• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

Where I generally agree with the OPs assessment, some HOT books like NM98 and BA12 are priced rather extremely high even for ungraded copies. What that figure should be is hard to say?

Again if they want 9.4 money for them I can see a slightly aggressive price, but when they want the 9.6/9.8 market value then have it justified by being in a graded holder.

Where I generally agree with the OPs assessment, some HOT books like NM98 and BA12 are priced rather extremely high even for ungraded copies. What that figure should be is hard to say?

Again if they want 9.4 money for them I can see a slightly aggressive price, but when they want the 9.6/9.8 market value then have it justified by being in a graded holder.

What would you price a 9.6 book with a strong shot at a 9.8 for NM98? What seems fair? I am pretty sure whoever got their hands on it had to pay a chunk of change to get it.

I agree with you by the way. For $800 +- $50, you might as well buy a graded copy.

What would you price a 9.6 book with a strong shot at a 9.8 for NM98? What seems fair? I am pretty sure whoever got their hands on it had to pay a chunk of change to get it.

I agree with you by the way. For $800 +- $50, you might as well buy a graded copy.

I would have a 9.6 candidate graded.

Asking price on a NM 98 in HG raw is between $300-400 IMO is fair anything higher you should stop messing around and just have it graded already.

I'm a little late to the party Spectre, but I totally agree with you. This is just common sense to me.

I'd never pay full price for a raw book when I can get the same book in a holder and grade, and all the work has been done for me. Anyone who does the opposite is a fool IMO.

2c

I'm a little late to the party Spectre, but I totally agree with you. This is just common sense to me.

I'd never pay full price for a raw book when I can get the same book in a holder and grade, and all the work has been done for me. Anyone who does the opposite is a fool IMO.

2c

I like being called Spectre now. The old SOT is gone. :cloud9:

Although I agree with the op premise that these books should probably be graded, you are commenting on someone's sales thread and this could be construed as inappropriate by some, just saying, you can price your own books as you like, no?

I usually just won't do business with that particular seller/dealer after I see such a pricing scheme, but I am seeing boardies and regular collectors doing it now.

Maybe it is just me but I do not think that is a correct business model to adopt when selling your comics books.

Pricing raw books at GPA for 9.6/9.8 isn't a business model, it's running a museum.

That sort of unrealistic pricing generally weeds itself out. A handful of suckers aside, it's not sustainable. Most of those books will remain right where they are at, on the wall.

I've purchased 2 high-dollar books from two separate boardies who priced them this way. The one caveat was that I requested, and they agreed, that when the grade comes back we would adjust the price accordingly...up or down based on pre-determined prices. On both occasions, the books came in one notch above where the seller thought they would and I ended up sending a few $$ over to the seller for the higher graded copy.

With this kind of guarentee, I have no issues with sellers pricing their books this way. With no guarentee, you could end up with this...

7686476344_a08afe6522_b.jpg

By the way...that guarantee that Aggiez mentioned? It works just fine. If the book comes back X.X, it's this price, and Y.Y, it's that price. There's literally no risk for the buyer...but the book does need to go directly to CGC in that case.

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

The REAL issue is people trying to sell raw books as "this will press to a X.X, so I'm asking for the post-press price."

That's just a bit beyond the line.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Angelo. meh

but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Interesting.

hm

Are you referring to Angelo the dealer in socal by me?

Yes, I'm referring to the SoCal dealer named Angelo, who sets up at all the local shows, and rips people off by having them sort through his inventory for him, but not paying them for their time.

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

But people seem to do it all the time on E-Bay. You see a sweet looking book sell for $300 that is graded by the seller a 9.8 when a CGC 9.8 is also going for $300. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a raw book when a certified graded book is the same price.

you are forbidden from using the word "sweet" further this year. Have have exceeded the # of "sweet" alloted for the year. Please refrain from using this word until 2016.

You can use

delicious

luscious

syrupy

honey

thank you

By the way...that guarantee that Aggiez mentioned? It works just fine. If the book comes back X.X, it's this price, and Y.Y, it's that price. There's literally no risk for the buyer...but the book does need to go directly to CGC in that case.

Really? I thought you had a year to send it in? OK, off topic.

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

But people seem to do it all the time on E-Bay. You see a sweet looking book sell for $300 that is graded by the seller a 9.8 when a CGC 9.8 is also going for $300. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a raw book when a certified graded book is the same price.

you are forbidden from using the word "sweet" further this year. Have have exceeded the # of "sweet" alloted for the year. Please refrain from using this word until 2016.

You can using

delicious

luscious

syrupy

honey

thank you

And "hot". :baiting:

Of course, the real question is why is the market so ridiculous that it pays $800 for a 9.8, and $400 for a 9.6.

That's the real question.

It's silly madness.

I agree 100% - that is why I am happy buying 9.6s, especially for Bronze Age books and forward.

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is so minute (to me anyways) that I wouldn't pay that kind of premium for an extra .2

Same for paying more for white pages. The book in encased anyways so who can actually see the PQ to enjoy it - at least you can look at the cover.

Just my 2c

Really? I thought you had a year to send it in? OK, off topic.

lol

Yes, the endless PL rules debates.

:cloud9: