• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, it's already June...why isn't there a thread on the new overstreet?

55 posts in this topic

I love it... The market reports are extremely valuable, and some of the articles are incredibly well-researched and useful... The taxonomy of variants in #40 is invaluable.

I'm buying it this year because I'll be selling a 500+ piece 1950s OO collection of offbeat & obscure books -- probably only 10 superhero comics in the whole thing.

They're the type of obscure Sci Fi / Dell / humor / war books not likely to be on eBay at any given time, so it will make the initial identification and pricing easier.

Echoing another poster, I wait for the Hero Initiative cover, which I usually pick up at a show. I don't use it for a reference often, but I like reading the market reports and enjoy the full color pics of older books, "Hall of Fame", stuff like that. I sort of look at it like a Comic Collecting Yearbook. The information may be instantly obsolete, but I enjoy thumbing through history. Also, the hardcovers are pretty and look nice on the shelf.

why aren't we talking about it?

[font:Book Antiqua]Because GPA made it Obsolete ?[/font]

(shrug)

So there are no more books left raw?

They've all now been slabbed? :o

Who knew...

Most definitely as I don't think GPA is really relevant to the overall general comic book marketplace.

From what I can see and whenever I attend comic conventions or visit a LCS, slabbed books only make up a very tiny fractional portion of the real marketplace. The real trade in comics is in raw books, with slabbed books segregated to a very important, but highly publicized niche within the overall comic book marketplace.

If you go to an comic convention, everybody still uses the price guide to one extent or another. Even the major auction houses all seem to use it as a reference point in their auction listings, as I certainly don't see any reference to GPA prices. hm

(shrug)

Who knew...

Most definitely as I don't think GPA is really relevant to the overall general comic book marketplace.

From what I can see and whenever I attend comic conventions or visit a LCS, slabbed books only make up a very tiny fractional portion of the real marketplace. The real trade in comics is in raw books, with slabbed books segregated to a very important, but highly publicized niche within the overall comic book marketplace.

If you go to an comic convention, everybody still uses the price guide to one extent or another. Even the major auction houses all seem to use it as a reference point in their auction listings, as I certainly don't see any reference to GPA prices. hm

As in "sold a slabbed 9.2 ASM (insert issue number here) for 2.5x OPG". As a price guide, it is almost irrelevant. As a reference guide, its still very good, but not necessary to purchase every year.

As in "sold a slabbed 9.2 ASM (insert issue number here) for 2.5x OPG". As a price guide, it is almost irrelevant. As a reference guide, its still very good, but not necessary to purchase every year.

Any idea if a "raw" ASM ( say an issue #126 or #426) would also sell at multiples to guide.

After all, the overwhelming majority of these more common issues would sell raw as opposed to being sold slabbed.

I'm waiting on Andy's war report. :banana:

Another good one this year. (thumbs u

Let me tell you,your report,as well as other board members reports are the only reason I buy Overstreet guide every year. (worship)

(shrug)

Who knew...

Couldn't disagree more.

But hey, what do I know? I'm only in comics retail and have been for 20 years.

(shrug)

Who knew...

Couldn't disagree more.

I guess it depends on what you collect and/or deal in. I'd be surprised if OPG prices were even accurate within 50% of the actual value on more than 10% of my collection. Taking a decade to break out issues that sell for ten times more than surrounding issues also seems reasonable... almost as reasonable as slowly and steadily increasing prices across the board, regardless of validity.

Do the OSPG prices ever go down?

I remember I was buying a lower dollar book from a guy(about $30) and I was referencing last years Overstreet guide, he demanded that I use this years issue, so we pulled out his new guide, and the price had dropped by $5 to $25. He was so upset that the price had gone down, but I insisted that we use the "new" price since he was so adamant about using the current guide.

lol, I don't think I even have the book anymore, but I enjoyed that purchase for many reasons. (thumbs u

Do the OSPG prices ever go down?

G/VG/F used to be 10/20/40% of NM, then F dropped to 33% of NM. When the percentages slid down to 5/10/15%, the $400 I'd spent on a 5.5 Giant-Size X-Men 1 started looking like a very bad idea...

Doug Sulipa does have the most comprehensive market reports and am always looking forward to what he has to say. I've got an 18,000+collection as I've collected runs over the last 26 years. I don't know, maybe that's what you need in a collection to make the book more interesting?

I can understand why anyone collecting hi-grade could find this book next to useless. But I also think the guide is very useful in understanding market trends even if it's about what happened last year. You may read about things you didn't know about. A lot happens in a year.

Always interested in any news on the new overstreet and usually we've got a thread going that has at least a few dozen posts already. It's already June and I'm wondering...why aren't we talking about it?

Because the release date is July 8.

Where is a good place to pre-order one?

I buy one every year because I have 2-up and a sample copy of #1.

(shrug)

Who knew...

Couldn't disagree more.

Newb :baiting: