• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars anyone?

11 posts in this topic

This is by far my best comic book purchase to date..

Just in the last month I've been able to buy over 800 comics for under $300! My best purchase...? 1977 Star Wars Comics. All first prints (#1 is a 30 cent cover), #1-#100 (missing the last 7 issues!!), for $1.605 a comic!!!!! Plus I got the RotJ mini-series, all 3 annuals, 2 Marvel Movie Showcases, a Marvel Illustrated Book of RotJ, a Marvel Special Edition of RotJ, plenty of Duplicates, 7 reprints of the first 5 issues, RotJ Trading Cards (near complete), and 1977 Topps Star Wars Trading Cards feat. all 5 series (not near complete)! Add this to Whitman Edition still in an unopened bag and a couple separate issues I had previously, and I have a pretty damn good Star Wars collection. Now...if I could just get my hands on the last 7 issues and a Treasury Edition or two.........

16743.jpg

See more journals by Ncisi0n

This turned out longer than I thought... :)

I work at a local gas station and I sell a cup of coffee to an older gentleman/collector every morning. He collects war medals, stamps, coins, knives, guns, etc. He always knew I was a comic freak but he didn't have an interest in looking around for me. I went by his shop, browsed his tables, bought a thing here and there and we became pretty good friends. Occasionally, he would bring down a sheet of stamps or a handful of coins to the store and just give them to me. Then one day he says, "you are into comics, right?" I told him yeah, I've been looking for some deals as a I haven't caught a break recently. Later that day, he called the store and said, "I have something you may want, come down to my shop after work." This wasn't for the Star Wars comics, but about 290 Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age comics. Turok #2, Disney's Comics and Stories, Lassie, Roy Rogers, Red Ryder, She-Hulk, Wolverine, etc., etc. Plus he had a few Treasury Editions. "How much?", I asked. He said he paid $40 for the lot and he just wanted his money back. I ran to the ATM, pulled out $100 and handed it to him. He tried handing me back $60, and I told him, "you keep finding me deals like this and I'll keep giving you money."

Shortly after, it was another comic load of Modern Age comics, but he didn't want anything for them. Said he owed me from the last time, so I bought him a pack of smokes and we called it even. Before I knew it my living room was full of comics (my girlfriend wants to get a bigger place so I can have my own storage/stage room). But then he called me up just the other day and told me again, "I have something you may want." So I went down to check it out. When I got there he told me to pull up a chair, I did, but I didn't sit in it. As soon as I saw the comics I was on my knees digging through the lot. Checking editions, looking for reprints, doing a mental grade and running numbers in my head. But he had a separate box with it. It included an X-MEN #3 in VF+ condition, Ripley's, Richie Rich, The Tales of the Unexpected, etc. Now the X-MEN I was really excited about because I knew that was a big money maker. But he pointed out he had already looked that one up and wanted to keep it for himself... :( But, two FULL boxes of goodies and I wanted to know his demands. So I asked him flat out, "what did you pay for it all?" He said, "I paid $90..." OMFG!

I asked him right away, "would you be offended if I were to offer you double that?" He said, "not at all." I asked him where he found them and how he got them so cheap. He told me, he met a guy during a yard sale, tried to get him to pull out any guns, knives, coins, and running through his normal list finally ended on comics. "Well, now that I do have." Underneath his bed, they hadn't seen the light of day for over 25 years. He paid $40 for one box (the Star Wars box), and $50 for the other. Made my year..

I'm thankful to have been so lucky and I am also pleased you all enjoy my story. I myself have been reading through many posts since my arrival at this forum. A lot of great stories and I feel a lot of my extra time may be joining the conversations. Thank you for a great welcome and I look forward to hearing your stories and gaining an overall knowledge of the comic book realm. :)

So I know I could post this in the "hey buddy, could you spare a grade?" forum, but I found this more suitable.. This is my copy of Star Wars #1 (30 cent variant) and I wanted to know what you all felt about the grading. You can clearly see some spine wear, corner creases, and dirt on the back. But my personal grading skills are still in training..so before I embarrass myself with a guess, I'd like to hear what you all have to say. So, what number would you give this book that I paid a whole $1.60 for? (The inside has slightly off-white pages and the colors are super bright, not tears, no creases, fully intact.)

2mnke15.jpg

15qyjya.jpg

So I had to end up buying the final issue off of eBay.. But I also bought a Star Wars #1 Volume 2 Bob McLeod Variant signed by John Cassaday and graded a 9.6, so I think with the upcoming Comic Con I will bring the entire lot and have it listed...we'll just have to see if there are any takers. I think this is a pretty amazing package deal. But if you were wanting to buy this, what would be your max price? I know that I've posted the price I paid for them on here. But if you didn't know...what would you be willing to pay? I now have a full set (upon arrival of the final issue), plus the bonus books, and I was thinking about throwing the cards in there as well...

I would say all the comics are at a 6.5 or higher. Some definitely at NM. Anyway, any advice or pointers on pricing would be a great help. Thanks everyone!