• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SURF'S-UP!!!!: A WONDERCON (SOME-WHAT) REPORT

76 posts in this topic

Good question. We talked about it at the Con, but didn't see any. (I did see a White Page Bats 232 9.8), but the seller wasn't really selling. He was also asking 1K for a 9.4 Witching Hour 1. crazy.gif

Did you go to the forum dinner last night? I got a late night voicemail from a suspectedly drunken FFB at the dinner with the gang shouting out in the background. All I could make out was someone yelling "Pre-Hero Marvels Rule!"....

They must have been going through Scott's phone book, as I got a similar call. Bastiches woke me up! 893censored-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Alan

yay.gif

Did you go to the forum dinner last night? I got a late night voicemail from a suspectedly drunken FFB at the dinner with the gang shouting out in the background. All I could make out was someone yelling "Pre-Hero Marvels Rule!"....

They must have been going through Scott's phone book, as I got a similar call. Bastiches woke me up! 893censored-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Alan

yay.gif

gossip.gif I turn my cell phone off at night

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Alan

yay.gif

mad.gif

Revenge is a dish best served cold, Bono. ooo.gif

target.gif

Alan

yay.gif

mad.gif

target.gif

Call me anytime, Alan! As soon as the haze of my 3:00 a.m. delirium clears, I'll just start asking you about Salidas. headbang.gif

Rhino-Ze: I picked up GR copies of Thor #142,143,144 from Shin (and for the thousandth time, thank you Shin!) and The JIM from Harley was #119 and the Oakland copy was #161 and the Northland copy was #177. Tomorrow Metro gets mailed a nice check for five more various pedigree Thor copies.

I suppose at this point I should take the opportunity to ask board members if they have a CGC recognized silver age Thor pedigree copy, slabbed or raw(with certificate/provenance), that they are willing to part with, PM me and perhaps we can arrange a transaction.

Hmmm...Bob sold you the #148...okay, now I need to find an alternate pedigree for that issue. That's the great thing about Thor's...they appear to be part of every silver pedigree with the exception of the Curator (if anyone has Curator info to the contrary on this please PM me)

Alan

yay.gif

I hadn't done anything like that since my bachelor party 27_laughing.gif Herradura (repeat) Herradura insane.gif

Alan

yay.gif

mad.gif

target.gif

Call me anytime, Alan! As soon as the haze of my 3:00 a.m. delirium clears, I'll just start asking you about Salidas. headbang.gif

tongue.gif

So were Rhino and me the only ones you guys drunk dialed? yay.gif

MY 2005 WONDERCON REPORT crazy.gif

Gonna be a little long as I was there all three days and was on the floor pretty much start to end for that strentch.

FRIDAY: Hit the show floor at 9:30ish which gave me approx. 2 1/2 hour on most of the competition. Have to throw the first big thanks out to Shin (sckao) for the Exhibitor Pass which got me in early and for letting me stow what turned out to be quite the haul of comics there over the 3 days of the show. Shin and his wife are awesome thumbsup2.gif

So I hit the floor with a vengence: Hero's, Ronnie Murray, Red Beard, House of Comics, Swain, Terry's Comics etc etc I plucked some sweet late SA / BA books, some of which are awesome first additions, or now the best existing copies in my collection. Of course the focus was House of Mystery where I was nabbing early 200s in VF/NM or better - but the best HOM book I got was an amazing NM+ 290 from Red Beard for a song. Maybe dealers have tonnes of this book, but I don't see it that often in HG, maybe they just don't bring it confused.gif Red Beard brought one cloud9.gif

So after getting my initial whack of cherry picked BA Horror it was off to snoop around. Things I noticed at wonder.... More slabbed books last year, but a lot were just for show, or priced so out there that they might have as well been. The 2 most common wall books that were evident (because they are usually not on the wall) Bats 232 and Saga of the Swamp Thing 37. Saga's were priced as high a $65 a pop RAW 893whatthe.gif needless to say they were all still there Sunday. DEALER ALERT - ITS A $10 BOOK makepoint.gif at best. Same with Bats 232 I make it a point of every show to seek this book out on Friday and then again on Sunday. From what I could gather it was over priced in all grades - and guess what, didn't sell.

I met Andrew (Goldust), Chris (Lord Rahl), Brain (Stephen), fingfanfoom for the first time as well as reuniting with what seem like old friends - Jimm94, Jefflyriki (er you know) FFB, Pov, Supa, BassGman. Sure I'm forgetting someone or many ppl - apologies if its you. As Pov related, Scott, liz, Jim and I went out for Dinner that night - highlighted by (aside from the Pov/FFB show and Liz actually being there to talk about something other than comics insane.gif) Scott had Sotheby's auctions 1991 auction catalogue, the auctions in there just blew me away IE Sprang's personal copy of Batman #1 hail.gif

Saturday: It was PACKED - said another little thank you to Shin for the pass, because I had done the bulk of buying on Firday. Garthgantu and Richard hit the floor saturday and they again invited me out to lunch with Erik Larson. Erik's a very cool guy and it made my day just to be able to harass Garth with him. You can definitely tell they've been friends since they were kids. HEY GARTH ARE WE AT THAT 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif Restaurant yet its raining. Garth had a sketch that Neal Adams had done at one of the first BayCons for him as well as a Spidey drawing Erik had done in High School - at the top of the sketch Garth had written " This is a Spidey sketch by my friend Erik Larson, we both think that he is quite talented and think he should work for Marvel. Well it seems Marvel agreed - a few years later hahah.

I didnt buy too much Saturday a few random books here and there, Harley had a few book I wanted, but the $$$$$$$$ insane.gifinsane.gif luckily I collect BA/SA and can shop around, or be certain the book will come up in a different place for a better price. BA is in the bubble right now, some of the prices were so high that I didn't even want to get into negotiations.

A word about the CGC forum and what it means at a con, or what it can mean. As Pov has already said, I was on my cell phone or tracking down various forum members at least a dozen times to say, hey this is your type of book and such and such deal has a few of them, have you seen them? I literally dragged Pov to the Ghosts books Swain had acclaim.gif And forum members also contacted me to say, hey have you seen this book that X dealer has, I know you're in the market. Thanks Scott, Garth, Pov, Jeff, Jim etc.

FORUM DINNER - well Jimm, Jeff and I walked across town and through the Chinese New Years Parade. I won't say anything about the no shows, except I told Jeff and Jim that I bet at least 5 ppl wouldnt show (alas I was right) all I will say is that I wish everyone had made it.

I was seated this year next to Andrew (Golddust) and Terry from Terry's comics, as well as across from Divadrabnud and Burtboy and his wife (Elen?) sorry bb if that wrong, I had a lot to drink. Had long comic conversations with many forum members, the two I enjoyed to most, due to where I sat, included my talk with Diva and Goldust. I had never met them before and Andrew and David are great guys and know a lot about comics. thumbsup2.gif

In general the forum dinner was much different this year, there was more of a family feel to it, which was probably due to the increase in members who brought significant others which I applaud. As well there were just more people there, dealers etc. I'm not saying I enjoyed it any more, or any less, I guess last year with the concentration of forum members with significant post totals, the preliminaries were waved and we got to main events straight away. As well I think the dinner started later this year???? Don't worry it whittled down after a which to the hardcore forumites, but I had to catch a train and missed the end of the dinner -well the one that stopped at 3AM anyway.

SUNDAY - Nursing a hangover I strolled into the Room at Noon. One thing on my mind, close out two seperate deals. Well the first one fell through, glad it did as I write this, insane multiples are stupid for BA I still cannot emphasize this enough, there are no BA JIM 83s or FF 3s (Kudos to Jimm94 on the purchase of his FF 3 copy though) and I still shake my head at a lot of prices realized. So on to good news. After much diligence I am the proud Owner of the Monterey copy of Jimmy Olsen 134 cloud9.gif

When I was a kid the Marvel / DC crossover with X-Men and New Teen Titans was my favorite book to read. I loved that story and it was my first exposure to Darkseid who scared the cr@p out of me. So to have his first app. and bring the Monterey copy BACK home to its place of discovery was just too sweet. Had a smile the whole rest of the show. Thank you Mr. Murray flowerred.gif

WonderCon is a great show with a HUGE CGC forum presence for a show of its relative size. Glad to meet all the new forumites and great to see those I had already met one more time.

Sorry to have missed the fantabulous dinner crazy.gif Had other stuff come up, and my back start to go out... a bad combo at any time. Sounds like it was a much tamer meal without the "Grilled Borock" on the menu 27_laughing.gif

Glad to have bumped into PoV and a few other board regulars on the show floor, and Jason, you owe me lunch, so next time you're up in SF we're hitting Roy's... you'll love it, trust me.

Good show, lotsa good stuff at decent prices... I'll post a few in the appropriate threads!