• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volume of Silver Surfer #1-18...worth what, exactly?

12 posts in this topic

I have no idea. I'd auction it off but I also might bid on it if you do. I'd love to read the entire sage in one sitting!

For GA bound volumes the value could, on some level be ascertained, by approximating the value of each book if it were removed from the binding, taking into consideration the damage done to the book through the binding process (likely punctures, completely detached covers/wraps, probably trimmed etc.).

For particularly valuable GA books you could also factor in the approx. restoration costs and expected value after restoration costs for certain key books.

Doing this with SS 1-18 won't work, because none of those issues have any real value when removed from the binding (even issues 1 or 4). Removing any books from the binding probably renders the whole thing worthless.

The value is just what someone would pay as a novelty.

The only way you can know what the novelty value is, is to auction it.

One of these sold on e-bay not that long ago for a few hundred - price seemed reasonable.

If I saw it sitting on a table at a show, I'd pay $150 for it. Maybe even a little more if it were nicely put together and not trimmed too tight. Would be a nice piece for the collection. The FM reprints are selling for almost that now.

Hey Chip, I have seen some of these books fetch a hefty sum. There are people who do like these. Might I suggest, if you are going to eBay it, that you start the bid at the min of what you are willing to take and let the bidders do the rest.

There was an auction in Canada, last year, that I was watching some original Vamprella bound that went for well over $100 per volume.

The books show no evidence of trimming. I'm not sure what it would take to "un-bind" everything, and the individual books look to be low-to-mid grade as they sit bound.

You don't want to unbind it, unless it was falling apart and you sent it in for rebinding anyway. The individual books often had the spines sheared off then glued together to form the book block. The more expensive ones would be sewn together with stitching up and down the spine. Either way, I would guess you would lose >50% of the value of the book if you were to take it apart.

Thanks muchly, my friend. I floated it on Facebook for the time being and will consider eBay once it comes up in the queue to sell. :thumbsup:

I collect bound volumes, and would pay well for yours :)