's (and he drew/painted as many graytone covers for DC as anyone else) I still think it looks his work and that it's plausible that he moonlighted for Julie Schwartz. Even Kubert and Heath moonlighted a couple times for Julie so this is plausible. The example below has a similar composition .

OAAW44-1.jpg

Thanks for the info. I (aka World's Worst Artist Spotter) am not about to challenge your Grandenetti ID. [You meant, "Grandenetti did NOT do any interior work..., right?] I can try to find out where the Infantino ID at GCD came from. In many cases, it's from pay records -- those tell who got paid, not who drew the work, of course.

Jack

[You meant, "Grandenetti did NOT do any interior work..., right?] I

Correct. Let me know what you find out about the source of the identification of Infantino.

Silver, very nice Superman run! How long did it take to complete it? They all look 7.0 or higher too!

been working on these issues over the last 4 ish years. These represent the earlier part of my Superman run which I am doing 100-300.