• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sparklecity?

50 posts in this topic

I think maybe they got in over their heads with walk through slabbing costs. I noticed for a while they were selling a lot of raw stuff that looked to be at least a half grade lower than what they listed it at. I bought a couple slabbed ones from them but the prices started getting a little stiff. Maybe the name is cursed?

I know that at one point they decided to stop slabbing anything with a market value less than 5K. Worked out well for me, as I got a nice raw Action 53 from them for a good price that came came back from CGC an 8.0.

Were any of the books they were listing their own stock, or were they all consignments? Did anyone here in the GA boards consign with them? What was their commission structure like? I think eBay's fee structure has changed, hasn't it? Maybe their business model wasn't as profitable after eBay fees went up.

I know that at one point they decided to stop slabbing anything with a market value less than 5K. Worked out well for me, as I got a nice raw Action 53 from them for a good price that came came back from CGC an 8.0.

Yeah, I have to say the few raw books I picked up ended up better than expected, which is partly why I miss their regular auctions.

I also miss the market info they provided for raw books.

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

I remember the sheep in the 1980s

SparkleCity always had some of the nicest books back then

Everything was mylared at SparkleCity booth, which was unusual for the time

Dig Sparklecity! Big fan of their customer service.

.... I don't know...... I always got outbid :sorry: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Not the same Sparkle City. NeatStuff bought the name. The SparkleCity of ebay is NeatStuff.

Were any of the books they were listing their own stock, or were they all consignments? Did anyone here in the GA boards consign with them? What was their commission structure like? I think eBay's fee structure has changed, hasn't it? Maybe their business model wasn't as profitable after eBay fees went up.

About a year ago I asked what their consignment fee was, and I was told 20% generally, but for big ticket books the percentage could be brought down. They felt 20% was justified because their auctions tend to fetch high prices.

About a year ago I asked what their consignment fee was, and I was told 20% generally, but for big ticket books the percentage could be brought down. They felt 20% was justified because their auctions tend to fetch high prices.

Did the eBay & PayPal fees come out of the commission, or were those paid by the consignor on top of the commission?

20% + fees seems like an atrocious deal to me. The one time I bought a book in a Sparkle City auction, I put in a high bid because it was a nice book, not because it was a Sparkle City listing. My bid would've been exactly the same with Joe Schmoe selling it.

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Not the same Sparkle City. NeatStuff bought the name. The SparkleCity of ebay is NeatStuff.

I did not know that but makes sense

Vinny of Metropolis had an amazing interview with the Founder of the original SparkleCity a few years back on Comic Zone

It was a fascinating interview but sadly the owner (forget his name) fell on hard times

Such a shame because SparkleCity truly was one of the best dealers of the 80s

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Vinny of Metropolis had an amazing interview with the Founder of the original SparkleCity a few years back on Comic Zone

It was a fascinating interview but sadly the owner (forget his name) fell on hard times

Jay Maybruck. He was the original flipper...... a real buying machine. He would buy up all the choice material before the shows opened and then take them to the next show at double mark up. He was one of the early full timers..... realizing a person could make a living on the show circuit. That Comic Zone interview (several parts) was intense..... his story would actually make a great Indy film. GOD BLESS...

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Jay Maybruck. He was the original flipper...... a real buying machine. He would buy up all the choice material before the shows opened and then take them to the next show at double mark up. He was one of the early full timers..... realizing a person could make a living on the show circuit. That Comic Zone interview (several parts) was intense..... his story would actually make a great Indy film. GOD BLESS...

Yes, thats the name, Jay Maybruck. What a visionary !

I wish I was older in the 1980s, would have loved to have participated in the comic book market at that level as a dealer.

Nowadays, it seems all so different, with CGC and the higher price points, it is much harder I would imagine to generate such high margins.

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Yes, thats the name, Jay Maybruck. What a visionary !

I wish I was older in the 1980s, would have loved to have participated in the comic book market at that level as a dealer.

Nowadays, it seems all so different, with CGC and the higher price points, it is much harder I would imagine to generate such high margins.

..... books really were "undervalued" back then. The guys who really came out were the ones building inventory in the 80's and were ready to go when the 90's hit. Maybruck was at the head of the pack. Fishler worked for him before going on to found Metro. GOD BLESS...