• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARCH CONTEST :Round 2 : Double OT

38 posts in this topic

#55 scrooge - 9.6 vs. #43 ares - 9.6 - TIE

#6 sfilosa - 7.5 vs. #1 mrwoogieman - 8.5 - WINNER Sfilosa

#29 norrin radd - 9.2 vs. #63 supremo - 9.2 - TIE

#23 143ksk - 8.5 vs. #20 blutobc - 8.5 - TIE

#2 redhook - 9.0 vs. #12 dicex - 9.2 - WINNER Redhook

nice 7.5. Way to nail that one Sfilosa.

Hey, 143ksk I was kidding about triple overtime...get out of my head!!!!!

Somebody's got to fall on their sword next OT round.

Here's hoping that it's you. devil.gif

Somehow, being the closest to the grade among the losers just doesn't offer much solace... tonofbricks.gif

man that is HARSH..........you're tied for second best among 10 guys and run into that Steve buzzsaw, who nails it. a couple of other unmentioned dudes miss the grade by 6 grades and they're still rolling along. (just like the NCAA tourney - the opponent is as important as one's skill).

i am SO glad i didn't wind up in this round - i still can't figure out where the big deductions came from. other than a couple front cover spine nicks and a few back cover spine dimples and maybe a soft corner, i can't find the defects!!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Somehow, being the closest to the grade among the losers just doesn't offer much solace... tonofbricks.gif

man that is HARSH..........you're tied for second best among 10 guys and run into that Steve buzzsaw, who nails it. a couple of other unmentioned dudes miss the grade by 6 grades and they're still rolling along. (just like the NCAA tourney - the opponent is as important as one's skill).

i am SO glad i didn't wind up in this round - i still can't figure out where the big deductions came from. other than a couple front cover spine nicks and a few back cover spine dimples and maybe a soft corner, i can't find the defects!!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

There's some color loss to the left of the cover blurb that is now part of my sig line, see it? Together with the spine creases, I count 8 or so of those, that was enough for me to drop it down below 9.0, not sure how it goes all the way down to 7.5 though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's some color loss to the left of the cover blurb that is now part of my sig line, see it? Together with the spine creases, I count 8 or so of those, that was enough for me to drop it down below 9.0, not sure how it goes all the way down to 7.5 though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i think i can make it out and i guess there are more spine nicks than i saw. that "web" cover doesn't help in seeing them. still can't see what Steve did to guess a 7.5 the way things have been going, though............ confused.gif

Woogie, I read it, and it's like one of those New York Yiddish-based colloquialisms I believe.

Imagine Stan with his palms up going, " More you could ask for?" Or Stan going, "You want I should right ANOTHER Dr. Doom story?"

Red (Native NooYawka)

That's the way I read it too, Oy vey! foreheadslap.gif

At the bottom of the spine going up about an inch there are very little creases (not directly on the spine) and color loss.

I actually went to Heritage's website and looked at other copies just to make sure that wasn't a printing defect. It was not, hence my grade of 7.5.

My thoughts about what is going on..as an outside loser looking in I can now see more clearly.

I can see how Nikos has set all of us up to be nervous, gun shy CGC graders.

He starts us out with that dirty 9.4, then brings out that classic miswrap ARVEL 9.6.. then breaks out this recent 7.5

Touche Nikos.. touche indeed.

Reminds me of Vizzini, from The Princess Bride.

"Well.. since we all know Nikos gets favorable grades from CGC.. we better bump up our guess 1 grade..

But he might have bought this book slabbed already.. so clearly we cannot upgrade our guess to account for the Nikos factor.

Nikos knows that..so perhaps this book really is higher then we are led to believe.

Now, a clever man would grade the slab as he sees it, because Nikos would know that only a great fool would grade a CGC book otherwise.. . We are not great fools, so we can clearly grade the book as it appears in front of us. But Nikos must have known we are not a great fools, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not grade the book as it appears in front of me.

And since miswraps, and soiling are clearly still a grey area when it comes to guessing how CGC might downgrade for it.. it is clear that Nikos would not offer me books to grade that he knows were easy to peg.. so there is NO way I can just grade the book as I see it in front of me.. since Nikos cannot be trusted to offer slabs that are what they appear. Nor can I know for sure if Nikos bought the book slabbed, or submitted it himself, with a $100 tip.

You only think we guessed wrong !!!!!...- that's what's so funny. We switched our grades when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never buy a comic book from Hammer", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never enter a grading contest held by Nikos, when *your grading reputation* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.

A HHAAHAHAAAAhhaa

croak..

Ze-

My thoughts about what is going on..as an outside loser looking in I can now see more clearly.

I can see how Nikos has set all of us up to be nervous, gun shy CGC graders.

He starts us out with that dirty 9.4, then brings out that classic miswrap ARVEL 9.6.. then springs out this recent 7.5

Touche Nikos.. touche indeed.

Reminds me of Vizzini, from The Princess Bride.

"Well.. since we all know Nikos gets favorable grades from CGC.. we better bump up our guess 1 grade..

But he might have bought this book slabbed already.. so clearly we cannot upgrade our guess to account for the Nikos factor.

Nikos knows that..so perhaps this book really is higher then we are led to believe.

Now, a clever man would grade the slab as he sees it, because Nikos would know that only a great fool would grade a CGC book otherwise.. . We are not great fools, so we can clearly grade the book as it appears in front of us. But Nikos must have known we are not a great fools, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not grade the book as it appears in front of me.

And since miswraps, and soiling are clearly still a grey area when it comes to guessing how CGC might downgrade for it.. it is clear that Nikos would not offer me books to grade that he knows were easy to peg.. so there is NO way I can just grade the book as I see it in front of me.. since Nikos cannot be trusted to offer slabs that are what they appear. Nor can I know for sure if Nikos bought the book slabbed, or submitted it himself, with a $100 tip.

You only think we guessed wrong !!!!!...- that's what's so funny. We switched our grades when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never buy a comic book from Hammer", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never enter a grading contest held by Nikos, when *your grading reputation* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.

A HHAAHAHAAAAhhaa

croak..

Ze-

That is my favourite movie!

i still can't figure out where the big deductions came from. other than a couple front cover spine nicks and a few back cover spine dimples and maybe a soft corner, i can't find the defects!!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I think those spine creases are pretty significant, together with the discoloration along the length of the spine and the other things you mention, a 7.5 looks accurate (congrats to Steve)

I would suggest also that the O/W page color was generous, to say the least 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dice, Dice, Dice... at least I was in the ballpark...

9.2? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can I have some of what you were smokin'?

yay.gif

I didn't see the scuff. I assumed it was part of the artwork.

sorry.gif

Dice, Dice, Dice... at least I was in the ballpark...

9.2? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can I have some of what you were smokin'?

yay.gif

I didn't see the scuff. I assumed it was part of the artwork.

sorry.gif

Obviously, that cover should be the next candidate for honing your already stellar inking skills...

flowerred.gif