• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on buying a collection privately please.

87 posts in this topic

A thread created purely to elicit responses, the subject matter is immaterial.

Yeah right up there with "Hey! My Hot, Millionaire Model Girlfriend Just Asked Me to Marry Her - What Should I Do??"

Check if she's had any restoration work done to her first

Bait thread? lol. No.

Comicshrine, can you let me know who you think it is? If you know him then it's falling through. Of course I know the difference between pence and cents! lol

I've asked for clear pictures of the collection and arranged now to go tomorrow instead after I've had a proper look at them. Also, so I can raise more dough and go with my pal instead of on my lonesome, can't be too careful here I don't think, even if I can handle myself.

I've no reason to doubt anything he's said. I just hope it's for real and a genuine attic find, even if over here an attic is called a loft!

mystrymachine, maybe it's not a story? And buying a slab is out of the question for me... I doubt I'll ever buy a slabbed book. I'd rather take the risk on raw for a fraction of the cost... And do deals like this!! :)

I am seriously considering sending some of my own off for grades though, ones to sell. For my own collection I'd rather have a book in mylar than slabbed. That said though, I've never actually held a slabbed book!

Are you having a laugh at us?

Bait thread? lol. No.

Comicshrine, can you let me know who you think it is? If you know him then it's falling through. Of course I know the difference between pence and cents! lol

I've asked for clear pictures of the collection and arranged now to go tomorrow instead after I've had a proper look at them. Also, so I can raise more dough and go with my pal instead of on my lonesome, can't be too careful here I don't think, even if I can handle myself.

I've no reason to doubt anything he's said. I just hope it's for real and a genuine attic find, even if over here an attic is called a loft!

mystrymachine, maybe it's not a story? And buying a slab is out of the question for me... I doubt I'll ever buy a slabbed book. I'd rather take the risk on raw for a fraction of the cost... And do deals like this!! :)

I am seriously considering sending some of my own off for grades though, ones to sell. For my own collection I'd rather have a book in mylar than slabbed. That said though, I've never actually held a slabbed book!

Are you having a laugh at us?

No. What makes you think that?

Maybe it is because I have been watching several films like this recently.

When I was reading the initial post and then the somewhat "internet tough guy" responses etc (no offense dude), I instantly thought of those British crime boss style movies that have been coming out quite a bit. "we still kill the old way" and the like.

I guess you could make one with this back story as the plot -- definitely would have him going to a comic book store in that movie though. Maybe into the basement or attic too.

good luck with your purchase though. be safe. Like others, I would suggest just dropping out of the deal entirely. Riddled with sketchy details.

I say go for it. You might get lucky and it turns out great. If the book isn't as good in person as from the (blurry) photos, don't buy it. (shrug) Although if the purchase is going to cause you financial duress, I would never recommend making it.

I agree with everyone else that says don't carry the cash with you and completing the transaction in a public place. If you can't meet in public and you're going alone, make sure someone knows where you're going. Maybe when you pull up to the house, sit in the driveway on your phone long enough to see if the seller sees you. Once he sees you, go up to the house. Apologize and say you called the wife to let her know you arrived and she proceeded to talk your ear off.

When I was reading the initial post and then the somewhat "internet tough guy" responses etc (no offense dude), I instantly thought of those British crime boss style movies that have been coming out quite a bit. "we still kill the old way" and the like.

That was a great movie until the end, where they went to the hospital and the whole concept melted down into a dumb shootout.

if this is the one im thinking of on ebay then beware

You're the second person to say this.

The guy has not sent pictures or given me any indication as to what's in the rest of the collection other than lots of Batman and all in great condition. He is being very cagey about the whole thing. It transpires he's selling them for a 'friend' who moved into a house and found them in the loft!

Sounds like it's all BS after all. I'm not doing it :(

The guy has not sent pictures or given me any indication as to what's in the rest of the collection other than lots of Batman and all in great condition. He is being very cagey about the whole thing. It transpires he's selling them for a 'friend' who moved into a house and found them in the loft!

:golfclap: I think you'll be happy with this decision.

And as for the trolls, just ignore them. WTTB!

What a surprise.

Next bait thread you post, either make it original or funny.

This was neither.

WTTB.

What a surprise.

This was neither.

WTTB.

I don't understand why you and others think this is a bait thread. A bait thread! It's almost laughable! What a ridiculous concept. I've better ways to spend my time thank you.

What a surprise.

This was neither.

WTTB.

I don't understand why you and others think this is a bait thread. A bait thread! It's almost laughable! What a ridiculous concept. I've better ways to spend my time thank you.

That's exactly what a 'baiter' would say

1) Take someone with you - friend, brother doesn't matter. If there is something dodgy going on, then it's less likely a potential robber will tackle 2 people.

2) You can use paypal to pay - or all of you go to the local bank and do the cash/comic swap there. I've done both with Zero problems. The seller just wants to be paid.

3) Don't go to a comic shop and do the deal there. Talk about walking into a Lions den with a steak around your neck......!

4) Subscribe to GPA. Do.It.Right.Now. That way you have current slabbed prices at your fingertips and can work out whats a fair price to pay assuming you can do basic ballpark grading.

Lastly , as others have said - count pages, check the book is complete and if possible grab a 'black-light' which will show up most types of Colour Touch.

Go for it!

Keep all the info to yourself and I hope you get a stonkingly great result.

Post in the 'finds' post and let us know how you got on. But as always, only use money you can afford to spend.

Don't borrow, don't skimp on bills or the mortgage - use disposable income.

If you can only afford 3 books - buy the three, keep your mouth shut about where you got the books and go back for the rest when you can afford them.

This is the best, honest, and unselfish info so far.

What a surprise.

This was neither.

WTTB.

Right.... Takes one to know one, as they say.

What a surprise.

This was neither.

WTTB.

Right.... Takes one to know one, as they say.

Two thoughts:

1) If you are a baiter, sorry better luck next time.

2) If you are not a baiter, I recommend you cancel this account and start over with a new name. You can't just change it because they announce name changes, but a new account and you might actually get a fair shot at "enjoying" this place (whatever that means these days).

That is all.