• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 3 Results

71 posts in this topic

WOW CGC dropped the ball on that. over 82% "were wrong?" Wow, I can't believe that. Great book for the contest though, definitely thins the herd, and basically eliminated me.

CGC had access to the entire book -- we had limited information. While CGC may be a little low-- we might not be addressing hidden issues.

WOW CGC dropped the ball on that. over 82% "were wrong?" Wow, I can't believe that. Great book for the contest though, definitely thins the herd, and basically eliminated me.

CGC had access to the entire book -- we had limited information. While CGC may be a little low-- we might not be addressing hidden issues.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the contest then. If books are being posted where the interior has a significant impact on the grade, then whats the point. Also it was mentioned if there is anything of note that the information would be disclosed. Well I would think that some interior flaw thaw has a large bearing on the grade would be "of note" and worth mentioning. Since there were no such disclosures, I'm of the opinion that the outside cover had the largest influence on the grade and if that is the case, I cannot see how CGC came to THAT grade.

Regardless it was a very good book for the contest and since this is a grading contest, I don't think a book would be used where details that were not disclosed and we had no way of knowing, would have determined the grade.

Whatevs, still thing CGC screwed up and definitely let me know I can't grade worth anything! lol

It seems like the overwhelming opinion is that the book was under-graded. As for what was disclosed, while true that we did not get any details about interior tanning-- all of us lacked the information (if in fact that is true about the book itself). That might make it hard to reach a grade close to the CGC rating, but it was fair to all who tried to reach that conclusion. My point being is that the contest while difficult this round was fair. It might be frustrating not to have all the facts (if true) but we were in the same boat. In this particular case, probably the only people with an advantage were chronic under- graders. In a similar vein, the chronic over graders had an advantage with the WF 88 book, Seems fairly even in the long run.

Really? I nailed the Supes and was way way off on the FF? Totally the opposite of what I expected. That FF was meant to screw with everyone.

Honestly, there were no books used in this grading contest to screw with anyone.

There will sometimes be books that I chose because they had special faults. For instance, "cover completely split and re-attached with tape" or a book that had 24 holes along the spine, as it was held together with string at one point. I'm sending these books in so I can learn, so we can learn. Certainly not to "trick" anybody.

As for this ff46 book, I knew it was pretty heavily tanned, but it was also a book that I figured would still be good to have graded. I dont remember opening it up and looking at the interior covers and thinking anything special.

As I said before, if I have any information to give you guys, that will be helpful in determining the grade, I will give it. I'm not going to post a book and remind you to not forget the tanning.

Use the scans and go by what you are seeing, just as every single other person here is doing.

This playing field is level and the same for everyone. While it sucks being off on a book here or there, try to enjoy yourselves. 2c

On an unrelated note.....the board savior Swick missed two rounds??? Anyone posts a new book in any of HIS club threads he welcomes then within three minutes. ???:facepalm:

Banana time. :banana::banana::banana:

I missed Round 2 because it ended on a busy Sunday and I just forgot. (shrug)

I skipped Round 3 because I missed Round 2... and because I've been preparing for a 7 day Superior Court trial. I haven't really been paying attention.

There are eleven other people who missed two or more Rounds, yet you only mention "board savior Swick"... Come on Frank. I've tried to avoid you as much as possible yet you continue to have this hard on for me. It's just kind of weird at this point. :eek:

Well, that's it for me, and I just got hammered with another Rule I disregarded:

Always Follow Your First Instincts

Initially I graded the books 6.5 and 3.5... but then I started looking closely at the scribbles on the cover of the Superman, did some research and found a pile of similar scribbled-on-title-GA-books and they were all CGC 2.5....

And the FF I initially had at 6.5 due to the corner/spine wear and tanning, but I looked and looked at the cover and convinced myself CGC overgraded it due to some other FF examples I had seen and that previous Avengers book. I still think 6.0 is a tough grade, but I should have went with 7.0 and split the difference.

Really? I nailed the Supes and was way way off on the FF? Totally the opposite of what I expected. That FF was meant to screw with everyone.

Honestly, there were no books used in this grading contest to screw with anyone.

There will sometimes be books that I chose because they had special faults. For instance, "cover completely split and re-attached with tape" or a book that had 24 holes along the spine, as it was held together with string at one point. I'm sending these books in so I can learn, so we can learn. Certainly not to "trick" anybody.

As for this ff46 book, I knew it was pretty heavily tanned, but it was also a book that I figured would still be good to have graded. I dont remember opening it up and looking at the interior covers and thinking anything special.

As I said before, if I have any information to give you guys, that will be helpful in determining the grade, I will give it. I'm not going to post a book and remind you to not forget the tanning.

Use the scans and go by what you are seeing, just as every single other person here is doing.

This playing field is level and the same for everyone. While it sucks being off on a book here or there, try to enjoy yourselves. 2c

This contest is a sham and I demand the return of my entry fee. :sumo:

Am I the lone person who guessed under the 6.0 the FF got?

Crazy. :ohnoez:

Can I ask why you did? hm

I thought the bottom of the book looked like it had some liquid damage. Not straight water but maybe stored somewhere damp.

It seems like the overwhelming opinion is that the book was under-graded. As for what was disclosed, while true that we did not get any details about interior tanning-- all of us lacked the information (if in fact that is true about the book itself). That might make it hard to reach a grade close to the CGC rating, but it was fair to all who tried to reach that conclusion. My point being is that the contest while difficult this round was fair. It might be frustrating not to have all the facts (if true) but we were in the same boat. In this particular case, probably the only people with an advantage were chronic under- graders. In a similar vein, the chronic over graders had an advantage with the WF 88 book, Seems fairly even in the long run.

I completely agree with the point of this being fair. As mentioned, everyone has access to the same information. I think it was a great book to add, perhaps because people tend to overlook tanning or other defects and I don't think it was a "trick" book either.

I've never had so much fun watching myself implode this bad. I mean I thought I was at least a decent grader......nope!

I completely agree with the point of this being fair. As mentioned, everyone has access to the same information. I think it was a great book to add, perhaps because people tend to overlook tanning or other defects and I don't think it was a "trick" book either.

I've never had so much fun watching myself implode this bad. I mean I thought I was at least a decent grader......nope!

Quoted for emphasis. I'm embarrassed.

Well, that's it for me, and I just got hammered with another Rule I disregarded:

Always Follow Your First Instincts

Initially I graded the books 6.5 and 3.5... but then I started looking closely at the scribbles on the cover of the Superman, did some research and found a pile of similar scribbled-on-title-GA-books and they were all CGC 2.5....

And the FF I initially had at 6.5 due to the corner/spine wear and tanning, but I looked and looked at the cover and convinced myself CGC overgraded it due to some other FF examples I had seen and that previous Avengers book. I still think 6.0 is a tough grade, but I should have went with 7.0 and split the difference.

I was in a similar frame of mind. I couldn't tell how severe the tanning was, and it doesn't seem that CGC is always that tough on tanning with midgrades. I was on the 6.5/7.0 bubble and went with the higher.

I seem to recall seeing CGC give some logo scribbled GA higher grades than I would have , and thought they would give the Super a 3.5, but then noticed what looked like moisture damage on the bottom right and thought that might pull it to 3.0. On the fence, I went with the lower. As I predicted in the round 3 thread, I would have done better to reverse directions on my guesses.

Fantastic Four 46 - 7.0

Superman 32 - 2.5

I considered going lower on the FF but couldn't find anything wrong enough to keep knocking it down. I made the mistake of looking at the Superman book for too long - and the more I looked the more I found wrong. I apparently grade better in 30 seconds of evaluation than 3 minutes - at least for this sort of contest :)

Fantastic Four 46 - 7.0

Superman 32 - 2.5

I considered going lower on the FF but couldn't find anything wrong enough to keep knocking it down. I made the mistake of looking at the Superman book for too long - and the more I looked the more I found wrong. I apparently grade better in 30 seconds of evaluation than 3 minutes - at least for this sort of contest :)

I find that I tend to do better when I go by immediate impression in matching CGC grades.

Makes you wonder if there is any significance to that as far as what CGC graders themselves are up to.

I have been doing a three pass process and weighting sweep one-- initial impression as 50% of the grade. Then I do careful review of the edges of the large scans for tears etc (25% grade). Then one last check of the regular sized pictures.

So far-- that first 50% has been correct to within one grade almost every time except the WF 88. So the deeper I dig , the more trouble I get myself in. I should probably adjust my grading percentages to 80-10-10 (from 50-25-25)

but hey-- everyone has their own way of doing it. Kind of interesting to hear other approaches.