• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dismembering key books

12 posts in this topic

A few years ago when single page or wraps started to appear in the market place they were either Action 1 or Tec 27. Now people are dismantling Captain America 1 and AF15 and probably others that I haven't run into.

I don't like where this is going. Comics will lose their covers and they will lose centerfolds. They will get ripped, bent, stained, wet, and kids will write on them. That's the nature of a comic in the wild. But this is starting to look like those antique dealers who started clipping out advertisement from old Life and Time magazines and are selling them for $5 an ad but destroyed the original magazine in the process.

Well its officially sanctioned by CGC.

They will encapsulate covers and single sheets so encouraging the practice.

It's clear to me that CGC is a business and must evolve to offer new services, as we've seen. But it's not the keeper of the hobby nor is it the comics police.

Well its officially sanctioned by CGC.

They will encapsulate covers and single sheets so encouraging the practice.

It's clear to me that CGC is a business and must evolve to offer new services, as we've seen. But it's not the keeper of the hobby nor is it the comics police.

Hmmmm, comics police...

Comics Grading Cop.

I'm in.

A few years ago when single page or wraps started to appear in the market place they were either Action 1 or Tec 27. Now people are dismantling Captain America 1 and AF15 and probably others that I haven't run into.

I don't like where this is going. Comics will lose their covers and they will lose centerfolds. They will get ripped, bent, stained, wet, and kids will write on them. That's the nature of a comic in the wild. But this is starting to look like those antique dealers who started clipping out advertisement from old Life and Time magazines and are selling them for $5 an ad but destroyed the original magazine in the process.

it's funny, i walked into a poster gallery that was selling new yorker covers from the 40s and 50s for $20 a pop. basically cut out and stuck in a magazine size bag, maybe a backing board. no matting or anything, that would be extra. i happen to have about 400 or 500 New Yorkers from that era sitting in boxes at home and asked what he'd be willing to pay for them given that he could use the covers and try to sell any other interesting advertising pages in them.

he offered me a whopping 50 cents each! now i know that was a lowball offer as a friend of mine got $2 a pop from a flea market seller 15 years ago for the same sort of hoard. i told him that's not worth me schlepping them into manhattan and he graciously offered to come to my home.

well, that was that and there they continue to sit!

as for the encapsulated covers and pages, are we sure books are being dismantled rather than these just being spare parts already? you have two incomplete captain america 6ses, you merge them and you have 5 wraps left over. if you can actually sell them, why not slab each individually? otherwise you have 5 wraps floating around waiting to get damaged.

as for the extra cover (if you have one in the above scenario), my guess if that someone buys that in a slab certified they are using it to put on a coverless copy.

I posted in another thread

I just won an auction for a single page from SUperman 1 CGCd. I plan on displaying it in my office.

Over the last few weeks Blissard sold every non add page from Supes 1 CGCd. They came from a bound book. and were all trimmed and had stitching holes.

I was happy to get the page for under 70, but it only had a few Clark sightings. The ones that had SUperman went for at least double, and a few for significantly more with a good action shot.

Over the last few weeks Blissard sold every non add page from Supes 1 CGCd. They came from a bound book. and were all trimmed and had stitching holes.

Coverless is about as low as you can go, the stitching holes are a non-factor at that point. With a replica cover attached, it could still be the gem in someone's collection. Not anymore...

I think this probably fine if the book is in extreme rough shape and is already missing pieces, but I would hate to see an intact book, even a cover less one, segmented out.

It's worst in the baseball card community where vintage uniforms of hall of fame players are cut up into swatches embedded into collectible cards. Although I don't mind this with active players, it just breaks my heart to see a uni worn by Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, etc. cut to tiny pieces just to make a buck.

it's funny, i walked into a poster gallery that was selling new yorker covers from the 40s and 50s for $20 a pop. basically cut out and stuck in a magazine size bag, maybe a backing board. no matting or anything, that would be extra. i happen to have about 400 or 500 New Yorkers from that era sitting in boxes at home and asked what he'd be willing to pay for them given that he could use the covers and try to sell any other interesting advertising pages in them.

he offered me a whopping 50 cents each! now i know that was a lowball offer as a friend of mine got $2 a pop from a flea market seller 15 years ago for the same sort of hoard. i told him that's not worth me schlepping them into manhattan and he graciously offered to come to my home.

well, that was that and there they continue to sit!

If you put them up on amazon, priced decent enough that you get what you need out of them (remember that you will have to pay amazon about 3-4 dollars a book)--- you do this once and they sit out there waiting for someone looking for the magazine. I dd this with my old Rolling Stone, SI, and some others -- I make several sales every month --nothing incredible but it adds up and eventually-- you have nothing left.

Just make it worth your while. I started out pricing my Rolling Stones aggressively (ended up losing 12 cents my first sale). Then I woke up and started pricing them with enough cushion to pay for extra shipping charges amazon doesn't always account for-- as well as my time to pack and send the stuff.

It's worth a shot. Not sure how well it will work-- mostly I sell the Rolling Stone, Playboy and Sports Illustrated that way. Not making a killing but I am consistently lessening how much is in the hoard. BEST PART-- it is free to list and your listing stays up as long as you need want it to be-- Also-- you can turn it off /set it to vacation mode.

No need to scan the stuff-- a simple camera phone picture is all you need-- and the patience to find previous people who listed the item so you don't have to create it from scratch. In fact-- I would check there first to see if any of your known issues are being offered on Amazon.

just a suggestion-- beats sitting on them and doing nothing at all.