• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Flash #123 before it goes to CGC

50 posts in this topic

I was wondering what I would expect from CGC on this one? Pages are OFF-WHITE TO WHITE. Some minor edge tanning, but NOT inside, only along the edge of the back cover. There is a small stain near SA flash's far arm. Stain did not transfer to the other side of the cover. Gloss is good and colors are bright. No hidden defects. I'm hoping for a CGC VF+ 8.5.

Here is a link to a CGC VF 8.0 that sold at Heritage. LINK I think mine is much nicer.

flash123.jpg

flash123b.jpg

I agree with your assessment, looks about a 8.0/8.5. Evident spine streeses and edge wear would bring the grade down, but overall a very sharp copy.

I agree with the 8.0/8.5, Rick. Although I think the FC stain is what will bring the book down the most. Those spine stresses and edge wear would not be inconsistent with 9.0/8.5, but the staining will keep the book out of 9.0 and possibly out of 8.5 when viewed in conjunction with the rest of the defects.

As I have found out on several occasions, any kind of staining will kill the grade of a book. frown.gif

It's a beautiful book, but CGC really downgrades for stains. I'd say 8.0.

Any way of getting that stain off but avoiding getting a purple label? You can feel it when you rub your finger on it. It almost rubs off, but I don't want to play with it.

Any way of getting that stain off but avoiding getting a purple label? You can feel it when you rub your finger on it. It almost rubs off, but I don't want to play with it.

Maybe. It's worth sending to Matt Nelson for a look, on that particular book. Between the stain removal and a simple NDP press job, you could be looking at a 9.0. www.comicrestoration.com.

Maybe. It's worth sending to Matt Nelson for a look, on that particular book. Between the stain removal and a simple NDP press job, you could be looking at a 9.0. www.comicrestoration.com.

Or he could send to you Scott and you could just scrape it off with your thumbnail. confused-smiley-013.gif

Or he could send to you Scott and you could just scrape it off with your thumbnail. confused-smiley-013.gif

Using your thumbnail would leave a surface impression, which is a definite defect. And what if some color flakes off with it? Then you've got two defects, both of which CGC would hammer you for.

On a book like that, it's better to leave it to a professional and spend the $100 to remove the stain and get the NDP, especially considering the difference in valuation between an 8.0 and a 9.0 copy of that book. Just my opinion.

I concur.

That's a 10 cent issues and structurally it's on the border of 9.0 with the creases. If the rest of the book was perfect (i.e. no non-color breaking creases or stain), it would have a shot at 9.0.

Depends on if the stain is just on the front cover or transfers to the interior. And if it's just an ink/dirt smudge or is it moisture?

No your book is nicer, but from my experience with them it may go 8.0, but I'd say 7.5. Good Luck with it, and it's not like I'm 2-2.5 grade off, just 1 grade max. thumbsup2.gif

Depending on how bad the stain is, it very well could get a 7.5 even though it looks nicer than the one on Heritage. CGC really does just hammer books with stains, especially if they are three-dimensional.

You're looking at a roughly $2,000 difference in value between an 8.0 (approx. $1,000) and a 9.0 (approx. $3,000). It's definitely worth sending it to Matt to see what he can do about the stain/gunk on the cover.

very nice looking book - beautiful edges. thumbsup2.gif

the tiny crease in the LRC, the stain you pointed out and the dent just above the date stamp are your biggest worries. i think the book is in the 7.5 - 8.0 range as is.............

Using your thumbnail would leave a surface impression, which is a definite defect. And what if some color flakes off with it? Then you've got two defects, both of which CGC would hammer you for.

On a book like that, it's better to leave it to a professional and spend the $100 to remove the stain and get the NDP, especially considering the difference in valuation between an 8.0 and a 9.0 copy of that book. Just my opinion.

I didn't ask for your opinion, I was commenting on your amateur restoration skills. hail.gif

The stain is almost like a sticky smudge. Almost like if a sticker was removed and that substance was left when removed... but it’s not from a sticker. NO transfer to the interior side of the cover. I will send it to Trace @ eclipsepaper for removal. She's in Canada 893applaud-thumb.gif

The stain is almost like a sticky smudge. Almost like if a sticker was removed and that substance was left when removed... but it’s not from a sticker. NO transfer to the interior side of the cover. I will send it to Trace @ eclipsepaper for removal. She's in Canada 893applaud-thumb.gif

He is in Canada. I would go with Matt Nelson. I don't believe that Tracey Heft will press the book for you without taking it apart, which will get you the purple label.

OK, I am seriously worried about my scan grading abilities cuz I don't see this stain everyone else seems to see.

Can one of you kind folks (or any of the rest of you stooges.gif) point out the obvious to me?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan