• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90's trading cards

22 posts in this topic

So I was going through some of my Dad's things today, and the man kept everything.

And just like many others he was snared by the 'collectors edition' well, collectibles. Not just the overprinted sports cards of the day, but comic themed cards too. Here are two that made me smile so I thought I'd share.

X-Men series 1:

large.jpg

I totally remember series 2, and after a quick Google image search, I don't remember these cards at all.

Warriors of Plasm: Zero issue trading cards!!

large.jpg

Collect them all, read issue zero. Now that's 90's nonsense goodness :cloud9:

lol

I have a bunch of these...X-Men series 1 and 2, Marvel Universe 4 and 5, random Marvel Masterpieces. I miss collecting these. I wish they would make them again, I'd start collecting them again.

Let's not forget those 3D cards that are around 6-12 of them in a set. I used to have complete collections of Marvel Universe, Masterpieces, Metal, etc. in albums displayed nicely when I was younger. Miss those days.

Ah - memories! I think I ended up throwing all mine in the trash six or seven years ago or so. I remember having the Warriors of Plasm - 90s at its best/worst!

They actually do still make these:

Comic Cards on Blowout

except now it is more like flushing money down the toilet if you even think about a complete set just look at all the chase cards:

90-card base set featuring the greatest heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe

90-card "Sapphire" parallel base set (1:3 packs)

90-card "Emerald" parallel base set, individually numbered to 100 (1 per box)

90-card "Diamond" parallel base set, individually numbered to 10 (1 per case)

25 cards (part one) of our 75-card, year-long MARVEL 75TH ANNIVERSARY celebration! These initial 25 cards, each numbered to 75, will be inserted at the rate of 2 per case (1:144 packs)!

9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" THOR expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);

- Red parallel bonus expansion set (1:144 packs);

- Gold parallel bonus expansion set, individually numbered to 75 (approx. 1 per case)

9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" CAPTAIN AMERICA expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);

- Gold parallel bonus expansion set, individually numbered to 75 (approx. 1 per case)

9-card, 2011 Marvel Universe "Artist Draft" bonus expansion set (1:12 packs)

9-card "Marvel Heroes and Villains" expansion bonus set (1:48 packs)

6-card "Shadowbox" bonus set, featuring Wolverine, Black Cat, Spider-Man, Thing, Daredevil and Storm (1:48 packs)

5-card "Avengers Origins" bonus set (1:48 packs);

- Gold parallel bonus set, individually numbered to 100 (approx. every 2 cases)

PLASM LOVE

th_20150702_111149_zpswuumxzht.jpg

Loved them!

Were the original Marvel Series 1 cards from 1990? My best friend & I were 12 and would take our allowance money and ride our bikes down to the 7-11 that summer for Slushees and packs of them (I think they were like $.89 each).

Fast forward a few years and Marvel Masterpieces were amazing -- I also brokered a 3-way trade with another friend for some ridiculous Wolverine hologram that netted me a half dozen VF/NM Silver Age Daredevil comics.

I still have a few unopened boxes of Valiant cards at my parents house. Those were cool references for those of us who couldn't afford the pre-Unity issues.

I loved these cards. :cloud9: Especially the first two series of Marvel cards. I pulled them out from my attic not too long ago to look at them and there was a page dedicated to Daredevil from when I was a kid. :grin:

I'll get some pics of my binders later.

I was JUST thinking about penny candy the other day! Remember how awesome it was?! $.01 candy! Shelves filled with all different types. They had the wafer UFO's for a nickel or a dime. :cloud9:

You'd go there with a couple of bucks and leave with a little brown paper bag filled with candy. It's sad that it doesn't really exist anymore. :sorry:

I was JUST thinking about penny candy the other day! Remember how awesome it was?! $.01 candy! Shelves filled with all different types. They had the wafer UFO's for a nickel or a dime. :cloud9:

You'd go there with a couple of bucks and leave with a little brown paper bag filled with candy. It's sad that it doesn't really exist anymore. :sorry:

Ah, the good old days...

They actually do still make these:

Comic Cards on Blowout

except now it is more like flushing money down the toilet if you even think about a complete set just look at all the chase cards:

90-card base set featuring the greatest heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe

90-card "Sapphire" parallel base set (1:3 packs)

90-card "Emerald" parallel base set, individually numbered to 100 (1 per box)

90-card "Diamond" parallel base set, individually numbered to 10 (1 per case)

25 cards (part one) of our 75-card, year-long MARVEL 75TH ANNIVERSARY celebration! These initial 25 cards, each numbered to 75, will be inserted at the rate of 2 per case (1:144 packs)!

9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" THOR expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);

9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" CAPTAIN AMERICA expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);

9-card, 2011 Marvel Universe "Artist Draft" bonus expansion set (1:12 packs)

9-card "Marvel Heroes and Villains" expansion bonus set (1:48 packs)

6-card "Shadowbox" bonus set, featuring Wolverine, Black Cat, Spider-Man, Thing, Daredevil and Storm (1:48 packs)

5-card "Avengers Origins" bonus set (1:48 packs);

- Gold parallel bonus set, individually numbered to 100 (approx. every 2 cases)

PLASM LOVE

th_20150702_111149_zpswuumxzht.jpg

True. Unfortunately it seems like all trading cards are that way now. Big $$$ for a box that contains one or two sketch cards/autographs/memorabilia cards. Seems like the base set is just filler anymore. :(