• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

Haven't been much of a poster lately, but I recently picked up two books that fill in this run and thought it would be cool for you guys to see these in order. Some of these are seldomly seen and are rare in higher grades.

So here you go, 25 silver age Superman 10 centers in a row, Superman 105-129:

th_sm105.jpgth_sm106-1.jpgth_sm107.jpgth_sm108.jpgth_sm109.jpg

th_sm110.jpgth_sm111.jpgth_sm112.jpgth_sm113.jpgth_sm114.jpg

th_sm115.jpgth_sm116.jpgth_sm117.jpgth_sm118.jpgth_sm119.jpg

th_sm120.jpgth_sm121.jpgth_sm122a.jpgth_sm123.jpgth_sm124.jpg

th_sm125.jpgth_sm126.jpgth_sm127.jpgth_sm128.jpgth_sm129.jpg

of particular note from someone who has spent years seraching for some of these, the following are stupid hard to get above FINE: 121, 122, 123, 125 and 126. Why? I have no clue. Why is 124 so common?

Now, if I could find a decent 103.... :shy:

Wel worth the wait

I've got to show one of my recent buys from skypinkblu.

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 53, Giant Turtle Man! Attractive mid-grade copy.

This is one of my favorite Silver Age DC books. I know that the cover is a twice-recycled pulp cover, but I love it anyway. Like most old favorites, it's partly the nostalgic buzz of remembering the first time I read the book, sitting on the floor of Aunt Mary Alice's and Uncle Jack's living room floor in Lakewood, OH.

A bottled city of Kandor story, a weird transformation story, and a time trave story, all for a dime (well, Sharon made me pay more than a dime).

CRRRGGG!

Jack

47305-SPJO53s.jpg

Wow. Now even Jack is being caught up in this chasing for the high grade hype! :o What has this world come down to!?!

:gossip: Congrats on the purchase. This is a very attractive copy and has some very very nice and clean yellows and greens. :applause:

Wow. Now even Jack is being caught up in this chasing for the high grade hype! :o What has this world come down to!?!

:gossip: Congrats on the purchase. This is a very attractive copy and has some very very nice and clean yellows and greens. :applause:

It's a nice clean front cover, for sure. My scanner oversaturates the yellow -- the background should be more pastel than the text box. Tough to adjust the levels without distorting.

Mid-grade copy. Edge tear on the back cover, weak lower right corner. Probably vg+ to fn-, but I'm happy with it.

Do you have the original pulp or Superboy precursors, or at least cover scans? (I know I've posted borrowed scans here, but no time to hunt for them now.)

Jack

Outstanding Superboy copy, AS! (worship)

To close the circle, here's the Pulp cover -

Thanks to adamstrange and Scrooge for the precursor covers -- to me, one of the most interesting parts of collecting.

Jack

I'm posting these 10¢ Lois Lane covers in the Silver Age artist contest over in General and decided to put them here too. Visit General for more comments.

Nice Curt Swan cover.

47458-sgfll11.jpg

Funky copy of (I think) Kurt Schaffenberger's first pencils on a Lois cover.

47457-sgfll25.jpg

Jack

Now, c'mon, Adamstrange! We've had more than a few conversations about how great Grandenetti's work was in Strong Bow. Grandenetti's work appeared solidly between ASW 72 and ASW 93. Strongbow IS in ASW 96, but Grandenetti's tenure ends in #93. I don't have the time to scan everything, but here are a few of the interiors along with the covers. Couldn't resist showing some of the other cool covers along with those.

asw89.jpg

asw93.jpg

asw87.jpg

asw88.jpg

Now, c'mon, Adamstrange! We've had more than a few conversations about how great Grandenetti's work was in Strong Bow. Grandenetti's work appeared solidly between ASW 72 and ASW 93. Strongbow IS in ASW 96, but Grandenetti's tenure ends in #93. I don't have the time to scan everything, but here are a few of the interiors along with the covers. Couldn't resist showing some of the other cool covers along with those.

asw89.jpg

asw93.jpg

asw87.jpg

asw88.jpg

I never see copies of All Star Western!!! Not my favorite run, but it's nice to see decent copies are out there. Super!!

Now, c'mon, Adamstrange! We've had more than a few conversations about how great Grandenetti's work was in Strong Bow.

doh! Forgot about that.