• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

At a tiny comic con this weekend I saw a couple guys buying up a few dealer's walls in one shot. I didn't hear what discount they were asking but these guys didn't seem to care what books were on the walls but took the whole batch. Is the market so good people see a huge profit in pretty much any key no matter how small?

I did talk to one of the guys and they were out of North Carolina which is a 7 hour drive both ways! I've never heard of them but maybe Infinity Comics is a big dealer of books down south. How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

I've said it for years on here, and I will keep saying it.

The crash will not come until the free money era ends. As long as the US keeps printing money out of thin air, everything valued in said currency will still trend upwards.

When that finally stops happening there will be much bigger things to worry about than comic books. For now different parts of the market may bubble over and pull back, (WD, tv optioned image books, marvel movie books, etc), but the tide will still be rising all boats.

In order:

First the Euro will go

Eventually the USD will go

Then everything else will go( <---- comics fit in here)

Then those without debt will buy the world for pennies on the dollar. Or rather SDRs, USD 2.0, or whatever they make up to replace the current dollar once it fails and gets vaporized...

So comics will last longer than the US $?

The crash will not come until the free money era ends. As long as the US keeps printing money out of thin air, everything valued in said currency will still trend upwards.

When that finally stops happening there will be much bigger things to worry about than comic books. For now different parts of the market may bubble over and pull back, (WD, tv optioned image books, marvel movie books, etc), but the tide will still be rising all boats.

In order:

First the Euro will go

Then those without debt will buy the world for pennies on the dollar. Or rather SDRs, USD 2.0, or whatever they make up to replace the current dollar once it fails and gets vaporized...

"A quart of milk, please."

"That'll be two ASM #300VGs with a Millie the Model #144G in change."

In order:

First the Euro will go

A quart of milk.

That'll be two ASM #300VGs with a Millie the Model #144G in change.

lol

There was a small "Comic Con" at the Regional Library this Sunday for grades K-12......mostly discussions about books they like, a Pixar animator guest, and, of course, a costume contest. At least half of the attendees were girls, among them was Aishaa, an 11 year old girl that Judy and I watch while her Mother is at work. She loves comics. When girls enter the comic collecting market en masse, which they will, the market could easily double. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Chevy could hardly keep The Vette on market in the early 90s, then woman started driving them. Now a majority of Vettes are sold to women. Jimbo, i think you hit the nail on the head.

"Women...the new Men."

lol

-----------------

so why would they end it unless we elect someone who wants to sink the economy?

the money growth rate is not that wild right now, but yes, it does outpace population growth and does not seem to be reflected in the reported inflation rates. we should probably have 4% inflation and 6-7% interest rates given the money gorwth rate, but i am no economist.

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

I am actually quite surprised that he would even countered with $15K. Especially when the wall books should be the cream of the crop of his collection. He should definitely be expecting a lot more than 30% to 40% of his asking price.

Almost makes you wonder how far down he would have gone on his boxed books. doh!

I'm actually a bit surprised he didn't sell at 13k. Not because it was a fair price, because his books were easily worth much more than that.

I am actually quite surprised that he would even countered with $15K. Especially when the wall books should be the cream of the crop of his collection. He should definitely be expecting a lot more than 30% to 40% of his asking price.

Almost makes you wonder how far down he would have gone on his boxed books. doh!

He was offering 40% off his box books and I got about 20-25% off his wall books. Never even considered trying to get below 30 - 40% off wall books but I guess 12k has a way to make things happen.

How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

My take on this scenario is quite different now that we have a much better idea of what the dealers were being offered.

How the heck can the comic market be this soft that dealers would be willing to take only 30% to 40% of their asking price for their prized wall books. :tonofbricks:

This did happen in the 90s. I remember out of town stores used to come and buy 100s of books from dealers at shows in my area. Ive even had a comic shop come buy about 300 books from me back in the 90s when I was doing flea markets for fun in college.

Currently I don't see a crash coming anytime soon until the movie wave fades out. Every year I see a slow down in the summer due to conventions. This year I am really not seeing it.

This did happen in the 90s. I remember out of town stores used to come and buy 100s of books from dealers at shows in my area. Ive even had a comic shop come buy about 300 books from me back in the 90s when I was doing flea markets for fun in college.

I guess the strength of the comic market can be determined by whether they were paying you fair market value or only pennies on the dollar for your books. hm

How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

My take on this scenario is quite different now that we have a much better idea of what the dealers were being offered.

How the heck can the comic market be this soft that dealers would be willing to take only 30% to 40% of their asking price for their prized wall books. :tonofbricks:

They could be using the fairly common tactic of pricing everything at double what it's worth and offering a 50% discount or just overpricing their books in general.

Unless we know more details about the books, including condition and price, it's impossible to say exactly how or if the transactions were that unreasonable.

Sorry CBT but I don't buy your doomsday scenario

If that's the case, you should come down from the Great White North and buy some farmland and a few mules...get to workin' boi

carl-300x222.jpg

I have to agree that there will be no doomsday scenario,

People two hundred + years ago didn`t have USD and EUROS,and they survived just fine.

Fiat is fiat. Once the current one is gone, than they will find something else to replace it with.

That`s why I never bought into buying all that gold as a doomsday scenario theory.

Gold is fine as insurance, but to think it will be the savior investment is suspect.

I realize its a complicated subject and people love to try and joke it off, let me just explain it like this:

As the rest of the world's financial/economic system fails, people will flee to the USD as the perceived safe haven of last resort.

Once that has run its course with all its ups and downs, eventually, confidence will fail in the USD itself, as people realize the US debts are completely unsustainable as well.

AS the US dollar begins to fail, the people that manipulate it will lose control. They will no longer be able to hold interest rates down artifically, nor will they be able to print more money out of thin air (introduce debt to the system).

When those two things happen, rates will soar and the unsustainable debt will contagion/domino destroy the USD, all markets, and the current so called "financial" system.

While that is going on, all the other bubbles will be popping. Comics will not out last the US dollar in the sense that its replacement as the world reserve currency (which it acquired from England for saving them from Germany) will happen after we are in a full blown catastrophic depression. The comic bubble will not pop until the USD is in the process of failling, is what I meant.

That is to say, once the free money era has ended, and they've lost control of interest rates via their artificial manipulations no longer working.

TL;DR

-US dollar starts failing when the money printers can no longer artificially hold interest rates down

-Comics and all other bubbles pop when interest rates start rising uncontrollably and free money era ends

-USD is replaced as world reserve currency after hyperinflation by either IMF SDR's or some sort of "new" devalued USD

unless i am confusing the players here, i think this was a "dealer" looking to get rid of his collection, not someone who does this for a living long-term. also, you have no idea if he has another "wall" of these books back home. he's an old guy flying solo, why bring all your good stuff at once and risk getting shoplifted?

and, of course, how jacked up were the prices on those wall books to start with? 1cool bought some, but presumably those were the ones priced right. maybe the ones left and bought in bulk were the ones where he misjudged the market and jacked them up too high? some "keys" don't get guide, and maybe he had them at guide+. i've had to sell SA keys and semi-keys here for 30-40% off guide because nobody was biting and i didn't want to deal with ebay on them.

Sorry CBT but I don't buy your doomsday scenario

If that's the case, you should come down from the Great White North and buy some farmland and a few mules...get to workin' boi

carl-300x222.jpg

couple things:

-it's not "my" scenario

-the "great white" part of the north is like 800-1000 miles north of where i live

-the farmland around me is better than "down there"

The only thing people need to do is get out of debt.

Then when others are losing there shirts because "they didnt believe it could happen", you can be the one buying the shirts ;)

Humor aside though, 99.9% have no idea how the financial system works, what happened in 2008, and how nothing was fixed, only delayed. You cant fix a debt problem by creating more debt.

The only thing that stopped the crash in 2008, was the bailout/QE which people also dont understand.

Anyone who takes the time to understand what happened, how it works, and what is still going on, understands its not a question of IF. Only when. They can keep kicking the can for years, but eventually, reality will assert itself.

oh, and government pensions, local, state, or national.... yah. You might want to make sure that isnt your sole source of income in old age. Just sayin....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/11709844/Greek-banks-reopen-chaotic-scenes-as-people-rush-to-withdraw-pensions.html

And then there is this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/05/31/trustees-full-social-security-benefits-will-only-last-until-2033

I realize its a complicated subject and people love to try and joke it off, let me just explain it like this:

As the rest of the world's financial/economic system fails, people will flee to the USD as the perceived safe haven of last resort.

Once that has run its course with all its ups and downs, eventually, confidence will fail in the USD itself, as people realize the US debts are completely unsustainable as well.

AS the US dollar begins to fail, the people that manipulate it will lose control. They will no longer be able to hold interest rates down artifically, nor will they be able to print more money out of thin air (introduce debt to the system).

When those two things happen, rates will soar and the unsustainable debt will contagion/domino destroy the USD, all markets, and the current so called "financial" system.

While that is going on, all the other bubbles will be popping. Comics will not out last the US dollar in the sense that its replacement as the world reserve currency (which it acquired from England for saving them from Germany) will happen after we are in a full blown catastrophic depression. The comic bubble will not pop until the USD is in the process of failling, is what I meant.

That is to say, once the free money era has ended, and they've lost control of interest rates via their artificial manipulations no longer working.

TL;DR

-US dollar starts failing when the money printers can no longer artificially hold interest rates down

-Comics and all other bubbles pop when interest rates start rising uncontrollably and free money era ends

-USD is replaced as world reserve currency after hyperinflation by either IMF SDR's or some sort of "new" devalued USD

While I don't disagree with what you said, a recent discussion in the WC did shed some light on the topic of the growth of the GDP combatting both inflation and debt.

Someone made mention of the US increasing oil production to the point that they are now the largest oil exporter in the world.

I have no idea whether that is true or not but there does seem to be a push to increase the US GDP.