• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of ethics

55 posts in this topic

I understand both points of view. Either way though, if someone gives you something for free at least have the decency to not sell it on the very boards they gave it to you on.

I guess if you received something as a gift,you can do what you want with it. However you should certainly use a little tact and not sell it on the very boards you received the gift.

The original question seemed to be about ethics...

Which to me is different than good form or tact. Showing up the pitcher in baseball after hitting a homer isn't unethical

Business....Ethics.

Billy Madison.

Ethics are extremely poor amongst the comic and general collecting communities. Pretty disappointing.

And the majority of it centers around money.

Patrick

I guess if you received something as a gift,you can do what you want with it. However you should certainly use a little tact and not sell it on the very boards you received the gift.

I had this very thing happen to me after the Holiday Gift Exchange. I think it was less than 2 weeks after the gift was received that the book was sold here on the boards.

I don't really have a problem with it per se, but I'd hope a different venue would be used.

I had this very thing happen to me after the Holiday Gift Exchange. I think it was less than 2 weeks after the gift was received that the book was sold here on the boards.

I don't really have a problem with it per se, but I'd hope a different venue would be used.

I still have every holiday gift from boardies,and I couldn't imagine selling any of them.

I still have every holiday gift from boardies,and I couldn't imagine selling any of them.

Correction: it was actually from the Holiday Raffle. I should have specified that.

Correction: it was actually from the Holiday Raffle. I should have specified that.

Same thing.

I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on a topic. I have no problem with someone selling stuff received in the PIF thread, not necessarily what I would do but to each there own. I do have a problem with someone selling stuff they received in a RAK.

Maybe its just me and I think it is in poor taste to take a RAK and sell it rather than regift it at the time you no longer want it.

What are your thoughts?

To each their own. If you gift goods to someone you can't expect to maintain control over them.

That being said I did receive a very generous gift here on the boards and I won't ever sell it. If it leaves my possession it will be gifted to another.

+1 Except for charity sales threads, then it's ok to sell it on the boards without being in poor form, IMO.

I'd say it depends on a couple of things…

What was given/taken? Was it something the person asked for? Raffles usually end up being a "you get what is left" option in which it would make sense to sell some of those off to get some kind of value outta them.

How long has it been? A week later is different compared to months or years later.

For example, Oceanavkid took some Infinity Gauntlets in the PIF and sold them on eBay within a week. He asked for those books and then sold them. Especially after trying to give everyone a half-assed excuse when he was called out on it.

For myself, I claimed a PIF and the person sent some other books I didn't ask for with the books I did ask for. I then tried to sell those other books a few weeks later and he got all upset by it. I ended up giving the books away for free but still…if you're going to dump drek on a person that they didn't ask for, you are no longer in any position to have a say what they do with it.

I have also sold books I claimed in PIF before when I was broke and needed money. Most of these books were a few dollars but they helped with paying a bill. These have all been months since I claimed them, not like I turned around and immediately sold them.

I've never sold any RAKs I have claimed and I only claim things that I actually want for my collection.

Guys if I ever take or get anything it goes in my collection, you don't ever have to worry about me. I came in second in the grading contest and picked the Shazam number 1 from Tim that was one I needed for my collection and that is where it will stay. As my son would say I'm adding to my hoard lol

I'd say it depends on a couple of things…

What was given/taken? Was it something the person asked for? Raffles usually end up being a "you get what is left" option in which it would make sense to sell some of those off to get some kind of value outta them.

How long has it been? A week later is different compared to months or years later.

For example, Oceanavkid took some Infinity Gauntlets in the PIF and sold them on eBay within a week. He asked for those books and then sold them. Especially after trying to give everyone a half-assed excuse when he was called out on it.

For myself, I claimed a PIF and the person sent some other books I didn't ask for with the books I did ask for. I then tried to sell those other books a few weeks later and he got all upset by it. I ended up giving the books away for free but still…if you're going to dump drek on a person that they didn't ask for, you are no longer in any position to have a say what they do with it.

I have also sold books I claimed in PIF before when I was broke and needed money. Most of these books were a few dollars but they helped with paying a bill. These have all been months since I claimed them, not like I turned around and immediately sold them.

I've never sold any RAKs I have claimed and I only claim things that I actually want for my collection.

hm

I do have a problem with someone selling stuff they received in a RAK.
I agree … this is wrong and bad. There should be a new stronger word for this like badwrong or badong. Yes this is badong and from this moment I will stand for the opposite of this which is gnodab

Kung Pao is possibly the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen...in the best possible way.