• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

I am seeing a growing trend in this hobby for dealers/sellers to use GPA to sell high grade Raw comics books especially in the 9.6/9.8 range.

If people want to hide behind the notion it is my book and I can ask what I want for it then that is of course your right, but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

GPA is a service that tracks CGC sales not Raw sales.

Can anyone defend with any logic why you as a seller think you can ask 9.6/9.8 CGC prices while your book is still in a Raw state?

Why would I have any motivation to give you $800 for a raw NM 98 that you are grading on your own at 9.6/9.8? So either way I lose money right off the bat. If it comes back 9.6 I lose half my money, and if it comes back 9.8 I paid over GPA for that copy with shipping & grading costs. Any buyer would conclude that it would make no sense to pay that asking price when one could just buy an already graded copy at no graded risk.

I can understand within reason using both GPA & OSPG to get a realistic asking price for books under 9.4. However for HG books that you want multiples of guide for then in my eyes it needs to be in a CGC holder to justify what you want for it.

I understand there is some grey areas with my stance such as when dealers use slightly higher asking prices for a book that they grade in NM (9.4) condition, but when it comes to 9.6/9.8 it needs to be in a holder in my opinion.

I usually just won't do business with that particular seller/dealer after I see such a pricing scheme, but I am seeing boardies and regular collectors doing it now.

Maybe it is just me but I do not think that is a correct business model to adopt when selling your comics books.

What do you guys think?

Some people don't like waiting. Some people don't like risk. So some (not all) dealers price books so you assume all the risk and they don't have to wait to get their books back from the graders. There are 3-4 dealers who I like personally, that I would most likely never do business with again based on selling techniques like the one you describe above.

For books like your example, I can't help but ask myself, "Why didn't they bother getting it graded themselves?" If a key/desired book is really in that shape, do the obvious thing and slab it for sale.

You can see the example for yourself. I didn't just make that example up. Just click another button.

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

Nope. Yup.

You just click in the thread, see the asking price, lol and exit out.

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

But people seem to do it all the time on E-Bay. You see a sweet looking book sell for $300 that is graded by the seller a 9.8 when a CGC 9.8 is also going for $300. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a raw book when a certified graded book is the same price.

I am seeing a growing trend in this hobby for dealers/sellers to use GPA to sell high grade Raw comics books especially in the 9.6/9.8 range.

If people want to hide behind the notion it is my book and I can ask what I want for it then that is of course your right, but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Can anyone defend with any logic why you as a seller think you can ask 9.6/9.8 CGC prices while your book is still in a Raw state?

Why would I have any motivation to give you $800 for a raw NM 98 that you are grading on your own at 9.6/9.8? So either way I lose money right off the bat. If it comes back 9.6 I lose half my money, and if it comes back 9.8 I paid over GPA for that copy with shipping & grading costs. Any buyer would conclude that it would make no sense to pay that asking price when one could just buy an already graded copy at no graded risk.

I can understand within reason using both GPA & OSPG to get a realistic asking price for books under 9.4. However for HG books that you want multiples of guide for then in my eyes it needs to be in a CGC holder to justify what you want for it.

I understand there is some grey areas with my stance such as when dealers use slightly higher asking prices for a book that they grade in NM (9.4) condition, but when it comes to 9.6/9.8 it needs to be in a holder in my opinion.

I usually just won't do business with that particular seller/dealer after I see such a pricing scheme, but I am seeing boardies and regular collectors doing it now.

Maybe it is just me but I do not think that is a correct business model to adopt when selling your comics books.

What do you guys think?

you lost me there.

I also would never do business with a dealer who does that as I would not trust them for their reason to do so. Is it cheapness, laziness, greed or not being honest (as there may be a flaw in the book which they know would not get them that high grade)?

What do you guys think?

you lost me there.

Before CGC dealers would take a NM book that they thought was better than the rest and sell it for a little higher.

Best example is when the Mile High collection was brought to market.

Mike I am saying mainly when it comes to 9.6/9.8.

Seems to me this isn't really a problem. If all of us won't buy a raw for the graded price then people will learn. The problem, I suspect, is that some people are willing to for some reason. If somebody does pay graded price for high grade raw than that explains why some dealers charge it.

What do you guys think?

you lost me there.

Before CGC dealers would take a NM book that they thought was better than the rest and sell it for a little higher.

babe. every pedigree i can remember in the pre-CGC days went for multiples of guide. Marnin regularly charged 3x guide for Mass books, Goldman 2-2.5x for Northland's, Roter 3x for PC's.

Anyway, i was more thinking a book that guides for $10 in 9.2, i have no problem asking 3x guide for a NM+ (9.8 candidate) if a slabbed 9.6 is going for $50 and a 9.8 is going for $125. obviously the books in the thread you are referencing are not $10 in guide and i see where you're coming from- no one here will buy them at the listed prices (at least i don't think anyone will)

What do you guys think?

you lost me there.

babe. every pedigree i can remember in the pre-CGC days went for multiples of guide. Marnin regularly charged 3x guide for Mass books, Goldman 2-2.5x for Northland's, Roter 3x for PC's.

Anyway, i was more thinking a book that guides for $10 in 9.2, i have no problem asking 3x guide for a NM+ (9.8 candidate) if a slabbed 9.6 is going for $50 and a 9.8 is going for $125. obviously the books in the thread you are referencing are not $10 in guide and i see where you're coming from- no one here will buy them at the listed prices (at least i don't think anyone will)

Honey, I am going by todays markets only. I wasn't around with you old heads to have a stance if I would have agreed to pay those over guide x3 pedigree prices. Pedigrees now have one thing in common they are found and put in graded holders. So it is kinda a moot point.

What do you guys think?

I think it's an interesting question. Not because it comes up a lot but that it's coming from someone that usually has multiple copies of 9.6/9.8s for sale. What percent of GPA do you think is fair for a raw 9.6/9.8?

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

The REAL issue is people trying to sell raw books as "this will press to a X.X, so I'm asking for the post-press price."

That's just a bit beyond the line.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Angelo. meh

but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Interesting.

hm

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

The REAL issue is people trying to sell raw books as "this will press to a X.X, so I'm asking for the post-press price."

That's just a bit beyond the line.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Angelo. meh

but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Interesting.

hm

Are you referring to Angelo the dealer in socal by me?

I am also that person who knows grading but I wouldn't insult a customer by selling raw books with GPA prices on them in 9.6/9.8 grade.