• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

one of my all time favorite DC covers. The coloring on this cover shows why DC dominated at this point in time. Atlas was entering it's blue & orange phase, with every title looking near identical, and DC was pumping out the most beautifully colored books of any era! And a gorilla too!

2092479054_2611865b9a_o.jpg

I'm certainly a big fan of the DC approach to color in the mid-50s. Not all were spectacular but quite a few are (I'd be very curious to know which were colored by Jack Adler).

Adamstrange - I agree, not every cover was done with that attention to color detail , but a good many were, starting around 1954 and running into 1960 or so. I too wonder if those are Adler covers.

And Scrooge, here is one more HOM, again , that beautiful deep green, and Kirby inside.

2092981424_fdcf595fb8_o.jpg

Adamstrange - I agree, not every cover was done with that attention to color detail , but a good many were, starting around 1954 and running into 1960 or so. I too wonder if those are Adler covers.

Another great set of books, Shiver! You've identified the time period when DC was printing with metallic inks that gave their colors an intensity that they had not had before nor since.

HOM85.jpg

MIS55.jpg

WoW! Those are two nice books. I really wish I could afford higher grade books, especially since I am collecting that era specifically for the cover art/ colors. I never knew that the printing inks had changed during that time, thanks for the explanation! Is there somewhere to read more about that? I noticed there was a gradual shift from the 40's into the 50's when DC stopped doing all primary color covers, and started to throw some other colors in the mix, but then it Just exploded mid decade! I wonder why they stopped using them, cost I'd imagine. They really are unlike anything else.

The colors on that HOS6 actually approach the feel of a schomburg airbrushed color, but even more subtle in areas like the men's shirts.

That HOM is High on my list to get next... :cloud9:

WoW! Those are two nice books. I really wish I could afford higher grade books, especially since I am collecting that era specifically for the cover art/ colors. I never knew that the printing inks had changed during that time, thanks for the explanation! Is there somewhere to read more about that? I noticed there was a gradual shift from the 40's into the 50's when DC stopped doing all primary color covers, and started to throw some other colors in the mix, but then it Just exploded mid decade! I wonder why they stopped using them, cost I'd imagine. They really are unlike anything else.

The colors on that HOS6 actually approach the feel of a schomburg airbrushed color, but even more subtle in areas like the men's shirts.

I don't recall anyone writing in any detail about the printing process and the inks used for comics, much less anything specific about DC. Even when DC reverted back to using primary colors there's still an extra "pop" to them because of the inks.

I'll bet the HOS 6 was Jack Adler's work since we know he was the instigator behind DC's use of graytones. The subtle, realistic use of colors on the two figures barging through the door is very unusual for DC -- but in a good way.

Adv248.jpg

Tomahwak62.jpg

GIC47.jpg

I don't recall anyone writing in any detail about the printing process and the inks used for comics, much less anything specific about DC. Even when DC reverted back to using primary colors there's still an extra "pop" to them because of the inks.

I'll bet the HOS 6 was Jack Adler's work since we know he was the instigator behind DC's use of graytones. The subtle, realistic use of colors on the two figures barging through the door is very unusual for DC -- but in a good way.

Adv248.jpg

Nice Cover!! Reminds me of Superman #132!!!! Except yours is the finest copy I've ever seen of #248!!! That Black cover is incredible!!! That's a real beauty!!! :headbang:

It's kinda funny, but in another post talking about books that are seldom seen in High grade, I stated Adv. #248 as one you NEVER see. Then lo and behold, Adam's copy shows up!!! Unbelievable!!! doh!

Superman132.jpg

Edited by Blind Owl

That Adventure is a great example of why I am starting to find 50s and 60s DCs appealing. They may be campy, but the color schemes are just outstanding.

It's much nicer than that ugly old 247. :insane:

This cover cracks me up, It's one of my faves from the postcard era... :cloud9:

2096463558_c74a4f5834_o.jpg

I am enjoying all the covers posted. Thanks everyone.

That Mr. DA's got to be an update on the early story, except this time there's an extra member to the Secret society -

48915-MrDA27.jpg.894437cba49e219b29c0b9a752eefd19.jpg