• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AKIRA Live from Warner Bros
1 1

46 posts in this topic

AKIRA Live-Action Movie To Be Written By Daredevil Season 2 Showrunner

Marco J. Ramirez has been hired by Warner Bros. to pen a -script for a live-action take on Akira, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

If at first you don't succeed,: Try, try, try again. That's the mantra Warner Bros. has had with Akira. Over the years, the studio has brought in many screenwriters and directors to tackle a live-action remake of Katsuhiro Otomo's 1988 Japanese animated classic Akira. All of those attempts came up empty.

In 2012, cameras were about to roll on Akira, but WB pulled the plug when the budget issues couldn't be resolved in a timely fashion. That version would've been directed by Jaume Collet-Serra and starred Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter.

You watch, this will be whitewashed to high heaven with the exception of a token Asian actor and will take place in Neo New York instead of Neo Tokyo. :P

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this one. I absolutely love Akira, it's a thing of absolute beauty IMO. I just can't comprehend it working nearly as well in live action. I'll hope for the best though. I'd like it if they took a more drama approach through the story line in a gritty way rather than far fetched "live" action special effects cheesy nightmare.

Akira is one of those films I could never understand why the majority of people like the film so much. I ask the question what do they like about the film the general answer is the motorcycle race and scenes with the motorcycle. I then asked what else they liked about the film and the general answer I get is not much really. I do not think the general person understands the plot

The truth is though the film to this day animation is some of the best I have ever seen, but at the same time a film that is so complex that you take something different away from it each time or notice something new. So I don't think the general person even understands the plot of the film or what is going on in the end.

Akira is one of those films I could never understand why the majority of people like the film so much. I ask the question what do they like about the film the general answer is the motorcycle race and scenes with the motorcycle. I then asked what else they liked about the film and the general answer I get is not much really. I do not think the general person understands the plot

The truth is though the film to this day animation is some of the best I have ever seen, but at the same time a film that is so complex that you take something different away from it each time or notice something new. So I don't think the general person even understands the plot of the film or what is going on in the end.

I like it because the motorcycles go VROOOOMM and the telepathic monsters are all like RAAAWWRRR and the laser guns go PETWEWWW PETWEWWW

Akira is one of those films I could never understand why the majority of people like the film so much....I do not think the general person understands the plot.

It speaks to a younger generations view of the world - unobtainable wealth, secretive untrustable government, inner city decay and poverty, mixed in with latent superpowers to rise above it and rebel.

The explanation of why things are this way isn't as important as the cause and effects of the actions within the structure of it. It gives an added realism to NOT explain the specifics.

The Walking Dead never has (and never will, apparently) explain what exactly has happened to turn people into zombies, but that isn't important to the success of the series - it's the actions of the characters within a world they don't understand. The frustration of not knowing there's a 'solution' and how they can get to it.

There's no 'safety zone' to get to.. no happily ever after.

Yeah, in 1989 when i first saw it, I was blown away by the animation. Having grown up with Astro Boy and Speed Racer, it blew away anything I'd ever seen in animation, and hold's it own even now.

I'd much rather see a anime series that way they can expand more on the themes from the manga.

I totally agree. The animated Akira film matched the manga for the 1st part of the film but really boiled down so much of the source material later. It would be great to have a series that could include the rival gangs in the post destroyed neo-Tokyo. It would also be possible to have a more explained ending too.

Rumor: AKIRA To Be Trilogy, Christopher Nolan Possibly Involved

The saga of the long-gestating Warner Bros.’ live action adaptation of Akira is a rumor that suggests the project will be a trilogy, and that The Dark Knight’s Christopher Nolan has spoken to Warner Bros. about taking on the project.

Den of Geek reports that they’ve heard Nolan has met with within the past three months with an unnamed filmmaker previously attached to the project. Nolan’s next film is slated for July 2017 and, while no details about the film have been released, the gears on this massive project would have to be spinning pretty fast for the first Akira movie to make it to theaters by then. That said, Akira would make for an appropriately huge summer blockbuster effort.