• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Let me be the first to say 893whatthe.gif and 893applaud-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Could GA be just around the bend?

You know, I must have seen the words "Greggy" but just continued reading on because my brain just wouldn't compute that word in a SA 10 cent thread.

Welcome to the thread Gregster! 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of the more difficult issues and less seen. Far less sillier than the number 10 stooges.gif

jo11.jpg

One of the best covers from the first twenty issues, and, as you say, very hard to find. Apart from my own copy, this is only the second other decent looking one I have ever seen. The colors on this copy vary a bit from mine.

Really enjoying your Jimmy Olsens, Silver!

This particular one was the oldest in the batch and one of the sharpest, so it was about $7.50! I didn't want to turn my posts into an accounting list, esp. since most people here are impressed by how much you can spend on a funnybook, not how little.

sign-funnypost.gif

You think I'm joking.

CGC forum meeting in a bar:

I just bought a new Camry.

Oh yeah? What'd you pay?

$20,000.

Hah! I just bought one for $25,000.

D-o-o-od! yay.gif You gotta tell me how you found it! takeit.gif

Jack

This particular one was the oldest in the batch and one of the sharpest, so it was about $7.50! I didn't want to turn my posts into an accounting list, esp. since most people here are impressed by how much you can spend on a funnybook, not how little.

sign-funnypost.gif

You think I'm joking.

Oh yeah? What'd you pay?

$20,000.

Jack

sumo.gifsign-rantpost.gif you have to come to one of the forum dinners before you can make that claim! After that, you'll be free to comment tongue.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Coming to Chicago this year?

Please post more of the Lewis books if you have them ...

You think I'm joking.

Oh yeah? What'd you pay?

$20,000.

Jack

sumo.gifsign-rantpost.gif you have to come to one of the forum dinners before you can make that claim! After that, you'll be free to comment tongue.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Coming to Chicago this year?

I should have been in Chicago last week for the American Chemical Society Natl Meeting and skipped it! Not likely that I'll get there for a comic-book con. I've never been to a real one -- just a few small local shows before ebay killed them off.

It does look like fun, but I'd have to leave the credit cards at home with my self-control.

I have 3 Dean/Jerrys, but you just saw the only one with a cover. Small stacks of Jerrys, Bobs (including #7 and 16) and Dobies (#1!, 21 and 23 -- just posted #23 in the 12¢ thread). I'll see what I have within scanning distance. 3 Sgt Bilkos and 2 Pvt Dobermans coming soon!

Jack

Guess nobody liked my GL #7 on the previous page sorry.gif

I liked them both jes' fine!

Here's some dancing fruit.

yay.gif

Better?

In fact, the low-grade one would fill a hole in my want list wonderfully, and be the highest grade by far in that part of the run.

Jack

Guess nobody liked my GL #7 on the previous page sorry.gif

I liked them both jes' fine!

Here's some dancing fruit.

yay.gif

Better?

In fact, the low-grade one would fill a hole in my want list wonderfully, and be the highest grade by far in that part of the run.

Jack

I couldn't see past Greggy. confused-smiley-013.gif

seeing as how two nice Jimmy Olsen 12's posted in the last day, I will skip my lower graded copy and resume with number 13 tomorrow.

Sorry, Danny, it was a bit thoughtless of me to post my #12 today. I will be more considerate in future. Please post both your #12 and #13 tomorrow for completeness sake! -Ian

How's this?

1730268-bobhope7.jpg

Adventures of Bob Hope 7 from 1951. Bottom staple detached, top one endangered, but only about $9 and I love it anyway.

Maybe that won't do. Zee Frainch, zey love Zhay-ree Lew-ees!

Jack

How's this?

<snip>

Adventures of Bob Hope 7 from 1951. Bottom staple detached, top one endangered, but only about $9 and I love it anyway.

Jack

$9 893whatthe.gif What's gotten into you spending that kind of dough!! poke2.gif

I like both the Martin and Lewis and the Bob Hope series covers but I have never read an issue ... wait, I have a Bob Hope book. I'll check it out this weekend. Keep'em coming. thumbsup2.gif

How's this?

<snip>

Jack

$9 893whatthe.gif What's gotten into you spending that kind of dough!! poke2.gif

I'm so embarrassed. Sometimes the collecting fever just sweeps me away.

I like both the Martin and Lewis and the Bob Hope series covers but I have never read an issue ... wait, I have a Bob Hope book. I'll check it out this weekend. Keep'em coming. thumbsup2.gif

Sometimes funny, sometimes just corny.

I haven't read a lot of them, but I'd say that the early Dean/Jerrys are funniest, then early Bobs, then Jerrys. After the shark-jumps (Harvard-Harvard the talking dog, the superhero and monster gimmicks, etc.) they can be sort of tiresome. With all due respect to Arnold Drake's better work, his humor on Bob and Jerry (1964 on, more or less) can be too forced for my taste, sort of like Bob Haney's strained hipness.

I'll be interested in finding out how well the Bilkos hold up. I don't know whether they adapted the TV show or were independent stories.

Jack