• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

French Marvel magazines (Star-Lord)??

5 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. :)

Anyway, I came across what appear to be licensed French editions of Marvel magazines. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these.

This first one is a magazine-size, perfect bound issue of Star-Lord from the 1970s:

1434586336_zps799723a2.jpg

This is about the same size as the original Marvel Graphic Novels.

I also found these two comic-sized magazines. They are both perfect bound and appear to contain 4 complete comics each.

1434586320_zpsef1914ac.jpg

1434586318_zps893796a7.jpg

I really like the original painted covers on these. The guy at the store said the artist was a famous French (or Belgian?) artist. I forgot the name, though. (Sorry about the bad lighting. My hotel room has soft, yellowish lighting.)

The one with Elektra on the cover has Iron Man (Demon in a Bottle storyline?), Spider-Man, Daredevil (Frank Miller Elektra!), and Rom.

Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks!

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. :)

Anyway, I came across what appear to be licensed French editions of Marvel magazines. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these.

This first one is a magazine-size, perfect bound issue of Star-Lord from the 1970s:

1434586336_zps799723a2.jpg

This is about the same size as the original Marvel Graphic Novels.

I also found these two comic-sized magazines. They are both perfect bound and appear to contain 4 complete comics each.

1434586320_zpsef1914ac.jpg

1434586318_zps893796a7.jpg

I really like the original painted covers on these. The guy at the store said the artist was a famous French (or Belgian?) artist. I forgot the name, though. (Sorry about the bad lighting. My hotel room has soft, yellowish lighting.)

The one with Elektra on the cover has Iron Man (Demon in a Bottle storyline?), Spider-Man, Daredevil (Frank Miller Elektra!), and Rom.

Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks!

From the 60s/early 70s to the middle 90s, Marvel comics were published in France in "anthologies" featuring several stories.

The most famous and maybe oldest was called "Strange" and featured many painted covers by Jean Frisano (Jean is a boy's name in French).

In the early 80's, 3 issues and an half were published every month in Strange : 2 amazing Spider-man, 1 Ironman, either DD or Rom episode was generally split in two (the end of the story being published the following month) or cut (most of Miller's DD were censored and reduced to 17 pages).

X-Men was published in "Spécial Stange" and FF in "Nova" (smaller sized).

Marvel graphic novels were published as well in a similar size than the US edition.

A Frisano's cover featuring DD, Ironfist and Luke Cage (inspired by DD#177 story) was sold at last Christie's comic auction I think but I cannot remember the price result.

DC comics rights were owned by other publishers called Sagédition and Arédit/Artima.

I think you will have more answers if you post in the "foreign variant" thread.

There are several volumes of the Star-Lord. one with reprinting MP4, one with #11 this one, MSS 10 and MS 7. If you go on Ebay UK and look at the European Union they are fairly common and can be had for about 10-20 bucks each or less. There are sellers that try to get a premium for the 1st one but they just sit there.