• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

William Friedkin criticizes superhero movies

26 posts in this topic

With the exception of maybe Captain America Winter Soldier and perhaps a couple of other hero movies, he is absolutely right.

Name those other hero movies. :sumo:

"Friedkin believes the change happened in the late 1970s, around the time that he made the action-thriller Sorceror, which was overshadowed by the success of Star Wars. “That is when my films went like that – out of the frame,” he said."

Jeeze Louise, still b'chin' about Star Wars. :eyeroll:

Anyway, Clint Eastwood managed just fine with his last directorial outing.

"Friedkin believes the change happened in the late 1970s, around the time that he made the action-thriller Sorceror, which was overshadowed by the success of Star Wars. “That is when my films went like that – out of the frame,” he said."

Bingo! This Friedkin is just upset he can't swim in all those millions others directors are. I've not paid attention to him or his filmwork, but from what I've heard people say a lot of them don't think he's directed anything good in 2 decades.

As a film maker, you can still make good movies. IF you're willing to pinch pennies to get your vision out there.

What HE'S saying is that no studio will throw money at some old timer's vision that's going to excite 15% of the viewing audience. They'd rather fund movies with the potential to make mega-bucks.

Ya think?

With the exception of maybe Captain America Winter Soldier and perhaps a couple of other hero movies, he is absolutely right.

Name those other hero movies. :sumo:

GOTG because of its relative originality would be one. Maybe DK 3. Maybe the first 75% of Superman The Movie? I think the litmus test is, when you're channel surfing and a superhero movie is on, do you stop and watch it at any point in the middle of the movie and keep watching? I don't really need to watch any of the X-Men or Wolverine movies more than once, for example. But when Winter Soldier, GOTG or DK 3 are on a premium cable channel and it catches my eye, I'll stop and watch those. The scores of other hero films released over the last couple of decades? Don't get me wrong, many are good, enjoyable movies, but are they classic movies with excellent screenplays, cinematography, acting, etc. that you got to watch over and over?

Bingo! This Friedkin is just upset he can't swim in all those millions others directors are. I've not paid attention to him or his filmwork, but from what I've heard people say a lot of them don't think he's directed anything good in 2 decades.
I would adjust that to three decades. To Live and Die in LA was the last good Friedkin movie I watched. I know he's worked on CSI Season 8 with LA's Peterson, but cannot even remember anything he's done on celluloid since 1990. Maybe he directed Jade? (shrug) If he did, then he was riding that trashy Basic Instinct movie trend in the mid-90's and that would make him a... hypocrite.

But Sorcerer, was a brilliantly crafted movie that still holds up today.

I would adjust that to three decades. To Live and Die in LA was the last good Friedkin movie I watched. I know he's worked on CSI Season 8 with LA's Peterson, but cannot even remember anything he's done on celluloid since 1990. Maybe he directed Jade? (shrug) If he did, then he was riding that trashy Basic Instinct movie trend in the mid-90's and that would make him a... hypocrite.

IMDB is your friend. (thumbs u

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001243/?ref_=rvi_nm

Then, what's the difference than following one movie trend than the other? I mean those soft core/femme fetale movies were everywhere. You would think the guy would have the basic instinct to know casting any showgirl in one wouldn't have a sliver of a chance of suceeding after you could go to your videostore see a new Night Eyes or Animal Instinct movie every month. The Last Seduction would be the only one that stood out, imho.

Then, what's the difference than following one movie trend than the other? I mean those soft core/femme fetale movies were everywhere. You would think the guy would have the basic instinct to know casting any showgirl in one wouldn't have a sliver of a chance of suceeding after you could go to your videostore see a new Night Eyes or Animal Instinct movie every month. The Last Seduction would be the only one that stood out, imho.

The Last Seduction is a great film.