• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 5

191 posts in this topic

1/4 of the total cover space had a sun shadow-- that is one tough book to grade.

as for the MSH-- I determined that it must not be rust but small stains that were on the staple areas. Not sure if that is a big difference or not-- they aren't attractive either way-- but they are significantly different as far as the books condition.

K
I dispute the grade on the GL 76. This book is not faded. It is a production defect due to low magenta ink levels. If you look, the left side of the book is 'faded'. But only the colors that use magenta are faded-the darker greens and red. To get the darker green a layer of 87% yellow is covered with 100% cyan then a layer of 17% magenta. Without the magenta we get the lighter blue green seen on this book on the left side.

The cyan on the lantern shards at the bottom left as well as the left side of the 'co-starring' box with light green (no magenta used) and the black inks are unfaded, proving it is not Sun damage. The DC logo is so light if it was actual fading then the black ink would be faded to some degree-it is immaculate. I would resubmit this book and explain to CGC where they went wrong so the book can get the 9.6 it deserves and I can get my 5 points.

This might be a good theory if you completely ignore the back cover, which is printed perfectly. :grin:

I took a photo offset course once. Areas of a plate can be lacking ink where other areas aren't.

Sure, but it seems awfully convenient that the ink isn't lacking anywhere at all on the back cover as well. Theoretically I suppose it could happen...

Good theory, but not quite right.

It's the YELLOW that is missing on the left half of the front cover. In offset printing, green is comprised of cyan and yellow. There may be a bit of magenta in that green as well, but without question it's the yellow that is low on the left half, which make the bright green on the right half look more like teal on the left half.

What if,just what if....... The book was on a shelf,and half the book was covered by another book. Then exposed to the sun? Just a thought! (shrug)

Exposure to sun DOES fade colours unevenly. This might be possible. But whether it was the sun or poor ink coverage, it's still the yellow that has faded or is missing, not magenta.

K
I dispute the grade on the GL 76. This book is not faded. It is a production defect due to low magenta ink levels. If you look, the left side of the book is 'faded'. But only the colors that use magenta are faded-the darker greens and red. To get the darker green a layer of 87% yellow is covered with 100% cyan then a layer of 17% magenta. Without the magenta we get the lighter blue green seen on this book on the left side.

The cyan on the lantern shards at the bottom left as well as the left side of the 'co-starring' box with light green (no magenta used) and the black inks are unfaded, proving it is not Sun damage. The DC logo is so light if it was actual fading then the black ink would be faded to some degree-it is immaculate. I would resubmit this book and explain to CGC where they went wrong so the book can get the 9.6 it deserves and I can get my 5 points.

This might be a good theory if you completely ignore the back cover, which is printed perfectly. :grin:

I took a photo offset course once. Areas of a plate can be lacking ink where other areas aren't.

Sure, but it seems awfully convenient that the ink isn't lacking anywhere at all on the back cover as well. Theoretically I suppose it could happen...

It's the YELLOW that is missing on the left half of the front cover. In offset printing, green is comprised of cyan and yellow. There may be a bit of magenta in that green as well, but without question it's the yellow that is low on the left half, which make the bright green on the right half look more like teal on the left half.

What if,just what if....... The book was on a shelf,and half the book was covered by another book. Then exposed to the sun? Just a thought! (shrug)

(thumbs u

There is no way the blue shards wouldn't fade while the ink around it did

Nope, Blue seems to be pretty consistent in faded books. Red and Green fade the worst.

There is no red, green or blue in offset printing. Only cyan, magenta, yellow and black. "Green" is comprised of cyan and yellow. "Red" is comprised of magenta and yellow.

Come on, stop being a jerk and understand I was referring to the COLORS ON THE COVER, not the printing color terminology. Everyone knows they are derived from CYM (have you ever changed printer ink?) and I (like many others) are referring to the eye-test, final printed colors.

Take a can of Coke outside this summer and leave it in the sun all summer and then see what happens to the red. It may not have started out as red in the factory, but the finished product will fade like a bugger. Same with a Mountain Dew or Sprite can, that deep green will fade, and in some cases, all you'll have is dark blue/black.

I know, because I inadvertently did that one summer and posted the results on here.

To help you understand, the MAGENTA and YELLOW must be quick faders, while the CYAN and BLACK are not. That's what my Can Experiment clearly showed,

Also, green is already in there, twice:

The secondary colors of RGB, cyan, magenta, and yellow, are formed by the mixture of two of the primaries and the exclusion of the third. Red and green combine to make yellow, green and blue make cyan, blue and red make magenta.

K

No

Green is Cyan magenta and yellow:

http://dba.med.sc.edu/price/irf/Adobe_tg/models/rgbcmy.html

If there was no yellow there would be no green

At all

That is exactly what happened, and I thought it was pretty clear from the scan. (shrug)

That is exactly what happened, and I thought it was pretty clear from the scan. (shrug)

that is how I pictured it. Might even have been in someones display at a LCS years ago.

The book is practically perfect otherwise (save the gash near the DC label).

Magic sun rays that totally faded some colors into almost obliteration and completely did not fade-at all-other colors.

1/4 of the total cover space had a sun shadow-- that is one tough book to grade.

as for the MSH-- I determined that it must not be rust but small stains that were on the staple areas. Not sure if that is a big difference or not-- they aren't attractive either way-- but they are significantly different as far as the books condition.

I thought they would strike it down at least a grade for the back cover. I had it as a 6.5/7.0 without the stains.

Magic sun rays that totally faded some colors into almost obliteration and completely did not fade-at all-other colors.

let it go already

no-this book needs to be re graded

The difference in value between a 6.5 and a 9.6 on this book is extreme

CGC missed it

let it go already

CGC missed it

NO. No they didn't. Go look at some other faded books and you will see very similar "some colors faded and others didn't" phenomena.

I thought they would strike it down at least a grade for the back cover. I had it as a 6.5/7.0 without the stains.

with the stains (i.e. all factors)- I had it as a 5.5 and bumped it up a grade to 6.0 for the sake of what I assumed was a symmetry submission. Perhaps I counted some errors more than once. Not sure. At some point you have to guess a little and get lucky.

let it go already

CGC missed it

NO. No they didn't. Go look at some other faded books and you will see very similar "some colors faded and others didn't" phenomena.

Nope.

This book is faded uniformly

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4373751#Post4373751