• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone use Ebay to value an item by....

27 posts in this topic

I am thinking of putting an item up on eBay for a large amount of money with the best offer option to get a better value of the item in the open market.(although skewed due to the nature of the

"sale"). My fear is someone out there with more money than sense would buy it or think my price is okay and buy it. Its more of a situation I don't want to sell and have no plans on ever selling the piece, but am curious as to what the market feels the value is. I know people do this on eBay. Has anyone on here done it or thought about it?

That's just it I have an piece of art that is a grail piece to some and I have had one large offer on it and guesses by other's, but you truly do not know what an item is worth until you offer it for sale. So if you price over twice what the last offer was I figured that would allow for offers to come in and get an idea of the market value.

I don't know much about it, but what if you just put it up for regular bid, but put an insanely high reserve on it?

Then it cost money and I am cheap lol

Sounds like you're trying to take advantage of a service without any risk associated or any chance for the provider of that service to make money, even though that is their business.

Obviously its in their best interests to try to keep that from happening.

Sounds like you're trying to take advantage of a service without any risk associated or any chance for the provider of that service to make money, even though that is their business.

Actually I am sure the item would generate plenty of views and in a sense help promote their site; in this case eBay, as it is of a popular subject matter.

What I see is a lot of people fishing for suckers with BIN that are way over priced. When someone comes on with an auction, we see what the item is worth. HOWEVER, I also see people put buy it nows at ridiculous prices on for month after month after month and I have seen the item eventually selling. I have also seen people put up high priced BIN which don't sell at the end of the month, and been brought back at higher prices when they don't sell. And, yes, I do judge prices by eBay.

If its an ultra high end thing, ebay wont realize as high a price as a good auction house imo.

But if you are really determined to list it to see some offers, I dont see how you are worried about putting it on ebay. If it actually sells and you arent wanting to sell it for that price, just dont honor it and take the hit on your ebay reputation and return their money.

Actually I am sure the item would generate plenty of views and in a sense help promote their site; in this case eBay, as it is of a popular subject matter.

From what I understand, the NM Action Comics #1 was a special deal where the owner didn't have to pay fees (or a greatly reduced fee) and Ebay got to use it for promotion and advertised it as such. But it was worked out in advance of him listing it.

But if they don't know about it, or take advantage of your special item promotion, how are they to benefit from it???

It would be like me driving my 68 Chevelle down to the used car lot and parking it amongst the owners other cars, but the sale sign has my phone number. "The lot owner should thank me. I'm sure it will generate interest in the lot owners other stuff. Like his MR2, or that 94 ford LTD." Uh...no it won't. Not only that but he'd be within his rights to have it removed (towed away).

How often do auction houses get people that say "Hey, I'd like to see how much this item goes for. Can you auction it off and see how high it goes, but don't actually sell it. When the hammer falls, tell the high bidder that he didn't meet the minimum and just hand it back to me after the auction is over." :boo:

-Terry

From what I understand, the NM Action Comics #1 was a special deal where the owner didn't have to pay fees (or a greatly reduced fee) and Ebay got to use it for promotion and advertised it as such. But it was worked out in advance of him listing it.

But if they don't know about it, or take advantage of your special item promotion, how are they to benefit from it???

It would be like me driving my 68 Chevelle down to the used car lot and parking it amongst the owners other cars, but the sale sign has my phone number. "The lot owner should thank me. I'm sure it will generate interest in the lot owners other stuff. Like his MR2, or that 94 ford LTD." Uh...no it won't. Not only that but he'd be within his rights to have it removed (towed away).

How often do auction houses get people that say "Hey, I'd like to see how much this item goes for. Can you auction it off and see how high it goes, but don't actually sell it. When the hammer falls, tell the high bidder that he didn't meet the minimum and just hand it back to me after the auction is over." :boo:

-Terry

I get what you are saying. and if it did sell at the price on ebay I would sell it of course. This was just a thought more or less. I am not talking Action 1 money. I am talking about having had an offer in the 40k range and listing it in the 100k range . The problem with that is more and more art from key pieces are selling higher and higher and while 100k seems like a lot it and crazy to me may not be after all.

-Terry

I get what you are saying. and if it did sell at the price on ebay I would sell it of course. This was just a thought more or less. I am not talking Action 1 money. I am talking about having had an offer in the 40k range and listing it in the 100k range . The problem with that is more and more art from key pieces are selling higher and higher and while 100k seems like a lot it and crazy to me may not be after all.

You could always trade it to me for a huge stack of very nice Horror mags?

The cover painting to Marvel Preview 4 featuring the 1st Starlord. Its tough as I have seen art go for twice what I thought it would from this series and out do auction estimates. For all I know the offer I received in the past was crazy at the time. I figured it would give me a guide as to the value of my other two paintings from this series and a good indication of insurance value and value for my family when I am six feet under.

If you don't want to sell it who cares what it's worth (unless you're looking for insurance). If you do want to sell it just list it at whatever you would sell it at.

EDIT: And you answered the question already. Insurance. Can't you just call the insurance company and tell them what you want to insure it for and see if they would go for that? More money for them the higher you value it at.