• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 Hulk #1 CGC 4.5s on the Market, which is best?

17 posts in this topic

Almost impossible to say without seeing the back covers, but...

Like the others I feel #2 presents the best. No major folds, only minimal pre-chipping, pretty nice all around.

Well, as Hulk 1 has already catapulted in price over the last couple years, I would think the money would be better invested on another key or two.There are other threads on this, though so to stay on target and pitch in my thoughts on the 4 books....

A huge +1 on being able to decide without pics of the back covers and to the OP, if you really want help with a well informed decision, you should post up pics of the back covers.

I'd agree that # 2 presents the best but # 4 may be the book to buy (without accounting prices, for the time being).

The drawback with #2 is the abrasions on the spine.The question is how severe are the abrasions in relation to the spine's integrity....is it just color loss or were the abraded areas reduced to thin paper i.e. more than just color loss but not enough to result in tears.???

From what I can see, I think it is the latter....which is why the book received a 4.5 I'd bet, it LOOKS better than typical 4.5's but looks can be deceiving.

Granted, the pages are OW/W so there is not the possible issue of browning paper degrading over time, which would mean if the book were to be handled, the abraded areas( thinned/weakened paper) would be likely to tear due to the stress of handling thinned out and weakened paper BUT when evaluating a book, spine integrity is what a lot of graders seem to not give enough credence to.........I'd rather have a book with the spine tics on # 4 over the spine abrasions on # 2.

Then, comes the prices.The OP did not disclose the prices, nor where the books are being offered for sale.

if they are being offered for sale on ebay, an off ebay sale where the seller doesn't have to cover ebay fees, would allow the seller to sell the book at a small discount.From a selling POV, I have no issue with selling a book off ebay, at a price equal to what I'd get on ebay, minus eBay's vig.

For me, that is an instant 10% discount, that I'd give, on any book...to facilitate a sale and to make the buyer happy with a discount, without having to take a hit on the net selling figure.

However, if the seller sells a lot of high dollar items on ebay has thousands of listings and so on....ebay only charges a 3% commision , not 10%.

With the info and the pics supplied by the OP, I think #4 is the book to buy.

4 Hulk #1 CGC 4.5s on the Market, which is best?

I have been looking to make a big investment purchase and there are 4 Hulk #1s at 4.5 floating around right now for purchase, which one is the best?

Whichever one I'm selling . . . :grin:

As a stickler for clean back covers and staples, I'd say #2 if all staples and back covers are comparable. But I would pass on eye appeal for clean staples and a nice back cover, every day of the week.

Just some quick follow up:

First only two of the 4 had back pictures so I couldn't compare them.

#1 was from ebay auction and has sold 11.4k

#2 was from this forum and was offered at 15.2k

#3 was from this forum and was offered at 15k

#4 was from ebay auction and has sold 11.5k

I am pretty sure I am not going to go with Hulk #1 at this grade for my next comic because I want something higher grade I can purchase, also I think after the two ebay sales the price trend is going down. Still was an interesting exercise. Thanks for the opinions.