• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Why are we seeing books from the 1940s posted in this thread?

You post a few dozen sweet 10 centers and you can post whatever you want in this thread also. :makepoint:

This issue is Superboy's first showing in Adventure Comics. I have to say, the blue tone of this cover is just so pleasing.

AdventureComics103-1.jpg

Gorgeous! (worship)

Steelcity,

I have to say you have an amazing...stunning collection! Don't ever feel for a moment that no one is paying attention or that your "bragging" by posting one geougous comic after another. We are all comi\c lovers here and I appreciate you sharing this awesome collection with us.

Any Showcase, Brave and the Bold or Superman's?

When I bought my scanner, March 2006, in an initial burst of enthusiasm I scanned around 250 CGC books. Scanning fool that I was, I did them all at 96dpi, a default setting on the scanner. As a result, I am not happy with the quality of them.

I also selected around 1000 raw books to scan. However, I only did about 50 before I'd had enough. Since then, I have hardly scanned at all, mostly re-posting the same books. Even my newer buys are unscanned, though I do use seller's scans to post them here. My Dad has all my collection. He scanned most of Adventure #200-#300, Action #350-#400 and World's finest #150-#200 and posted quite a few himself.

So, if I can ever face it I have all my raw Marvels, Dells and Harveys to scan, plus lots more DC, including nearly all my books from the titles you mention. There are plenty of beautiful books awaiting, but they are all raw, not CGC.

I set my scanner to 96 dpi (except in special situations) and save it as a tif file. For the boards I convert it to a jpg. Basically 96 dpi is the max resolution on the web so if you scan at a higher resolution then you are just making the dimensions of you scan longer and the size of the resulting file larger. If you would like to print something then it makes sense to scan at a high rate but otherwise you should be fine.

And the scans look great from where I sit!

#106 is one of my favorite supes covers. And are there others who collect the contest Blurb issues? I love them, but couldn't figure it meant much to many people. While talking about collecting those without knowing why to 143ksk, he suggested that the advertising worked so well, it's STILL pulling me in to buy them Loooong after the contest is over! lol

And are there others who collect the contest Blurb issues?

I know of at least one person who does.

and, lastly for now, issue #108 from Sept of 1956;

Superman_013.jpg

What a fetishistic cover! The "hot women in uniform" angle combined with "discover my secret identity", which was usually treated as sexual innuendo in the 50s and 60s. This is nominally edited by Whit Ellsworth, but the de facto Superman editor was Mort Weisinger in 1956, right? Unca Mort loved this stuff.

Jack

The late 10 cent issues are usually not seen as very difficult to obtain, but that can be quite untrue, escpecially in higher grades.

I found these next two Actions tto be quite elusive in the grades I was looking for, yet abundant otherwise.

Here are the last two 10 cent Action Comics covers:

act281cgc.jpg

and, lastly for now, issue #108 from Sept of 1956;

Superman_013.jpg

What a fetishistic cover! The "hot women in uniform" angle combined with "discover my secret identity", which was usually treated as sexual innuendo in the 50s and 60s. This is nominally edited by Whit Ellsworth, but the de facto Superman editor was Mort Weisinger in 1956, right? Unca Mort loved this stuff.

Jack

interseting insight...an a cover I appreciate more now!