• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Here's the last of them. (Until I scan some more) grin.gif

Thanks Jeffro, you`ve certainly breathed some life back into this thread. Great books and great scans! What model scanner do you use?

It's an HP Scanjet 3400C. I picked it up 2-3 years ago at Office Depot for $50 if I remember correctly. I don't think HP makes this model anymore.

I use the same scanner, too. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Gil Kane inking his own work. Something we wasn't usually allowed to do.

897556-AllStarWest87.jpg

not until GL47. And he pencilled and inked the next few issues too!. I loved the release from Giella stiff brushwork. Kane on Kane is the best Kane inking!!

OFF48.jpg

Anyone else here reminded of the much later (but better known) "Flash of Two Worlds" cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif1428_2_123.jpg

I was thinkin the same thing kemosabe, so I checkd it on Mikes.

Flash 123 was September 1961

Fighting Forces #48 was 2 years earlier in August 1959, same month as Flash 108.

that site is so cool.. Who IS Mike? Is he on the boards?? Sure wish he was. Somebody get in touch with him and lets wish real hard. Who knows, matbe he'll appear! Just like Neal Adams did!!

You should be asking where he buys his books so you can get some comics about real men and not about those guys in spandex. poke2.gif

I figure you and your DC War crew have already got all the nice copies locked up. confused-smiley-013.gif

not until GL47. And he pencilled and inked the next few issues too!. I loved the release from Giella stiff brushwork. Kane on Kane is the best Kane inking!!

Good to see a fellow fan of Kane on Kane. There's some other stories/covers that he did from the different DC 50s titles. I was at dinner with Gil and Julie some years ago and he was still ribbing Julie about not letting him ink his own work. Julie wanted the productivity from the pencillers and he preferred the inks of Anderson/Giella/Greene over the more distinctive stylings of Kane or Infantino.

Edited by adamstrange

Nice catch, Zonker re: Flash of Two Worlds. DC recycled quite a few cover designs, although usually done with the title controlled by a single editor. In this case, you have a Kanigher edited-book with a Grandenetti cover later used on a Fox-edited title by Infantino.

My suspicion is that it might not/probably wasn't a swipe. On the Flash 123, you have to think of a dramatic way to introduce both Flash's on the cover. You want them in action (thus the falling girder) but not able to see each other (separated by a wall), drawn large enough to be distinguishable on the newstand, and done so that the kid looking to buy the comic knows more than the two Flash's. Looks like a good solution to me.

Neal Adams is now lurking. Can we get Carmine on the boards?

Good to see a fellow fan of Kane on Kane. There's some other stories/covers that he did from the different DC 50s titles. I was at dinner with Gil and Julie some years ago and he was still ribbing Julie about not letting him ink his own work. Julie wanted the productivity from the pencillers and he preferred the inks of Anderson/Giella/Greene over the more distinctive stylings of Kane or Infantino.

Marvel wised up later on too. letting Gil ink his own Hulk covers, etc. I loved his linework. So refreshing after seeing all his other more "polished" inkers for so many years.

Marvel wised up later on too. letting Gil ink his own Hulk covers, etc. I loved his linework. So refreshing after seeing all his other more "polished" inkers for so many years.

Kane on Kane is indeed great. I'm lucky enough to own a piece of original art from Marvel Team Up 13 and whoever inked him on that book just destroyed Kane's pencils. frown.gif

The best thing about Kane is his "up the nose" shots. grin.gif

I picked up a couple of new SA books in Chicago (well, actually a lot of new SA books, but most of them are Archies). I thought this cover was hilarious. "Krypto hates you!" lol

898425-sb64.jpg

898425-sb64.jpg.73f29e5f06bb0fc2a3003a52e079cc94.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

Hi Jeffro,

Great books. You're the first member who has posted a fairly extensive showing of war books that I've seen. I just happen to have a considerable assortment of war books which are all available. The following:

Combat #s 1,2,4,5,6,7 and 10. These range from grade 6-9.

G.I. Combat #s 86,87,89,90,91,92,93,95,96,200,102 Also grades 6-9.

All American Men of War #s 86,87,89,90,93,88. Range from 5-8.

Our Army at War #s 108,110,113,114,123,124,136. Range from 6-8.

Our Fighting Forces #s 60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,70,71,78. Range from 6-9+.

Star Spangle War Stories #s 81,92,97,98,100,104,105,99,101. Range from 6-8.

I am not a dealer or collector. I've acquired these from an old friend and am selling them for her.

If you are interested please pm me and we can work something out.

Thanks.

You're the first member who has posted a fairly extensive showing of war books that I've seen.

Adamstrange has shown his fair share of war books, either here or in the GA forum. gossip.gif