• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

RMA, if you were to buy a slabbed copy of a book you love, what would you recommend? 9.6? 9.4? I'm asking as I am admittedly one of those "9.8 or bust" and would like to get a different perspective from a very knowledgeable, experienced collector such as yourself. :foryou:

I'm curious what you would personally choose if there were three graded copies, 9.8, 9.6 and 9.4, that were all very similar looks wise aside from a spine tic or two.

What do you mean, 9.8 or bust? You have 8.5 slabs in your sigline animation. lol

Your question is loaded because the answer is different based upon the age of the book.

This should teach me a lesson regarding trying to actually do work and participating in discussions. doh!

What I was referring to with my inquiry was CA and Moderns.

Does everyone see my sign up date: December 27, 2012? That is around the time I got back into collecting and around the time I discovered CGC and slabbed books.

I have 8.5 slabs in my sig line - MS5, ASM129 and used to have several more. I also have a 5.0 (FF5) and an 8.0 (ASM50). I don't even think for a second I'd ever own a 9.8 of those books.

I really meant to ask about a Harbinger #1 9.8 or a Harbinger #1 9.6 (or 9.4). Or a NM #98 9.8 vs. 9.6 vs. 9.4. Or any number of "hot books" that a 9.8 suddenly has risen out of my price range. Am I stupid for chasing a 9.8 when I could be happy with a 9.6 or 9.4. I began chasing 9.8's from being involved in the Registry.

Am I doing it wrong? Sean, I value your opinion as a collector as well - do you chase 9.8's? Or are you satisfied with a 9.6 or a 9.4? I really don't want to derail the thread. I just read RMA's post about it being silly to spend double for a 9.8 when you can buy a 9.6. I was curious what you guys bought for your personal collections. :)

RMA, if you were to buy a slabbed copy of a book you love, what would you recommend? 9.6? 9.4? I'm asking as I am admittedly one of those "9.8 or bust" and would like to get a different perspective from a very knowledgeable, experienced collector such as yourself. :foryou:

I'm curious what you would personally choose if there were three graded copies, 9.8, 9.6 and 9.4, that were all very similar looks wise aside from a spine tic or two.

What do you mean, 9.8 or bust? You have 8.5 slabs in your sigline animation. lol

Your question is loaded because the answer is different based upon the age of the book.

This should teach me a lesson regarding trying to actually do work and participating in discussions. doh!

What I was referring to with my inquiry was CA and Moderns.

Does everyone see my sign up date: December 27, 2012? That is around the time I got back into collecting and around the time I discovered CGC and slabbed books.

I have 8.5 slabs in my sig line - MS5, ASM129 and used to have several more. I also have a 5.0 (FF5) and an 8.0 (ASM50). I don't even think for a second I'd ever own a 9.8 of those books.

I really meant to ask about a Harbinger #1 9.8 or a Harbinger #1 9.6 (or 9.4). Or a NM #98 9.8 vs. 9.6 vs. 9.4. Or any number of "hot books" that a 9.8 suddenly has risen out of my price range. Am I stupid for chasing a 9.8 when I could be happy with a 9.6 or 9.4. I began chasing 9.8's from being involved in the Registry.

Am I doing it wrong? Sean, I value your opinion as a collector as well - do you chase 9.8's? Or are you satisfied with a 9.6 or a 9.4? I really don't want to derail the thread. I just read RMA's post about it being silly to spend double for a 9.8 when you can buy a 9.6. I was curious what you guys bought for your personal collections. :)

For Copper and Modern, and for my own Yellow label collection, I always try to get 9.8s. But I am not worried when they fail. My MSC is littered with 9.6s. For example I have a 9.6 Sixth Gun #1. Why? Because I sold the 9.8 for a grand. The money was worth more than the 9.8 to me.

I have a 9.8 BA 12 that I have maybe $75 in total. I have been thinking about selling it and getting a 9.6, but I haven't been able to do it yet.

Many of the 9.6s are only worth a fraction of the comparable 9.8. The only time it will bother me is when they eventually get sold. But I may be dead at that point so (shrug)

I almost never buy 9.8 blues and crack them for SS. So my basis in most of them is waaaaaay lower than folks who do that. Plus most of my raw comes from 30 years of buy and hold from quarter-dollar bins. So again, it doesn't really bother me to have a 9.6 that is worth 40% of the 9.8 when my sunk costs are so much lower.

I also often prefer a "complete" book in 9.6 to a partial book in 9.8. Example I have a 9.8 100 Bullets #1 in 9.8 signed by Azzarello. But my keeper is a 9.6 signed by Azzarello, Risso and Johnson.

I think I am in the minority, as for most of the people that post here, it is truly 9.8 or bust.

Thank you. (thumbs u

So you by mostly raws and submit yourself when you get a sig on books?

How about if you were buying a book just for a blue label (do you)? Would you still buy raw or would you buy a slabbed ____ ?

I guess I WANT to embrace this idea that it is crazy to spend $1,000 on a 9.8 when you can pick up a 9.6 for $400. I feel like when I first got back into collecting and buying slabs, that's how I felt. Then along the way and seeing the way 9.6's were treated - almost like rejects that no one wanted - I developed the "Modern Collecting" philosophy of 9.8 or bust.

I'm trying to adapt my collecting styles so I can actually afford buying books again. Whether that is, as Hector said, start buying raw copies or "settling" for 9.6 or 9.4.

I just enjoy getting the perspectives of those who really do collect and enjoy the hobby and aren't only in it for $$$. :)

Unless it is something I really love like DD Millers, I can live with a 9.6. If there is a modern that is not too expensive in a 9.8, then I don't mind spending a little extra money.

I have 9.2 and 9.4 books where I can't see the flaws from the front and back covers.

Anything post 1965 I try for 9.4-9.6. What used to be considered NM/M. A very clean copy that could have just come from the printer. Older comics I go for 6.0-8.0, What used to be F-VF. A very presentable copy with average wear and no huge defects.

The only difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is the cost.

I really tried to embrace it about a year ago. I bought an UXM 129 9.6. I was trying to tell myself that there was no difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 and that by buying 9.6's, I could save money and that savings would allow me to buy more books. And then that stupid .6 instead of a .8 started to eat at me and I sold the 9.6. :screwy:

I like to hear from collectors saying that they are completely happy with a 9.6. It makes me start to hm think about my buying decisions again and want to start spending money on 9.6's as opposed to 9.8. I think I have a hard time with it is treating a CA or early Modern age 9.8 differently than a brand new, off the shelf 9.8.

What I mean is, it probably makes absolute sense to buy a 9.6 NM98, BA12 or TWD1 and get almost the same book for half the cost. I just don't see that as the same thing as buying a 9.6 Lazarus #1 or any newer Modern. You know what I mean?

With high grade raws, I use GPA as a BASIS for pricing.

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

hm

You don't think it is more absurd to give away 40-50% of potential value...?

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

:popcorn:

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

fd6.gif

meh.

No back pedaling here.Highlight what you will from my posts but if you read them again....I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

However, as RMA pointed out, I did not specifically include such qualifications as I was just throwing my 2 cents in so yeah...I can see why/how you'd possibly get that impression.....and my proverbial hats off to you for the witty image,BTW .....but, that's just not the case.

Yes you did. It's highlighted up there.

All due respect, I did not do so.

And to paraphrase what RMA also stated, I was not backpedaling.

What is it with the " I got you,chump" tone that I have been seeing running fairly wildly on this board lately? Seems fairly smug and condescending, to me.

Guy, just go back and read my posts.....MORE than just the highlighted portion and you will see what's up.

No hard feelings, in any event.I just want the facts to be clear, I do not like the notion of being labeled as a "backpedaler" or whatever else.I say this knowing that I make some solid contributions towards this board, along the vein of intelligent discussion and this is uncalled for.

Thank you. (thumbs u

How about if you were buying a book just for a blue label (do you)? Would you still buy raw or would you buy a slabbed ____ ?

I guess I WANT to embrace this idea that it is crazy to spend $1,000 on a 9.8 when you can pick up a 9.6 for $400. I feel like when I first got back into collecting and buying slabs, that's how I felt. Then along the way and seeing the way 9.6's were treated - almost like rejects that no one wanted - I developed the "Modern Collecting" philosophy of 9.8 or bust.

I'm trying to adapt my collecting styles so I can actually afford buying books again. Whether that is, as Hector said, start buying raw copies or "settling" for 9.6 or 9.4.

I just enjoy getting the perspectives of those who really do collect and enjoy the hobby and aren't only in it for $$$. :)

I do not buy blue labels. The only time I sub blue label is for resale. It took me about 5 years before I felt like I could grade to CGCs standards. Once I became immersed in the CGC culture, learned about CPR, saw all the manipulation that was being done, I would never pay real money for a high grade Silver or Bronze CGC book. For me, paying for HG was about the preservation of a fragile artifact, not for one that was "created" by pressing out the defects.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against pressing. But it did kill the desire for me to own or pay for high grade bronze and silver.

Harvey,

I own less than 10 graded comics; with the other 7000+ comics of my collection being ungraded. So when I'm adding books to my collection; I'm mostly look for ungraded books; that would fall between a 8.0 to 9.2 if graded.

I don't collect moderns; and so most of the issues that I need to finish filling in runs are; SA to early BA books with a smattering of early CA on a few titles.

I don't chase after the 9.4 or higher grades; since I feel that I can find what I'm looking for in the 8.0 to 9.2 grade range; at a price that I'm more willing to pay that still looks good. With the older more expensive issues that I still need to purchase; I'm more willing to go with a lower grade range so it doesn't break my collecting budget.

I still look for RAW books first and graded copies second when I'm purchasing books; and this is because I still enjoy reading what I purchase.

Psy

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

hm

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

fd6.gif

meh.

No back pedaling here.Highlight what you will from my posts but if you read them again....I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

However, as RMA pointed out, I did not specifically include such qualifications as I was just throwing my 2 cents in so yeah...I can see why/how you'd possibly get that impression.....and my proverbial hats off to you for the witty image,BTW .....but, that's just not the case.

What is it with the " I got you,chump" tone that I have been seeing running fairly wildly on this board lately? Seems fairly smug and condescending, to me.

Guy, just go back and read my posts.....MORE than just the highlighted portion and you will see what's up.

No hard feelings, in any event.I just want the facts to be clear, I do not like the notion of being labeled as a "backpedaler" or whatever else.I say this knowing that I make some solid contributions towards this board, along the vein of intelligent discussion and this is uncalled for.

It's right there! You wrote it! No one else. lol

2jfm71c.jpg

One minute you said:

Then, when someone questioned it, you said:

So, you...

0882520425eca1b586265b1ebece108d.500x281x102.gif

Now you're saying:

I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

:insane:

And, as I said before....what happens to all the buyers of slabs that say one thing on the label, but that doesn't match the actual condition of the book inside the slab....? That is, someone buys a 9.8 that is clearly a gift grade, or has been damaged in the case?

Aren't *those* people getting the shaft much more often than the people buying "raw" books for GPA prices....?

Something to consider, eh?

Those buying "gift" grades are getting the shaft just as badly, if not worse, as those paying GPA for raw 9.8 candidates.

Both of which in themselves are a shame and I can feel a bit of sympathy for those buyers but not all that much.If you do not carefully look over a book before you buy it, no matter what the seller of a raw book grades it as or what the grade on the slab says, then you either are a green collector with money to burn or are not a discerning collector that understands how to grade a book.Or both.

For those buyers who have the combination of carelessless, naivety....this often makes the learning curve a painful process as lessons often have to be learned the hard way, through experience.Some of us, with IQ's above room temperature, are not prone to being suckered into such deals by less than straight forward sellers......Not that I have not been hammered before, I'll add.

As far as the intermediate grades, I agree that they are good , in theory.....

But with all the variations possible with grading paper items, I think it would be impractical to use such a very dialed in numerical system.I would love to see it happen, though.

The only difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is the cost.

That's how I feel. For my personal collection, 9.6 on Copper/Moderns works just fine for me. Barely a difference between the two and for half the price.

Thank you. (thumbs u

I do not buy blue labels. The only time I sub blue label is for resale. It took me about 5 years before I felt like I could grade to CGCs standards. Once I became immersed in the CGC culture, learned about CPR, saw all the manipulation that was being done, I would never pay real money for a high grade Silver or Bronze CGC book. For me, paying for HG was about the preservation of a fragile artifact, not for one that was "created" by pressing out the defects.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against pressing. But it did kill the desire for me to own or pay for high grade bronze and silver.

I've bought plenty of blue labels to crack for signatures when I was working hard on ASM copper SS. Now, I wouldn't buy ANY blue label, but if I could get 9.8s cheap (like I could live with a drop to 9.6 cheap) I'd get them, and I really liked inexpensive 9.6 blues to crack. I'd say about a third of my cracked 9.6s upgraded once yellow, and nearly all of the remainder held the 9.6, which was ok by me. Only Denny O'Neil managed to turn 9.6s into 9.4s in two cases, at a signing at WW Austin where I handled my own books. I'm perfectly happy with that track record and cost basis.

As for SA, I like 7.5 to 9.2. Great looking books without the silly HG premiums.

hm

Case in point:

fd6.gif

meh.

2jfm71c.jpg

One minute you said:

So, you...

Now you're saying:

I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

320px-Second_dog_with_a_bone.jpg

Harvey:

Sorry, I cannot engage anyone in a conversation composed largely with one liner assertions backed with emoticons and re-worked jpeg images.

Granted, my initial post did not go into lengthy detail so I'll concede on that point.

However, if you read and consider RMA's response to my post, you will see that no back pedaling was done on my part.I merely was not beingas specific as I likely should have, to avoid misomers and the like.

That said, I vote for letting this issue go.....

....and if I ever meet you at a comic show, I'll bro-hug it out with you.

We're all good :)

hm

Case in point:

fd6.gif

meh.

2jfm71c.jpg

One minute you said:

So, you...

Now you're saying:

320px-Second_dog_with_a_bone.jpg