• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laughable overgrading on Ebay

28 posts in this topic

I am always amused at how brazen some sellers are on ebay with their overgrading. I thought people can post some examples here as I really need a laugh right now.

Here is one I just found...a nice near mint comic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-SUPERMAN-170-Superman-and-President-Kennedy-Lex-Luther-NM-/131535086245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea01a22a5

Wait... so is that listing for a SA Superman 170 or for a modern Superman 76? Cause that's really confusing. I hate sellers that can't even get their descriptions to match their listings & photos.

Wait... so is that listing for a SA Superman 170 or for a modern Superman 76? Cause that's really confusing. I hate sellers that can't even get their descriptions to match their listings & photos.

I didn't even notice that.

So he is brazen incompetent as well lol

That looks like it could have been done at the printer. It would be a difficult (not to mention ridiculous) trim for someone to make after the fact. It's a similar edge like you'd see on DD #7 or TOS #34 pretty commonly, just more pronounced and the cut is reversed on those books (wider at the bottom).

I can do that in 30-seconds with a paper shear in my office. That's not a hard cut to make by any stretch. Free-hand, sure, but not with your basic office equipment.

Templates - how do they work!??

Screen-Shot-2012-09-27-at-10.48.49-AM-300x165.png

Just look at any listing that says high grade, usually it's not. If it happens to be HG, then it's astronomically overpriced. Of course you'll also see over-graded and overpriced.

Saying High Grade is not as brazen as giving a specific very high grade...at least it gives them a wider swath of grades to hide behind.

Why go all the way to ebay to find examples of laughable overgrading? Just scroll down to the marketplace.

Only, too bad for you, you're not allowed to point it out because that would be thread-crapping or something equally bad! (tsk)

Why go all the way to ebay to find examples of laughable overgrading? Just scroll down to the....

There's a certain slabbed AV57 8.0 that is still causing people to shake their heads on the boards.

;):grin:

I am always amused at how brazen some sellers are on ebay with their overgrading. I thought people can post some examples here as I really need a laugh right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-SUPERMAN-170-Superman-and-President-Kennedy-Lex-Luther-NM-/131535086245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea01a22a5

not everything is simply a matter of being a bad over grader.....

I sent them a note letting them know that the picture and title did not match their description. Here was their reply:

Dear (me),

Thanks for letting me know. Every once and a while the Ebay system does not save what you put in a description when you use the format of a similar item that you had listed earlier. What I find interesting is 150 people have looked at the listing and you are the only one that let me know of the error. I will correct it later this evening. Thanks again.

- simply_ron

Why go all the way to ebay to find examples of laughable overgrading? Just scroll down to the marketplace.

Only, too bad for you, you're not allowed to point it out because that would be thread-crapping or something equally bad! (tsk)

:golfclap: Top 10 post nominee

I sent them a note letting them know that the picture and title did not match their description. Here was their reply:

Dear (me),

Thanks for letting me know. Every once and a while the Ebay system does not save what you put in a description when you use the format of a similar item that you had listed earlier. What I find interesting is 150 people have looked at the listing and you are the only one that let me know of the error. I will correct it later this evening. Thanks again.

- simply_ron

A good chance that a number of those people looked at the title and the picture, thought "overgraded" and didn't even get down to the item description, so they didn't even know about the mismatch.

Dear (me),

- simply_ron

A good chance that a number of those people looked at the title and the picture, thought "overgraded" and didn't even get down to the item description, so they didn't even know about the mismatch.

true -

I just tend to let a seller know - especially if I have the time and they are someone I buy from occasionally -- as it helps everyone out in the long run.

I have been fortunate to have others point out listing errors I have made that helped me fix the issue and eventually sell the item.

That does not mean I that I haven't seen some fairly bad grading being done by sellers on eBay. I have also seen some low ball grading as well--- looking at the pictures and making the decision yourself helps. Relying on reputation of certain sellers I have dealt with before also is helpful. There are some guys on there I would accept their opinion on the grade of a book sight unseen. Not a lot of them but when you find them, I put them under my favorite seller list right away with notes reminding me why they are there.

I do just the opposite. Years go I sold my raw Bronze/Copper X-Men run in lots as NM when in reality most of them would have slabbed out as 9.6 or 9.8 (without pressing). I probably could have gotten a lot more money by having them slabbed, but I was doing pretty well financially at that time & didn't feel like bothering. Needless to say, I never got a single complaint. The only neg I ever received on eBay was as a buyer, and it was payback for a neg I had left for a seller.

I do just the opposite. Years go I sold my raw Bronze/Copper X-Men run in lots as NM when in reality most of them would have slabbed out as 9.6 or 9.8 (without pressing). I probably could have gotten a lot more money by having them slabbed, but I was doing pretty well financially at that time & didn't feel like bothering. Needless to say, I never got a single complaint. The only neg I ever received on eBay was as a buyer, and it was payback for a neg I had left for a seller.

I wish more sellers were like you

The overgrading and overpricing on ebay makes me wonder how many people fall for those ploys. For me, it is a complete turn off and I won't look at anything else they may have to offer.