• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

At a tiny comic con this weekend I saw a couple guys buying up a few dealer's walls in one shot. I didn't hear what discount they were asking but these guys didn't seem to care what books were on the walls but took the whole batch. Is the market so good people see a huge profit in pretty much any key no matter how small?

I did talk to one of the guys and they were out of North Carolina which is a 7 hour drive both ways! I've never heard of them but maybe Infinity Comics is a big dealer of books down south. How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

This sure sounds like the 1990s all over again, and with a very few exceptions, I hated that decade.

If the majority of the wall books mentioned by the OP were from the past few years then, yes, it sounds like the 90's is back. However if they were loaded with bronze, copper and key 90's books like NM 98 & early Harley appearances then this is a different animal all together.

This sure sounds like the 1990s all over again, and with a very few exceptions, I hated that decade.

Actually better than the 1990s in that all the 90s really had was Batman movies.

Now there seems to be super hero movie/tv show announced every other month to generate interest.

Enjoy it because markets are cyclical.

It's gonna crash. You know how I know?

Because I'm making money....

So of course it's gonna crash, because I'm doing good.

You could pretty much blame me when it happens.

It won`t crash for a couple of years, so go make some more money.

Think short-term with this, and you should be ok.

(thumbs u

If the majority of the wall books mentioned by the OP were from the past few years then, yes, it sounds like the 90's is back. However if they were loaded with bronze, copper and key 90's books like NM 98 & early Harley appearances then this is a different animal all together.

Typical small show walls generally do not have all those hot key books. The guy I saw packing up his stuff after they bought him out had a few nicer books like a FF 52 and Giant Sized X-Men 1 but a ton of books like Ms Marvel 1, Byrne X-Men and such. If they got a 40% discount then I guess it was a good buy no matter what was up on the wall but I can't imagine the guy who sold would go that low on his in demand books.

Makes sense to me. The only thing dealers want to buy is keys, so buy all of the guy's keys at a discount and resell as normal.

I'm sensing subtext in the OP's post... how much of the wall that got bought out seemed insignificant to you?

There was a small "Comic Con" at the Regional Library this Sunday for grades K-12......mostly discussions about books they like, a Pixar animator guest, and, of course, a costume contest. At least half of the attendees were girls, among them was Aishaa, an 11 year old girl that Judy and I watch while her Mother is at work. She loves comics. When girls enter the comic collecting market en masse, which they will, the market could easily double. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Infinity Comics is a big dealer

:roflmao:

There's a reason they have to travel 14 hours to get any supply. They're never welcome at my table.

I think there is a story here hm

:popcorn:

Makes sense to me. The only thing dealers want to buy is keys, so buy all of the guy's keys at a discount and resell as normal.

I'm sensing subtext in the OP's post... how much of the wall that got bought out seemed insignificant to you?

I truthfully only saw a small sample of what these guys were buying up since one dealer was packing up his booth when I made my way around to that booth. They may have made a killing on the stuff they bought and made it worth while to them - I don't know that. I do know they were 7 hours away from their store at a one day show that I barely heard about and I live in the area. That's dedication (or a huge profit margin at the end) for picking up books if you are willing to drive 14 hours for a 1 day show.

I will say I was not impressed by the way they were talking to one of the dealers. This older dealer seemed flustered by them walking up and asking if he wanted to sell them his whole wall of books. The seller kind of stammered that they needed to give him an offer. The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash" Baller!

It's gonna crash. You know how I know?

Because I'm making money....

So of course it's gonna crash, because I'm doing good.

You could pretty much blame me when it happens.

It won`t crash for a couple of years, so go make some more money.

Think short-term with this, and you should be ok.

(thumbs u

But I want it to be loooong teeeerm.

:sorry:

The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash"

And that right there...is why I consider them the scum of comic buying/selling.

That's horrible. I have never heard of them either, but that statement right there is enough that I hope they never show up here. Assuming they aren't already that is.

The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash"

That's horrible. I have never heard of them either, but that statement right there is enough that I hope they never show up here. Assuming they aren't already that is.

The funny thing is the older guy simply turned around and started selling books to a couple guys that had been waiting. I was kind in shock by the way things had gone down but he handled it all pretty well. When I left the Infinity guys had bought up two walls but the old guys books were still up for grabs and he was selling books like crazy. Stay strong old timer!

Not the first time I've heard said story....here's their website:

http://infinitycomicsllc.com/

I'll get a photo of them when I have the chance and post it. And for the record, they cannot afford a single comic I have.