• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where is the Charlton love???

35 posts in this topic

He did! It was one of the first jobs he got in Conneticut after he moved here from Italy.. I think he must have been somewhere between age 12-14 at the time.

He told me last Christmas that if he had any idea that the comics would have been worth anything that he would have kept some. He mentioned that they were allowed to take as many as they wanted. But, like I said... He didn't keep any of them for very long.

I remember getting one, a war comic, as a birthday party favour, when I was child of perhaps seven. The colours were misaligned, the story was non existent and the artist couldn't draw much better than I, though I earned only a "C" in art back there in grade two. Yet, the comic cost 12c, the same as a Superman. I concluded that they were for the mentally handicapped.

I remember getting one, a war comic, as a birthday party favour, when I was child of perhaps seven. The colours were misaligned, the story was non existent and the artist couldn't draw much better than I, though I earned only a "C" in art back there in grade two. Yet, the comic cost 12c, the same as a Superman. I concluded that they were for the mentally handicapped.

That pretty well sums up Charlton in a nutshell, and other than the Byrne issues, I will never own a Charlton comic.

But at least a board member's story cleared up one question I've always had about the absolutely horrible production quality of these books - they had KIDS running the presses.

That pretty well sums up Charlton in a nutshell, and other than the Byrne issues, I will never own a Charlton comic.

But at least a board member's story cleared up one question I've always had about the absolutely horrible production quality of these books - they had KIDS running the presses.

Let's be fair, his father and the other Charlton employees didn't exactly have decent tools to work with, printing and cutting comic books using a second-hand cereal box press.

Lots of nice, Steve Ditko art, some Neal Adams in the 70s, and early Byrne, Aparo, Zeck, Staton, Giordano.

Exactly. Charlton was the minor leagues for comic book talent at a time when self publishing tools were not widespread.

New Charlton thread coming when i get home from work tonight. This is already more interesting than i had hoped.

Captain_Atom_Vol_1_85.jpg

At this year's London con I picked up the Action Heroes Vol. 1 Archive, which contains most of the Ditko Captain Atom issues. Nice book.