• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,638 posts in this topic

Nice books, big5er!

I think you'll find you have a lot of fun reading material in those earlier issues.

KILLER B&B... I love those.

Just posted over on the 'This week in your collection', but appopriate for this thread too..

All American Men of War #7. Irv Novick cover, and one of the best covers among the early-run Big 5 books.

aamow9.jpg

Grat cover, reminds me of that classic World War cartoon (which I believe was the first cartoon to win an oscar) where the humans all die and the last two alive have the gas masks on and both kill each other. Leaving the world to all the cute woodland animals living in Communistic bliss.

Hey guys,

Picked up a pretty monstrous stack of DC war this month (over 50 books!) all 10-centers. I'll post some of the nicer/more unusual ones in the coming weeks as I scan and upload them.

One of the nicest? This sharp copy of Our Fighting Forces #61 with just ridiculous colour. The pink is flaming!

Shep

off61.jpg

Hey guys,

Picked up a pretty monstrous stack of DC war this month (over 50 books!) all 10-centers. I'll post some of the nicer/more unusual ones in the coming weeks as I scan and upload them.

One of the nicest? This sharp copy of Our Fighting Forces #61 with just ridiculous colour. The pink is flaming!

Shep

off61.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif WOW!

I applaud the completist in you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Any idea how many total people have completed a big 5 collection?

It's a good question, and one I have asked DC war collectors many times.

I do know one collector in the midwest who has a full set of DC war books.... and he's been collecting for many, many, many years (ie, was buying 10-centers off the shelf and still has them in his collection). I also recently sold some books to a collector on the east coast who says he is 5 books away.

Chris Pedrin is rumoured to have two complete sets.

There are a couple of DC completists who, by dint of having complete DC collections, must have full war runs.

By my estimation, ten... maybe 15 complete collections of these books. Hard to say, though, because there are enthusiastic fans of these books who operate outside of fandom in general.

I hope to have them all in about 5 years! I'm actually enjoying these early books much more than I had anticipated... there are some very, very good art jobs in them.

Shep

I applaud the completist in you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Any idea how many total people have completed a big 5 collection?

It's a good question, and one I have asked DC war collectors many times.

I do know one collector in the midwest who has a full set of DC war books.... and he's been collecting for many, many, many years (ie, was buying 10-centers off the shelf and still has them in his collection). I also recently sold some books to a collector on the east coast who says he is 5 books away.

Chris Pedrin is rumoured to have two complete sets.

There are a couple of DC completists who, by dint of having complete DC collections, must have full war runs.

By my estimation, ten... maybe 15 complete collections of these books. Hard to say, though, because there are enthusiastic fans of these books who operate outside of fandom in general.

I hope to have them all in about 5 years! I'm actually enjoying these early books much more than I had anticipated... there are some very, very good art jobs in them.

Shep

Why would Chris Pedrin own 2? That's somewhat mind boggling! I guess automatically we can count Ian and Christine since they both own "all DC's". I would guess your right, maybe a dozen? Even that numger sounds high considering some of those books have to be pretty scarce.

How many books in total make for a complete big 5 collection?

How many books in total make for a complete big 5 collection?

Here's what Shep mentioned in his My Big Run at the Big 5 Run thread in Modern a little while ago -

"No ignorance at all, as 'Big Five' is a bit of an insider term.

The Big Five refers to the five main war titles that DC published between 1952 and 1988. They are:

Star Spangled War (which was retitled The Unknown Solider) 270 issues

G.I. Combat (aquired from Quality as of issue #44) 224 issues

Our Army at War (which was retitle Sgt. Rock) 421 issues

Our Fighting Forces 181 issues

All American Men of War 117 issues.

That's a whopping 1213 issues!!!!

Then, there's the 'Little Five' - other DC war titles that had smaller or later runs.

Blitzkrieg 5 issues

Captain Storm 20 issues approx (haven't got my guide handy)

Weird War Tales 124 issues

Men of War 26 issues

All Out War 6 issues"

Yeah, roughly 1400 issues, not including appearances by war characters in other books, digests, a few 100 page giants under different titles, etc.

I'm in the 1050-1100 ballpark. I've picked up a fair number of silver books in the past few months, and I'm still updating my list and getting them filed away. It's been a really busy spring and summer.

Shep