• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

I did not look over the X Men 1 closely, so your initial assessment is probably accurate. One won't see old out of date prices on the wall books- maybe on some books from the boxes (e.g. a $4 price actually being worth $10 because the dealer did not have time to update the prices on lower valued books)- I've actually found examples of the latter when dealing with this guy over the past 6 years.

From what I've been noticing lately, prices have gone silly on mid-grade movie keys and I'm thinking of taking another break from buying until Marvel changes their star lineup and the bubble bursts. Of course, it would be nice if I could get off my lazy and sell some of my many dupes, but we all know that ain't happening.

But it's absolutely insane what some of this stuff is going for, like $50-$100 for mid-grade 1976-77 Marvel #1's (Ms Marvel, Nova, Spider-woman, etc.)?? Sorry, but I feel like I'm dreaming.

i still don't understand why a brain surgeon's work is taxed at 38% or an experienced teacher around the same rate, but a professional investor or private equity fund manager gets taxed at 15%.

It's expressly designed to get money flowing into capital markets and keep the economy going.

At a tiny comic con this weekend I saw a couple guys buying up a few dealer's walls in one shot. I didn't hear what discount they were asking but these guys didn't seem to care what books were on the walls but took the whole batch. Is the market so good people see a huge profit in pretty much any key no matter how small?

I did talk to one of the guys and they were out of North Carolina which is a 7 hour drive both ways! I've never heard of them but maybe Infinity Comics is a big dealer of books down south. How the heck can the comic market be this strong that someone would drive 14 hours to buy books at a tiny local comic con which only charged $5 to get in. Crazy world we live in.

Andrew, the deal you witnessed does NOT signify the end times.

Or anything like that, if you know who bought the books and read between the lines.....it makes perfect sense.

Good call on your part to strike up a conversation with the guys to gauge and also, starting up this thread. (thumbs u

For starter's, buying a dealer's wall stock at 40% off sticker (if the books are priced at fair market value) is a win-win deal.

Buying 60 books (roughly what can fit on one dealer's wall) that will all sell within say 10 days, of putting up the money,guarantees a very decent return on your investment, without having your money tied up for an inordinate amount of time.You get to buy someone's best book...WITHOUT, having to lump in run books, at a 40%discount.

If a dealer is willing to cut that good of a deal; selling off his wall books in one shot and leave with his table stock intact.....well, chances are also solid that he is not an experienced dealer who knows the market.

That said, his better keys ( GS X-Men 1 and FF 52) are probably in the same state as they were in when he got them; not dry cleaned or pressed....and taking the time to dry clean/press said books would likely get at least a 50% hike in the sale price via eBa BIN, if you just want to quickly maximize profits without waiting on having the better books slabbed.

So, you're doing better than 40% off, right there....if you know how to dry clean and press books and you put the work in.Even if you send the books to CCS before CGC, you're still doing pretty good.

The dealers (infinitycomics) who bought the books sell large mixed lots on eBay so it makes perfect sense they would pay 60% of going prices for books like Ms.Marvel 1, Byrne X-Men with better keys like GS C-Men 1, FF 5 included.

Second tier keys are thrown in to jack up bids, such as the mid grade Ms. Marvel 1 and mid to higher grade Byrne X-Men's, you saw them buy.

As with any dealer who has a lot of books, a lot of their stock will be low dollar items ,call it a median figure of $5 per book in Overstreet, which is time consuming and not cost efficient to sell individually on eBay.

These would be lesser quality silver/bronze/copper books so they will add those second tier wall books into their silver-copper lots of 100 books in order to sweeten the pot and drive the prices on their lots up.Lots of silver thru copper will fetch $1 a book or so in auction, or even less, but add in a few "hot" keys like Ms.Marvel 1 (a mid grade copy) and a few Byrne X-men's and bidders start seeing big dollar value....so the lot sells for a much higher percentage than what it would otherwise sell at, and the dealer gets to unload a lot of books in one shot.......without having to scan a 100 front and back covers, post up a 100 different 1 book lots, wait for them all to sell individually etc etc etc.

They will take the better wall books, like FF 52 and either sell them individually raw at auction, or have them CGC'd and put them out at BIN.

This is a solid approach to moving books en masse, at a decent price.

I am going to employ this approach to burn/liquidate about 75-90% of my convention inventory, after I do a 2 day show at the end of this month outside of New York, where I have 4 tables booked.

There should be a emoticon for burning comic books that you loathe looking at on here but there isn't so this 'lil happy dance guy will hafta do :banana: