• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #110 help please

60 posts in this topic

Great book, Dan. Outstanding eye appeal, and looks real fresh. thumbsup2.gif

I'd say 7.0 due to the tear on the top edge BC, spine stresses and soft looking (at least on my laptop) TRC FC. Take a close look at the spine just to make sure there aren't a bunch of non-color breaking stresses to go along with the breaking ones. I could be wrong, but I think the tear might be the deal breaker that keeps it out of 7.5 unless it is a production defect.

It is a nice looking book. There is no tear TE BC, just a crease. Don't know how it got there. I had to look at the book again because it wasn't in the notes.

Thanks.

Dan

I was going to say possibly a 6.5 but I suspect the spine is in worst shape than it looks. Too many cracks and the back cover looks a little funky. 7.5 maybe the day after CGC had their XMas party don't you think? Borock, dim the lights I have a hang over. confused-smiley-013.gif

One way to find out. Dan, send it to CGC. If it grades below 7.0 I will reimburse you the slabbing fee.

Scott,

I will definitely have to think about taking you up on that. There is some spine wear that barely shows up in the scan on the back cover (near the "Famous Artist Talent Test") that made me think about dropping it below what you thought. Take a second look and see if you still want to gamble... poke2.gif

Thanks again for the opinions.

Dan

Even though your JIM 88 is lower grade, that might be a CGC candidate. Also your Spotlight 5 might be a candidate for a quick turn around - now is the time to start selling that hot issue.

Hmm I will have to speak with the guy that is hosting my books. You aren't supposed to see all of them yet... confused.gif

Dan

Just looked at 3 J.I.M.'s on the Link that were 7.5's and the spine stress on this book is generally in worst shape. I may have been off with my initial 6.0 assessment but a 6.5, 7.0 is probably the best case scenario. There is also an issue #84 (7.0) that looks very similar but the back cover is much cleaner and doesn't have the same amount of dings as this book. Send it in for grading it should be interesting. popcorn.gif

P.S. Send it "express". Look out FFB it may cost you "way more" than your anticipating. stooges.gif . 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif No way, man! WALKTHROUGH TIER!!!! headbang.gifyay.gif

I don't think your book looks any worse than this one. In fact, it looks better. The spine is similar, and the bottom corners on my FF#8 are pretty rounded (not to mention the 1/8" bottom spine split). There are also a couple of thumb dents you can't see under the "Four" in the logo, and several that you can see along the bottom edge of the back cover.

ff8-70OW.jpg

ff8-70OWb.jpg

Here is another 7.0 I have that looks worse than your book. Your book has more wear to the spine, but your top edge is nicer and you don't have the faint, long creases along the right edge. By the way, the crease through the Thing's head in the logo of this book penetrates the entire book, not just the cover.

ff48-70W.jpg

my original guess was and is 6.5.........too many noticeable spine creases on the soiled backcover spine, to go along with the rest of the minor defects. would be nice to take scott up on his offer, just to see what CGC thinks?!?!?

still a nice copy...... thumbsup2.gif

my original guess was and is 6.5.........too many noticeable spine creases on the soiled backcover spine, to go along with the rest of the minor defects. would be nice to take scott up on his offer, just to see what CGC thinks?!?!?

still a nice copy...... thumbsup2.gif

screwy.gif

yay.gifpoke2.gif

The corners are stronger on your 7.0 FF 8 FFB. gossip.gif

Check the back cover scan of the JIM 110 and look carefully at the spine corners.

Both are dinged a bit.

Check the back cover scan of the JIM 110 and look carefully at the spine corners.

Both are dinged a bit.

Are we looking at the same FF#8? Both bottom corners on my FF#8 are ROUNDED and the spine corner has a 1/8" split. That is how the book looks. It is not a trick of the scan. At least Dan's JIM#110 has reasonably square corners.

Dan,

How many thumb dents/surface impressions does your book have? Unless there are a bunch of them, I can't see lower than 7.0.

Both are dinged a bit.

Are we looking at the same FF#8? Both bottom corners on my FF#8 are ROUNDED and the spine corner has a 1/8" split. That is how the book looks. It is not a trick of the scan. At least Dan's JIM#110 has reasonably square corners.

Dan,

How many thumb dents/surface impressions does your book have? Unless there are a bunch of them, I can't see lower than 7.0.

Actually it is mostly wysiwyg as far as dents/surface impressions. Nothing extra when held at different angles in the light.

Thanks again for all observations from everyone. Guess it was a tougher book to gauge.

Dan

After just getting a new batch of CGC books back I'd guess low 5.5, high would be 7.0. But that is just guessing at covers and not seeing the insides!

I'd guess from your grades - that you were HARSHLY initiated? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I'd go along with the 7.0 - but I suppose CGC could end up giving it anything from a 6.0 to a 7.5. It's hard to gauge scans of books in this range - subtle dings and bends aren't always obvious or conversely can seem magnified in a scan. Currin, if you're getting 4.5s that look like this then you need to resubmit.

Dan - the safe bet, judging from responses to various guess the grade threads, is that CGC will grade it .5 to 1.0 higher than what most people on these boards think they will.