• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredile "Banner" Weekend on Pedigree Comics.

26 posts in this topic

Bob,

You're right of course. I was always a completist and since I had bought most of the early Winnipeg stuff (even with the names on the covers) I was in the right place and couldn't pass up getting all the remaining Bronze and Modern stuff (9 long boxes for $3,000). He had done that before with a collection he picked up from Bloomfield, Connecticut (price, grade + sell all the early stuff and blow out the leftover Bronze to me).

So, you are 100% correct Bob. Good thinking, young man.

Doug

Oh please, the Winnipeg Bronze collection was sold to Doug because Dan was too lazy to grade and sell them all. He had bought another collection at the same time as the Winnipegs. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time to buy the whole run. Doug made a smart choice but it's not likely that Dealers will dump a bronze age collection into his lap again.

That was exactly what I said. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My point, by mentioning it was Pre-CGC was simply that IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN AGAIN. Dealers and most collectors realize that even a fairly common book can command a high price if it's extremely high grade.

It still kills me when I see Reprint Monster BA books sell for hundreds of dollars just because they are in 9.8. tonofbricks.gif

It still kills me when I see Reprint Monster BA books sell for hundreds of dollars just because they are in 9.8. tonofbricks.gif

Actually ultra HG reprint Monster BA books are hard to come by so seeing slabbed 9.8s go for hundreds is really no surprise to those who collect them...

Jim

Actually ultra HG reprint Monster BA books are hard to come by so seeing slabbed 9.8s go for hundreds is really no surprise to those who collect them...

I don't disagree that they are hard to come by.

My issue is that they are worth no more than $5-10 in NM-, and pretty much get overlooked and passed up. Yet, because it's in a 9.8 slab it is NOW an IN DEMAND book (and is supposedly worth 50 times the NM- price).

That's the CGC Label effect, that I'm not that thrilled about.

No problem with collectors wanting HG books (that's what I collect), but the book should have demand for what it is, NOT just because it's been kept in PERFECT Shape.

You actually don't see this on GA boks that have little demand. Regardless of condition, there just isn't much increased demand. And I believe overtime that will happen to SA / BA books that are only in demand because of the label.