• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the BA12 thread?

23 posts in this topic

Shouldn't be in copper? (shrug)

Nope, it's 1993, which is post-Copper (whatever you want to call it) in anyone's book.

The only real debate is whether the Modern/Chromium/Speculator Age started in 1990, 1991 or even as far as 1992. I say 1990 (Spider-man #1, X-Men 1, X-Force 1, Valiant, etc.) but there are some who lean a bit later. Even so, no one goes further than Image, Death of Superman and Valiant Unity in 1992, which is kind of the apex (ASM 121) of the era.

See I think it is. Copper should stretch out to the moment that everybody switched over from newsprint to glossy pages. A BA #12 feels nothing like a WD #1...glossy paged books are moderns. That's personally what I feel, but I won't argue it with anyone, it's not that important.

Jim

See I think it is. Copper should stretch out to the moment that everybody switched over from newsprint to glossy pages.

Well, that's certainly a "major change" isn't it. lol

And the "major paper change" actually happened in the mid/late-80's when they dropped newsprint in favor of Mando/Baxter paper.

"In the mid-1980s, DC began utilizing Mando paper, a less acidic and considerably stronger and whiter paper that provided markedly improved printing results. Later, many comics companies went to Baxter paper, which is the type of paper utilized in magazines and what used to consist solely of the cover in comic books. This shiny paper has resulted in the inability to read sections of comics in direct light or sunlight, which has also hampered the unfettered reading of comic books, which were previously an extremely portable form of entertainment."

http://metropolisplus.com/comicsbasics.htm

I think it's propably the biggest change in the industry.

My point was I think a book like BA #12 has more in common with a Superman #75 than it does with a WD #1 and I don't know why it gets lumped in with the "modern age"

Jim

And one last thing....how long is the "modern" book era going to last?

GA 1938-1946

Atomic 1946-1956

Silver 1956-1970

Bronze 1970-1982

Copper 1982-1992

Modern 1992-??? We are already 23 years, the longest age in history by far.

Jim

Maybe CGC needs to add a "Chromium" board and start the ball rolling, but like I said, this book is not Copper by any stretch of the imagination.

THIS in spades. :sumo: Time to take the lead CGC.

And we all know that Baxter paper was used on Marvel Fanfare books and the like, but it didn't become the industry standard till long after that.

Non-newsprint paper (Mando/Baxter/whatever) was standard with Marvel titles in the late-80's/early-90's.