• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st purchases in 8 years.

130 posts in this topic

Man, are you in hurry. Have you considered cutting back on meth? poke2.gif

Seriously, those are super nice looking books. One of my great regrets was not finding a killer FF25 before the prices rose big-time. It is one of my all-time fav Kirby covers.

You can still get a 8.0 for around 400-500 dollars. gossip.gif

Seriously, those are super nice looking books. One of my great regrets was not finding a killer FF25 before the prices rose big-time. It is one of my all-time fav Kirby covers.

FF#25 is one of my favorite books i bought one 10 years ago only to find out a week ago it was PLOD-ed. frustrated.gif I was really bumbed out so I immediately went out and bought a new one.

I used to have a very atrtractive 8.5. What I have wanted is a 9.4 with white pages, and I'll confess I don't know what it would cost, but it's probably more than what I'm willing to spend on it.

I used to have a very atrtractive 8.5. What I have wanted is a 9.4 with white pages, and I'll confess I don't know what it would cost, but it's probably more than what I'm willing to spend on it.

FF 25 is one of the rarest 1964 books in ultra high grade.

Only three 9.4s and two of them are PLODS! 893whatthe.gif

There are three 9.6s as well, all clean.

You'll have to settle for a nice 9.2 for this one unless you are filthy stinking rich.

If the only clean 9.4 or one of the 9.6s shows up on eBay it will draw the BDSs like flies to 893censored-thumb.gif!

That copy of FF#25 is not that great. I would never buy a book that looked like that. Emilio, what were you thinking????poke2.gifyay.gif

FF 25 is one of the rarest 1964 books in ultra high grade.

Only three 9.4s and two of them are PLODS! 893whatthe.gif

There are three 9.6s as well, all clean.

You'll have to settle for a nice 9.2 for this one unless you are filthy stinking rich.

If the only clean 9.4 or one of the 9.6s shows up on eBay it will draw the BDSs like flies to 893censored-thumb.gif!

Well this explains why I never found one -- and I looked for quite a long time. It's possible that one or two nice ones came up at 2x or 3x guide at a time when I felt that was too much to pay. lol! Those were the days.

So, now that we've established FF25 has a classic cover, is as scarce as hen's teeth in high grade, and Bleek's copy is a superb example, answer me this:

How come all you guys that used to own it sold the mother??? confused-smiley-013.gif

BBob,

if your using photobucket you don't need to use the image UBB code, it's already added on your tag line when you copy and paste. that way you won't have the [/img] stuff on the side of your jpeg. gossip.gif

bests,

pimpy

So, now that we've established FF25 has a classic cover, is as scarce as hen's teeth in high grade, and Bleek's copy is a superb example, answer me this:

How come all you guys that used to own it sold the mother??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Drummy sold it because he switched from comics to collecting original art. I sold it because I got the price I wanted for it and I recently decided to downgrade much of the higher grade stuff in my collection into the VF/VF+ range because it is a lot more affordable. Also, frankly, there isn't much of a difference between an 8.0/8.5 and a 9.2/9.4 at arm's length, except for a zero or two on the pricetag.

When I bought the book, I was focusing more on higher grade books. In the last few months, I have reassessed my collecting goals. I really want to complete my FF and ASM runs within the next 18 months, and I am no longer willing to commit six figures to putting together the runs that I was originally planning to put together. That's just too much resources tied up in what is really nothing more than a hobby. I'd rather have the money working for me in the market. Maybe I've just been reading too many of Gene's posts. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah and I want my Avengers #12 and JIM #113 back.

Dang, he's snagging all our good books. 893whatthe.gif

On Scott's(FFB) note, I commend you for downgrading your collection. It actually makes sense, not just from a financial point, but from a collecting point. If you complete the runs you want, there is a certain amount of satisfaction, and if you ever have the urge to upgrade, you can. thumbsup2.gif

If I have duplicates of books, and I can't see enough of a difference, I will sell the higher graded copy. And I bought THREE of drummys books that were 8.5's (which I usually don't buy), because they fit into the runs I'm trying to collect, and the price was right.

All that said, I'm definitely not high on the stock market at this time. Yes, I max out mine and my wifes IRA's but that's it. Until gas prices go down, I will not be convinced that we can / are in a BULL MARKET. If you remember the 70's with high gas prices, the stock market was FLAT for a DECADE.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah and I want my Avengers #12 and JIM #113 back.

Dang, he's snagging all our good books. 893whatthe.gif

On Scott's(FFB) note, I commend you for downgrading your collection. It actually makes sense, not just from a financial point, but from a collecting point. If you complete the runs you want, there is a certain amount of satisfaction, and if you ever have the urge to upgrade, you can. thumbsup2.gif

If I have duplicates of books, and I can't see enough of a difference, I will sell the higher graded copy. And I bought THREE of drummys books that were 8.5's (which I usually don't buy), because they fit into the runs I'm trying to collect, and the price was right.

All that said, I'm definitely not high on the stock market at this time. Yes, I max out mine and my wifes IRA's but that's it. Until gas prices go down, I will not be convinced that we can / are in a BULL MARKET. If you remember the 70's with high gas prices, the stock market was FLAT for a DECADE.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a pretty balanced portfolio with plenty of hedging, so my portfolio has tended to do ok even in years when the US stock market is flat or down. There was one year where that wasn't true 893censored-thumb.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif but we needn't say anything about that except that I learned a valuable and expensive lesson about balanced investment strategies.

Another reason I am downgrading (actually, one of the biggest reasons and I'm embarrassed not to have mentioned it before) is because of slab damage. I have just gotten too many comics with slab damage and I am tired of it. If an 8.0/8.5 has slight bends in the overflash, the grade doesn't suffer as much. But try to argue that with a 9.4/9.6? People will laugh at you.