• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did any of these go to board members?

34 posts in this topic

I was the underbidder on the 76, 141, and 142. It will be really interesting to see how they grade out for the winners. Bidders didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that the seller is storing the books in gallon size Ziplocks, and taking the photos on their front lawn.

Of all the books, I think the 141 has the most potential. Other than the slight spine roll it looks flawless.

I hadn't looked too closely at the 141, but you're right. I was mostly interested in the Tec 76—the only one that was actually on my want list—but I did not see it hitting $2K with that big pencil mark on the back.

I was the underbidder on the 76, 141, and 142. It will be really interesting to see how they grade out for the winners. Bidders didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that the seller is storing the books in gallon size Ziplocks, and taking the photos on their front lawn.

Of all the books, I think the 141 has the most potential. Other than the slight spine roll it looks flawless.

Let's hope it's not shipped by putting the ziplock in a manilla envelope and slapping a stamp on. :D

Let's hope it's not shipped by putting the ziplock in a manilla envelope and slapping a stamp on. :D

I'm afraid that it might happen :eek:

A seller who doesn't know much about comics could do something like that, but I imagine the buyers will have pretty detailed shipping instructions.

I might have gone after one or two of them harder if I'd been able to get in touch with the seller to ask some questions, but I saw them too late.

I'm just curious what else the seller might have and what the backstory is.

I'd love to know the backstory, too. Some of the books look like remainders (or something) that had the corners cut off, and some of the other books had dust shadows on them that matched those lopped-off corners, so I think the comics were in a stack together for a very long time.

I'm just curious what else the seller might have and what the backstory is.

I'd love to know the backstory, too. Some of the books look like remainders (or something) that had the corners cut off, and some of the other books had dust shadows on them that matched those lopped-off corners, so I think the comics were in a stack together for a very long time.

... you guys should ask..... worst he can do is ignore. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I emailed the seller twice during the week, and received no response either time.

I asked a couple of questions at the last minute (and knew I probably wouldn't get a reply in time to bid). I was kicking myself for not asking sooner, but I guess it wouldn't have made any difference. I especially wanted to know whether there was any rust on the staples of the Tec 76. I couldn't justify bidding aggressively without knowing that.

I emailed the seller twice during the week, and received no response either time.

I asked a couple of questions at the last minute (and knew I probably wouldn't get a reply in time to bid). I was kicking myself for not asking sooner, but I guess it wouldn't have made any difference. I especially wanted to know whether there was any rust on the staples of the Tec 76. I couldn't justify bidding aggressively without knowing that.

If the interior is good, I think it's a 8.0-8.5 book.

I was following those books - I thought they looked sharp but didn't think they would go for such prices.

Back in the day such auctions might've slipped under the radar (possibly) - now folks are bidding such books above their potential...

true, I remember the days when raw books on eBay, even if they looked nice, couldn't achieve the prices that graded books would, which was always an advertised perk of grading. now it seems bidders are more daring.

The winner's curse -- whoever most greatly overestimates the value of the book will win it.

I guess they're waiting to hit the jackpot, hoping they can press a book to an ultra high grade. Or maybe they just want to feel like they "won" an auction and don't care if they overpay. If that's the case, their pockets must be much deeper than mine (which isn't saying much).

I did the same, also got no response. And considering she was also selling shoes and unrelated paraphernalia I thought it might have been a scam.

My gut instincts tell me the auctions were legit, but it's hard to justify paying that close to full price when there's that much risk involved. She probably inherited an original owner collection and didn't put much thought into selling them. After all, if they were free to her, then whatever they sold for was gravy.

I bid on them all and got absolutely destroyed. Not even close.

I also emailed the seller and got no response.

I agree. The market is so hot many bidders seem to have no risk aversion. Those pics didn't show very much, and there was no guarantee that all pages were present. :insane: