• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packaging for one comic

32 posts in this topic

I've read over the methods for packaging comics for mailing. All the ones I've seen refer to mailing several books. Usually at least 10 comics at a time.

What is the best method if I need to ship only one comic in a package? I haven't done that before and I want to make sure it gets there in the same condition it leaves here in.

Ok. I'm should have known better than to ask. I've figured out what I'll do.

While Harvey is looking for Deathlok, and retro is munching on popcorn, I'll take my DC Comics Presents #26 and fold it up until it fits in a regular letter sized envelope. Then, I'll put four or five stamps on it and shove it in the mailbox.

I'll include a note that says "Sorry, didn't know a better way to ship it...Maybe next time."

:)

Thanks retro. I've read through the shipping stuff in the Noob guide, but all I could find was shipping several comics. I'm trying to find out if there's a difference when you're just shipping one.

bag and board the book and tape to cardboard then sandwich with another piece of cardboard and tape them together. You can put it in a vanilla envelope or box and ship it.

Here's the best way:

1 - Bag & board the comic

2 - wrap the bagged and boarded comic in a sheet of newspaper

3 - Cut 2 pieces of corrugated cardboard about an inch or so larger on each side of the comic

4 - Tape the newspaper wrapped comic onto one of the boards - a piece of tape on each edge

5 - Sandwich the book with the other cardboard and tape the two pieces of cardboard on each edge

6 - If you are feeling lucky - put the cardboard sandwich into a priority envelope and ship.

7 - If it's too expensive to replace or may be paranoid, like me, wrap your book with large bubble bubble-wrap. Don't use the small bubble stuff - it's just a waste of money.

8 - Tape open edges shut of your bubble sandwich and put it into a priority box. Add packing peanuts so that there is no movement of your wares - my advice is to NOT use flat rate - have the box weighed and it will be cheaper.

9 - For expensive books and any slabs you should double box.

hope that helps.

I use the cardboard method - just allow a 1" border around the comic. I sometimes use top loaders for pricier books; buyers always leave great feedback when I do this. Just make sure your comic isn't too loose in the top loader; bag & board 1st helps.

bag and board the comic and sandwich between 3-4 pieces of cardboard, tape it up and stick in envelope

i have never had a problem with 1 or 2 comics, but on a shipment of 7 or 8 or so my tape got detached and the corner of a book got dinged after it slid around. since then i have actually often been taping the sandwich and saran wrapping the whole bundle. nothing will slide around when you have saran wrapped it.

i have boxed expensive stuff to be safe or done the sandwich with masonite boards if i happen to have it handy

mind you, you still need to sandwich even in a box and you need enough packing material so that the sandwich does not flop around. i had some insufficiently_thoughtful_person once put 2 copies of avengers 100 in a comic back and then just stick it in a priority box with no packing inside. needless to say the comics bounced around in the box and the covers were detached by the time i got them.

All good advice but I tend to differ depending on the condition and value of the book.

1. If it's condition is FN/VF or less condition and $20 or less in value, I follow Jazzman and Hekla's advice steps 1-6 but use a bubble mailer First Class package which is even cheaper than media mail.

2. If it's condition is VF- or better OR if its value is above something you'd be willing to eat in a return due to damage:

a. use one of the comic mailer boxes with the comic taped down inside and well padded with bubble wrap or padding to prevent shift.

OR

b. follow Jazzman/Hekla's advice up to step 6 but instead use 4 pieces of thick double ply corrugated cardboard with the corrugated lines alternating (horizonal and vertical) for each piece. Then put that into a priority mail Legal envelope (which includes insurance up to $50) with extra padding in the envelope. You could also fit suggestion 2a. in a Priority legal envelope.

You could also use a box with media mail but that has its risks. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if you could mitigate risk of rejection by sealing the comic inside an envelope and then sandwiching that envelope between something that could be classified as media such as a 100 page technical/medical document/journal. Probably not worth the risk.

All good advice but I tend to differ depending on the condition and value of the book.

1. If it's condition is FN/VF or less condition and $20 or less in value, I follow Jazzman and Hekla's advice steps 1-6 but use a bubble mailer First Class package which is even cheaper than media mail.

2. If it's condition is VF- or better OR if its value is above something you'd be willing to eat in a return due to damage:

a. use one of the comic mailer boxes with the comic taped down inside and well padded with bubble wrap or padding to prevent shift.

OR

b. follow Jazzman/Hekla's advice up to step 6 but instead use 4 pieces of thick double ply corrugated cardboard with the corrugated lines alternating (horizonal and vertical) for each piece. Then put that into a priority mail Legal envelope (which includes insurance up to $50) with extra padding in the envelope. You could also fit suggestion 2a. in a Priority legal envelope.

You could also use a box with media mail but that has its risks. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if you could mitigate risk of rejection by sealing the comic inside an envelope and then sandwiching that envelope between something that could be classified as media such as a 100 page technical/medical document/journal. Probably not worth the risk.

My advice is don't go by condition when you make the determination which method is right for you - ask yourself, "how much aggravation am I going to have if I don't do a good enough job or if a neanderthal manages my shipment and am I prepared to make it right." If your answers contain the following key phrases - "I don't have time for any shenanigans", "the post office is my mortal enemy", "all my customers are going to try and take advantage of any situation", "I can't handle talking to people about bad news", "I've already spent all the money I received from that sale", then go the sure fire method and overdo your shipping, no matter what grade.

condition is less of a factor than value in how much steel reinforcement is required, but yeah, if something was sold for $15 as a potential 9.8 I will put more into the protection than a $15 beater, an extra piece of cardboard or whatever.

priority mail flat rate envelope, $5.05 online, and then a bunch of cardboard. I mean a bunch, 4 or 5 pieces at least. At that point who cares, it is a flat rate.

And people please stop putting tape of the spine side. It leads to spine ticks so easily. I cannot understand how an OA guy like me who only dabbles in comics can see this so clearly and yet book after book is sent to me taped strongly down the spine.

Here's the best way:

1 - Bag & board the comic

2 - wrap the bagged and boarded comic in a sheet of newspaper

3 - Cut 2 pieces of corrugated cardboard about an inch or so larger on each side of the comic

4 - Tape the newspaper wrapped comic onto one of the boards - a piece of tape on each edge

5 - Sandwich the book with the other cardboard and tape the two pieces of cardboard on each edge

6 - If you are feeling lucky - put the cardboard sandwich into a priority envelope and ship.

7 - If it's too expensive to replace or may be paranoid, like me, wrap your book with large bubble bubble-wrap. Don't use the small bubble stuff - it's just a waste of money.

8 - Tape open edges shut of your bubble sandwich and put it into a priority box. Add packing peanuts so that there is no movement of your wares - my advice is to NOT use flat rate - have the box weighed and it will be cheaper.

9 - For expensive books and any slabs you should double box.

hope that helps.

I usually use two pieces of cardboard, that are glued together for strength, on each side and put that in a gallon size twist tie bag, to help protect from water, and put that in an envelope that I have used packaging tape to tape all edges of envelope and down the middle, to keep the envelope from getting ripped in transit. I also glue and tape down the label to keep from water or mail deliverer damage.

OR

My advice is don't go by condition when you make the determination which method is right for you - ask yourself, "how much aggravation am I going to have if I don't do a good enough job or if a neanderthal manages my shipment and am I prepared to make it right." If your answers contain the following key phrases - "I don't have time for any shenanigans", "the post office is my mortal enemy", "all my customers are going to try and take advantage of any situation", "I can't handle talking to people about bad news", "I've already spent all the money I received from

that sale", then go the sure fire method and overdo your shipping, no matter what grade.

Yes I agree if you pack your VG comics like they are NM the buyer will come back. If you ship a VG book like its a VG book then it gives the buyer the thought that you dont care about how your ship your comics regardless of the fact that its a VG.

Get used to packing all your comics the same way. Guy buys a VG book or NM book from me it gets packed the same way. Both will get there safely and neither buyer feels neglected and both will return.

Many never understand its about developing relationships with other sellers and buyers. Ive been doing this a long time and still get PMs and referels from other sellers/buyers because I treated them well. I do the same for sellers I have bought from.