• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif That cover's great!

The next 2 books were brought to me by one of my employees. Her mother was cleaning out her house and came across a small group of books from the late '50s and early '60s. Pretty cool cloud9.gif

1179831-cgc7004.jpg

Sounds you like made a good hire. thumbsup2.gif

Love that late 50s/early 60s DC green on that cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

My scanner seems to lose some of the richness of the deep colors DC used back then, whether it is green, blue, purple, or red. Oh well.

This one scanned pretty nicely for a certain someone who seem to like pink on his war covers. laugh.gif

OAAW67.jpg

My scanner seems to lose some of the richness of the deep colors DC used back then, whether it is green, blue, purple, or red. Oh well.

This one scanned pretty nicely for a certain someone who seem to like pink on his war covers. laugh.gif

OAAW67.jpg

LOVING THE PINK.

And the green!

I have been off the silver books lately as I clean up my bronze runs... but oh man, I am gonna buy me some silver DC war in the next little while!!!

Stellar books, Adamstrange!

Shep

Doing the group shots the hard way. (I know, definitely a bunch of 12cent books in there.)

DCWarGroup.jpg

Are you using an HP scanner? That's what I use and I get the same effect (too much yellow added that mutes the other colors and dulls the whites). I usually have to adjust the colors in Photoshop to get them to show up close to the true colors.

Anyway, if those are examples of "muted" colors on your book, I'd hate to see how blinding they are in person! hail.gif

Are you using an HP scanner? That's what I use and I get the same effect (too much yellow added that mutes the other colors and dulls the whites). I usually have to adjust the colors in Photoshop to get them to show up close to the true colors.

Anyway, if those are examples of "muted" colors on your book, I'd hate to see how blinding they are in person! hail.gif

Epson Perfection 1650, though I'm thinking of getting a new in the next few months.

I have a scaled-down version of Photoshop (PS Elements) but I've stayed away from mucking too much with colors. I'm not sure it's extra yellow as I have trouble picking up a bright lemon yellow -- it's always duller than the book.

I do a few things like adjust sharpness/contrast but I haven't been able to make refinements other than that I felt helped me create a more accurate image.

The green on that particular copy is less intense than some from that era, like the Tomahawk below, which I bought specifically for the dramatic coloring:

Tomahwak62.jpg

Here's an example of the red being a slightly dark red rather than pure cherry red. cloud9.gif

HOM85.jpg

Epson Perfection 1650, though I'm thinking of getting a new in the next few months.

I have a scaled-down version of Photoshop (PS Elements) but I've stayed away from mucking too much with colors. I'm not sure it's extra yellow as I have trouble picking up a bright lemon yellow -- it's always duller than the book.

I do a few things like adjust sharpness/contrast but I haven't been able to make refinements other than that I felt helped me create a more accurate image.

The green on that particular copy is less intense than some from that era, like the Tomahawk below, which I bought specifically for the dramatic coloring:

Tomahwak62.jpg

Here's an example of the red being a slightly dark red rather than pure cherry red. cloud9.gif

HOM85.jpg

I remember talking to Tim about your books when you first started posting on the boards. He couldn't figure out how you got your scans to show colors so intensely -- then after a while I think he realized that it's the books themselves! 27_laughing.gif Those are just killer, killer colors. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to post some more scans later on.

Nice! Thanks for posting! thumbsup2.gif

I remember talking to Tim about your books when you first started posting on the boards. He couldn't figure out how you got your scans to show colors so intensely -- then after a while I think he realized that it's the books themselves! Those are just killer, killer colors.

You can tell Tim that it's all in the wrist! 27_laughing.gif

There are times when the scan will look better than book as it may hide certain defects or make the book appear brighter than it does in real life. If you look at the GA cover contest for the Startling 49, that scan of that book is too bright. It looked odd enough that I looked it up on the Heritage site and it has been altered -- the large pic they have is much more reflective of what the book actually looks like. I sometimes struggle with that in doing my scans as I would like them to be reflective of the book I'm scanning. To some degree this isn't possible because, even if you could reflect the colors properly, you couldn't reflect qualities of the ink, sizing, paper, etc. The print qualities of comics from the 40s and 50s vary far more than the comics from say 1965 until you get to the foil variant phase. But in a number of cases, I don't feel like the colors are close to accurate.

There is only so much you can do to manipulate a book if the colors are faded and the cover has yellowed. Given time, I'm sure Redhook could do a great job with most any scan, but I think that doing something quickly requires clean source material. I would actually be interested to see what RH would do to improve the scans. I'm sure there are some general tips, but I suspect that would be interesting to watch him trying to make the scans match the HOM and Tomahawk books I posted previously.

I had a professional photog take some pics of the comics and that didn't turn out all that well either as the photos couldn't capture the vibrancy of many of the colors. My brother, who has seen the photos, the scans, and the comics, prefers the photos. By an overwhelming margin, I prefer the scans over the photos.

In any event, the real secret to the scans is that I generally place the books naked on the bed of the scanner. Tim could do that too. devil.gif

Here's an example of scanning through mylar vs. scanning the book directly. This is also a good example of how a scan makes a book look worse. The "dirtiness" on the upper third of the spine is from the printing press. The one stress mark in that area is exaggerated. The top edge of the book looks like it is bent, but it's not -- it's a near flawless overhang for a Marvel. What you are seeing is the edge of the back cover that has been bent in ever so slightly. If I placed the book on the scanner upside down, the top of the cover would look as solid in the scan as the bottom does is this scan.

ST97.jpg

STx97v2.jpg