• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

oh, and government pensions, local, state, or national.... yah. You might want to make sure that isnt your sole source of income in old age. Just sayin....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/11709844/Greek-banks-reopen-chaotic-scenes-as-people-rush-to-withdraw-pensions.html

And then there is this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/05/31/trustees-full-social-security-benefits-will-only-last-until-2033

the last part becomes a non-issue if they eliminate the cap on social security (allowing the tax on income over $117K or whatever it is this year) and would really be a non-issue if capital gains were treated as regular income and, gasp, taxed at regular income tax rates (which could then be lowered a bit for all the rest of us).

i still don't understand why a brain surgeon's work is taxed at 38% or an experienced teacher around the same rate, but a professional investor or private equity fund manager gets taxed at 15%. this is bizarro world.

Is it feasible for dealers in stronger economic parts of the country to travel to weaker economic parts of the country to buy inventory at an even better price and then flip it in there native area. Example: A dealer from NY traveling to the south to buy merch. This idea reminds me of running cigarettes across the state lines lol

Is it feasible for dealers in stronger economic parts of the country to travel to weaker economic parts of the country to buy inventory at an even better price and then flip it in there native area. Example: A dealer from NY traveling to the south to buy merch. This idea reminds me of running cigarettes across the state lines lol

It actually is pretty genius to go to small local shows to try to buy out dealers. It seems a large majority of the dealers at the smaller cons are older guys who would love to get out of the "game" if someone would buy them out. If fact both of the guys who I know sold to the guys from NC were thinking that would have been their last show due to health and job issues.

Someone made mention of the US increasing oil production to the point that they are now the largest oil exporter in the world.

The US is not the largest exporter of oil in the world, quite the opposite in fact as the US has had a ban on exporting oil since 1975. What I said was that in 2014, the US became the largest producer of oil in the world. (thumbs u

Someone made mention of the US increasing oil production to the point that they are now the largest oil exporter in the world.

The US is not the largest exporter of oil in the world, quite the opposite in fact as the US has had a ban on exporting oil since 1975. What I said was that in 2014, the US became the largest producer of oil in the world. (thumbs u

the u.s. exports a lot of refined GASOLINE, not crude oil

credit is not as easy as it was in 2006 or whenever. i really have to wonder how much of this is actually fueled by easy credit, HELOCs, etc. as banks are more stingy about this stuff now. oh sure, you can get a credit card easy enough, but it will have a $1000 limit. interest rates are low, but banks aren't necessarily handing out loans like candy anymore, or at least that's my impression.

well, some people want to defund nasa and science research because they don't believe in science.....

and i bet those people don't like comic books either

Yup. I remember reading Overstreet market reports verifying this. Maybe not so much now that the internet has taken over but earlier, definitely.

OK, that makes sense Mike. Could find the exact quote.

So is there a large push in the US to increase GDP in an effort to deal with debt and inflation?

credit is not as easy as it was in 2006 or whenever. i really have to wonder how much of this is actually fueled by easy credit, HELOCs, etc. as banks are more stingy about this stuff now. oh sure, you can get a credit card easy enough, but it will have a $1000 limit. interest rates are low, but banks aren't necessarily handing out loans like candy anymore, or at least that's my impression.

Student credit for college loans is easy. All you need is a pulse to get $50,000 in debt.

Car credit loans are easy to.

Mortgage and business loans is were they don`t give it away anymore.

2c

The US has a few exceptions whereby certain producers are attempting to export oil.

The US gets around the export ban by exporting refined products, gasoline and diesel which is why the US refineries are running at such high capacity. The proposed keystone pipeline is really just a way for canada to get in on the refining "action", I doubt any of the oil coming through it would even be used in the US.

So is there a large push in the US to increase GDP in an effort to deal with debt and inflation?

There's a large push in the US to revive the economy (through the perpetually low interest rates we've enjoyed for the last many years), which would increase the GDP so I guess the answer is "yes"!

I think you're talking about the Akron Comic Con last Sunday- at Chapparrels Party Center (a converted bowling alley). BTW, I would not call it tiny- unless you're comparing it was San Diego- there's a couple of Overstreet Advisors usually set up (one not there this time), and its been around for 25 years- use to be a couple of two day days at Tadmor Hall. One of my customers was Gary, a regular contributor to the Grand Comic Database. I was set up just to the left (from the audience's view) of the stage (where the promoter was calling out the raffle numbers). I was on the wall with about 150 display books- mostly silver age, with some pre code horror, and about a dozen Classics Illustrateds. Perhaps one or more of you have stopped by.

I think I know of the old dealer you're talking about (located straight down the aisle after paying and the first booth as you step down against the wall- as walking by around 2 pm, I inquired as to why his table was empty, and got the story from a neighbor. I've been purchasing lots in $500-$1000 sets over the past 6 years- one of the memorial acquisitions was a Marvel Mystery 21 (1941) which I read and flipped to a customer. Other fun stuff were Golden Lad, Jeep Comics, Yellowjacket, etc. One will pay for the stuff, and like many purchases, its recommended to sample the insides.

There's another dealer in the opposite corner, who said it was his last show- he's been interviewed (or at least quoted) by the Cleveland Plain Dealer regarding setting up at the San Diego Comic con.

Regarding the deal, if he got 30%, then he did well; probably covered whatever he had into the comcs and maybe some change. If it was me with that cash, I'd have been looking for a better return. Reminds me of the years I set up at Mid Ohio Con and Mile High Chuck would give me some business, usually filling up a box or two.

I think you're talking about the Akron Comic Con last Sunday- at Chapparrels Party Center (a converted bowling alley). BTW, I would not call it tiny- unless you're comparing it was San Diego- there's a couple of Overstreet Advisors usually set up (one not there this time), and its been around for 25 years- use to be a couple of two day days at Tadmor Hall. One of my customers was Gary, a regular contributor to the Grand Comic Database. I was set up just to the left (from the audience's view) of the stage (where the promoter was calling out the raffle numbers). I was on the wall with about 150 display books- mostly silver age, with some pre code horror, and about a dozen Classics Illustrateds. Perhaps one or more of you have stopped by.

I think I know of the old dealer you're talking about (located straight down the aisle after paying and the first booth as you step down against the wall- as walking by around 2 pm, I inquired as to why his table was empty, and got the story from a neighbor. I've been purchasing lots in $500-$1000 sets over the past 6 years- one of the memorial acquisitions was a Marvel Mystery 21 (1941) which I read and flipped to a customer. Other fun stuff were Golden Lad, Jeep Comics, Yellowjacket, etc. One will pay for the stuff, and like many purchases, its recommended to sample the insides.

There's another dealer in the opposite corner, who said it was his last show- he's been interviewed (or at least quoted) by the Cleveland Plain Dealer regarding setting up at the San Diego Comic con.

Regarding the deal, if he got 30%, then he did well; probably covered whatever he had into the comcs and maybe some change. If it was me with that cash, I'd have been looking for a better return. Reminds me of the years I set up at Mid Ohio Con and Mile High Chuck would give me some business, usually filling up a box or two.

I'm definitely lowing my buy price on key books if dealers are making money at 30% of their asking price. :grin:

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

I am actually quite surprised that he would even countered with $15K. Especially when the wall books should be the cream of the crop of his collection. He should definitely be expecting a lot more than 30% to 40% of his asking price.

Almost makes you wonder how far down he would have gone on his boxed books. doh!

He was offering 40% off his box books and I got about 20-25% off his wall books. Never even considered trying to get below 30 - 40% off wall books but I guess 12k has a way to make things happen.

What kind of books are we talking about here? Were they mostly BA and CA books which the collector had brought off the newsstand?

Being a long-time collector, did he have the books priced at Overstreet guide which is quite common with the old-time collectors at these smaller cons when they are trying to get rid of their collection? Or was he one of these newer dealers (i.e. speculators) with so-called hot books priced more towards GPA slabbed prices even though they are still raw?

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

I am actually quite surprised that he would even countered with $15K. Especially when the wall books should be the cream of the crop of his collection. He should definitely be expecting a lot more than 30% to 40% of his asking price.

Almost makes you wonder how far down he would have gone on his boxed books. doh!

He was offering 40% off his box books and I got about 20-25% off his wall books. Never even considered trying to get below 30 - 40% off wall books but I guess 12k has a way to make things happen.

What kind of books are we talking about here? Were they mostly BA and CA books which the collector had brought off the newsstand?

Being a long-time collector, did he have the books priced at Overstreet guide which is quite common with the old-time collectors at these smaller cons when they are trying to get rid of their collection? Or was he one of these newer dealers (i.e. speculators) with so-called hot books priced more towards GPA slabbed prices even though they are still raw?

From Marksvint's post it sounds more like he was some old guy with a bunch of GA/SA junk that would take forever to find a buyer for, especially approaching Guide prices.

The US has a few exceptions whereby certain producers are attempting to export oil.

The US gets around the export ban by exporting refined products, gasoline and diesel which is why the US refineries are running at such high capacity. The proposed keystone pipeline is really just a way for canada to get in on the refining "action", I doubt any of the oil coming through it would even be used in the US.

You're reaching, Mr. Storms (tsk)

When I saw everything clear from his spot, I'm assuming that he sold everything- obviously they reconciled the difference between $13K and $15K. Sure, he'd have more into his wall books than 30%; I found out over time the real make or break is what's in the table boxes.

Besides the cost of goods percentage, there's also what I call admin costs- if a dealer pays $160 for 2 tables, makes 5 times that for $800, has another $140 for gas/hotel, then this ratio is $300/$800 or 37.5%. I've heard a store owner always harp about this at big shows- wanting to get this below 35%. Hence I'd expect price resistance from a dealer on wall books at anything approaching a 30% off deal. If the dealer does the $15K deal, this is 50 times table, and probably 100 times (as this guy did not travel far to this show), he's looking at 1-2% of admin costs instead of my 37.5%.

If he's the one with the nice shape X Men #1 (had only a quick glance before the show), then its likely its been a book he's been stashing for a few decades and his current percentage would look good as this has increased in value, especially if its above Fine. I think a lot of dealers have some books put away for a payday (I do). I now remember years ago, a dealer from New Jersey wanted $40K for $160K, with $40K of value being golden age comics (he sent me photo's), and the rest being basic show stock. That was a bit out of my ballpark at that time.

From memory, the Akron dealer had some eye catching wall books, but that's not reflective of everything in his bins. We've done these lot deals- last time I got low grade Actions 237, Adventure 230, 3 X Men in the 20's, a few westerns, a Dell Green Hornet, a Dell John Carter, a few romance, and about half being low grade funny animals including Dells.

When I saw everything clear from his spot, I'm assuming that he sold everything- obviously they reconciled the difference between $13K and $15K. Sure, he'd have more into his wall books than 30%; I found out over time the real make or break is what's in the table boxes.

Besides the cost of goods percentage, there's also what I call admin costs- if a dealer pays $160 for 2 tables, makes 5 times that for $800, has another $140 for gas/hotel, then this ratio is $300/$800 or 37.5%. I've heard a store owner always harp about this at big shows- wanting to get this below 35%. Hence I'd expect price resistance from a dealer on wall books at anything approaching a 30% off deal. If the dealer does the $15K deal, this is 50 times table, and probably 100 times (as this guy did not travel far to this show), he's looking at 1-2% of admin costs instead of my 37.5%.

If he's the one with the nice shape X Men #1 (had only a quick glance before the show), then its likely its been a book he's been stashing for a few decades and his current percentage would look good as this has increased in value, especially if its above Fine. I think a lot of dealers have some books put away for a payday (I do). I now remember years ago, a dealer from New Jersey wanted $40K for $160K, with $40K of value being golden age comics (he sent me photo's), and the rest being basic show stock. That was a bit out of my ballpark at that time.

From memory, the Akron dealer had some eye catching wall books, but that's not reflective of everything in his bins. We've done these lot deals- last time I got low grade Actions 237, Adventure 230, 3 X Men in the 20's, a few westerns, a Dell Green Hornet, a Dell John Carter, a few romance, and about half being low grade funny animals including Dells.

I hope to God it wasn't over a FN since he only wanted $1,700 for it. I glanced at it last show but never had enough money to even look it over closely. If that puppy was even close to a FN I'm going to be kicking myself for awhile. I kind of assumed it was your typical 2.0/2.5 copy you see at shows ungraded.