• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

If they were able to buy a whole wall for 70% off then I'd have bought out the wall myself. If they bought the wall for 30% off then I'd probably have a hard time justifying buying a ton of books I've already got.

I can't give you an exact figure, but it was somewhere between 30-40% of the total asking price.

The old timer dealer you referred to, was offered a similar percentage. They nearly came to a deal for his wall books and some long boxes. They offered 13k, he wanted 15k, they did not come to an agreement on price.

2k apart?

I would have taken the $13k...how long will it take to sell all of that inventory?

Take the money and run.

Not a chance in hell I'd take that deal. The old guy had a nice X-Men 1 (wanted $1,700 for it) and a really nice batch of book considering the usual wall books in my area. I grabbed 3 copies of HFH 1 and a Silver Surfer 4 and wish I would have spent more time looking over his books before checking out the rest of the room. Based on his inventory, I'd say $15K was a great deal for his wall let alone a couple long boxes of extra books.

If they were able to buy a whole wall for 70% off then I'd have bought out the wall myself. If they bought the wall for 30% off then I'd probably have a hard time justifying buying a ton of books I've already got.

I can't give you an exact figure, but it was somewhere between 30-40% of the total asking price.

The old timer dealer you referred to, was offered a similar percentage. They nearly came to a deal for his wall books and some long boxes. They offered 13k, he wanted 15k, they did not come to an agreement on price.

2k apart?

I would have taken the $13k...how long will it take to sell all of that inventory?

Take the money and run.

I'll buy your collection if it's for sale lol

$37,500K ask

$15K after discount (assuming 60% discount)

That's $22,500 off the original ask. Another $2K gets him to $20,500.

Remember, these are wall books.

Sounds like a tremendous deal.

NM 98 is the most endless supply book there is and all that stupid book has it upside. FF 52 is IMO still a book you buy today that has upside. FF 45 might be capped but it is not going down anytime soon with movies and Marvel saying these are our X-men replacements.

So you picked the 3rd most important comic book of all time to go down I see.

Well good luck with that. (thumbs u

Maybe in 5 years I can also get google stock at half price as well.

I wouldn't exactly be running out to by NM 98 at today's prices either, but that book at least has the advantage of having a real fan base, rather than being driven purely by movie hype. Deadpool is already a hugely popular character. The Inhumans might be, if a movie several years down the road is hugely successful.

Do you realize that Google stock has had more than 50% declines in the recent past? It was 357 on Dec 7th 2007, and was 131 on Nov 21st 2008, less than a year later. I don't have an opinion on Google stock, but don't rule out it going down by 50% at some point in the next five years. The advantage of stocks though is that even if you buy a little too high, over time the continued growth and earnings of the company tend to push prices up, so long holding periods can bail you out. However, even the best company can get so overpriced that you never recover. Take a look at Cisco's chart. Cisco is a great company, with a dominate position in most of its markets. People who bought it at its peak popularity in 1999 are still waiting for it to get back to the price they bought it at, and they will probably be waiting another 10-15 years. Those of us who bought in 2002 or 2009 are doing okay though. The price you pay matters. There is nothing that is a good investment regardless of price.

At some price even the 3rd most important comic book in the world becomes overpriced. For the low grade copies, I believe that we are there for AF15. Does that mean I expect it to plummet? Nope. It just means I expect it to be cheaper on an inflation-adjusted basis 5 years from now.

We will see.

The 90's perhaps not ,but you can compare it to the all the rest of the collectible markets from the last couple of decades. Ask a lot of people who overpaid for custom bikes or cars how much those a worth after pop culture runup was over and the market dumped.

I don't think the Market is sustainable at the current increases but everyone has there own opinions and only time will tell. The Market will reset itself and then the true values will come out. Could take a few years before that happens.

Can you tell me 3 books right now you think will have a major correction to their true values?

FF45

WWBN32

Any "low print run" variant

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Why would FF 45 and WWBN #32 crash when the general public acceptance of these characters are soon to expand?

Maybe a slight correction eventually like WD #1 will undergo, but still way ahead of the pre-explosion hype values.

John I agree with you,seems people can't understand the popularity of Moon Knight. You add that to a shortage of high grade copies.WWBN has always been a very popular book,and will continue to be so.

I'm not so sure on the general publics acceptance of Inhumans it Moon Knight.

I still say there's a chance we never see an Inhumans movie. That greatly depends on the success of many movies a head.

If Black Panther, Dr. strange, and Captain Marvel don't do well... Or flop, there's a chance we won't see Inhumans.

If we do, how are we sure they will be a house hold name. I just do see it.

And Moon Knight. Ask the average Joe about Moon Knight...

Since Marvel Studios made Guardians of the Galaxy a mega hit I think they can handle the better characters just fine.

That is my point eventually average Joe will know these characters.

Deadpool anyone. :baiting:

GOTG was not a super hero movie. It was a funny space action movie that happened to come from comics.

As for Deadpool, he was already in that Wolverine movie and kids like him too...he pops up in the Spiderman cartoon and is basically the same sort of insane wise-cracking character there.

With the low-grade books though, there are people out there with stacks and stacks of VG FF45s. The supply is nearly endless, and when the hype dies down the book almost has to trend downward. I'll put FF52 in that category as well.

----------

I won't debate whether either book is hard to find, and yes, the inhumans need to be a real hit for it to make sense, but i don't think they are in the same league as 47 or 48, which i think had some sort of warehouse situation going on.

I won't debate whether either book is hard to find, and yes, the inhumans need to be a real hit for it to make sense, but i don't think they are in the same league as 47 or 48, which i think had some sort of warehouse situation going on.

That's part of the reason I was speaking specifically about lower grade copies. For lower grade copies, the Inhumans really need to become as popular as Silver Surfer and Galactus for the current prices to make sense. That could happen, but I wouldn't consider it a lock by any means, and even if it does happen, that just justifies the price it has already attained.

For higher grade copies, the extra supply of FF48's could make it cheaper than FF45 in high grade, if the warehouse find everyone talks about was truly significant. Certainly, my impression is that FF45 is much tougher in high grade.

VG copies are plentiful however. I doubt that any warehouse find could be significant for books that number in the 10s of thousands.

2k apart?

Take the money and run.

$37,500K ask

Assuming $37,500 was the total value, then no, that wouldn't be wise.

But if he was at $15k and the buyers were at $13k...its not that far off.

Let's factor time to sell all of the inventory to make that $2k.

There's no guarantee everything will sell.

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

He only sells a couple times a year, and he is getting tired of moving all those books. He's a college professor, he just sells books, because he has them. Don't think he wants to put the work in to get max value.

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

He only sells a couple times a year, and he is getting tired of moving all those books. He's a college professor, he just sells books, because he has them. Don't think he wants to put the work in to get max value.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can get together 14 - 15K and buy him out at the next show. It seemed people were hitting his keys hard on Sunday but he definitely had a ton of nice books when I left on Sunday.

2k apart?

Take the money and run.

$37,500K ask

Assuming $37,500 was the total value, then no, that wouldn't be wise.

But if he was at $15k and the buyers were at $13k...its not that far off.

Let's factor time to sell all of the inventory to make that $2k.

There's no guarantee everything will sell.

I was using the 60% discount that someone mentioned earlier off the original ask. Incrementally, i agree $2K is peanuts.

That's part of the reason I was speaking specifically about lower grade copies. For lower grade copies, the Inhumans really need to become as popular as Silver Surfer and Galactus for the current prices to make sense. That could happen, but I wouldn't consider it a lock by any means, and even if it does happen, that just justifies the price it has already attained.

For higher grade copies, the extra supply of FF48's could make it cheaper than FF45 in high grade, if the warehouse find everyone talks about was truly significant. Certainly, my impression is that FF45 is much tougher in high grade.

VG copies are plentiful however. I doubt that any warehouse find could be significant for books that number in the 10s of thousands.

i have no idea, but it does feel like there are a lot more FF 48s floating around out there. of course, it has been worth "extra" for a long time.

VG copies of ASM 129 are plentiful too. i understand where you are coming from. is a VG copy really at $300? i know i sold a Fine type copy here for about that much a few months back. i was really disappointed to see I only had one of them given how many copies of 47 and 48 I own/have owned over the years, but frankly, i did not even realize it was the first inhumans given that some of the characters had appeared previously in FF and blackbolt isn't until 46. is it a "first" if half the team already appeared elsewhere?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can get together 14 - 15K and buy him out at the next show. It seemed people were hitting his keys hard on Sunday but he definitely had a ton of nice books when I left on Sunday.

Tons of great books.

He was tempting me with some early ASM books :cloud9:

Best bet I think would be to hit him up, right before the end of a show.

So the important details of this thread:

lower grade AF 15 prices expected to drop, adjusted for inflation. Hope so want to own one someday.

More and more girls are reading comics. Yay, I'm hoping our daughter will like Spidey.

Infinity comics are scum b/c they want to buy lowball and push the bars beyond current prices.

I don't think it's uncommon for customers and/or dealers to swipe a vendor's entire inventor, particularly, on the first day or just before the con begins.
That may be the the one thing a 1st-time seller may be unprepared for. I know I was. You're in a new environment, you want to be friendly, it's close to show-time and doing final prep, but visitors keep coming by to talk. By 'talk' I mean to comment on your display, any exceptional pieces they notice, how much are you asking, and what's the lowest you would accept. Then the money comes out.

During a 1st break I walked around to see most of my best offerings sitting at other tables priced for more. It was disorienting, realizing a significant mistake had been made right out of the gate.

I understand if a dealer swings buy and meets your 85-95% of your asking price depending on how much or what is bought. I mean you are there to sell. What sucks is when a dealer grabs a reasonably priced item for the grade and then turns around to sell if for twice the price at his booth.

That's the 'edge' I'm talking about, and it doesn't take much. If they can absorb competition before the doors open, any percentage off is enough of an advantage. By the time the doors DO open their booths are more exciting, draw more traffic and can ask higher prices.

I'm only suggesting a 1st-time seller might mentally prepare with a "hey, you have good taste. Leave me your card or name and drop by after the show's over. If it's still here I'll hold it for you." type response. Why bargain away good stuff before "the demand" side of the equation even gets through the door? You paid-to-play just like they did, so why not play first?

If you are going to sell before the public has a chance why add the cost of a show?Brock has offered 85-95% throught the boards.

So the important details of this thread:

lower grade AF 15 prices expected to drop, adjusted for inflation. Hope so want to own one someday.

More and more girls are reading comics. Yay, I'm hoping our daughter will like Spidey.

Infinity comics are scum b/c they want to buy lowball and push the bars beyond current prices.

And maybe the comic industry isn't as hot as I thought if dealers are willing to sell whole walls of books for 40% of asking price.

At a tiny comic con this weekend I saw a couple guys buying up a few dealer's walls in one shot. I didn't hear what discount they were asking but these guys didn't seem to care what books were on the walls but took the whole batch. Is the market so good people see a huge profit in pretty much any key no matter how small?

I did talk to one of the guys and they were out of North Carolina which is a 7 hour drive both ways! I've never heard of them but maybe Infinity Comics is a big dealer of books down south. How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

I've said it for years on here, and I will keep saying it.

The crash will not come until the free money era ends. As long as the US keeps printing money out of thin air, everything valued in said currency will still trend upwards.

When that finally stops happening there will be much bigger things to worry about than comic books. For now different parts of the market may bubble over and pull back, (WD, tv optioned image books, marvel movie books, etc), but the tide will still be rising all boats.

In order:

First the Euro will go

Eventually the USD will go

Then everything else will go( <---- comics fit in here)

Then those without debt will buy the world for pennies on the dollar. Or rather SDRs, USD 2.0, or whatever they make up to replace the current dollar once it fails and gets vaporized...