• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine ticks and color rubs

10 posts in this topic

Good morning!

Okay folks, I have a question about something that has been irritating me recently. I have received A LOT of raw books over the last 6 months that the grade people (and GrahamCrackers.com) are assigning to their books seems to be way off (in my opinion). Mostly due to spine ticks and color rubs. What are your thoughts on the following when it comes to grading raw books (by the way, this is mostly for moderns/Copper):

1) Color breaking spine ticks. Should they automatically make a book NM- or worse? If not, how noticeable can they be?

2) Non-color breaking spine ticks. How many and what size can they be before the books grade is not NM?

3) Color rubs. Automatic grade reduction?

Personally, I think a book that has one color breaking spine tick is VF+ or NM- at best. If you can see or feel non-color breaking spine ticks through the bag that is holding the book (especially poly bagged books like combo packs which I love) then it is not near mint. The grade of the book should also reflect the CURRENT condition of the book, NOT what it can be pressed to (primarily because pressing is an additional cost). Noticeable color rubs should knock the grade down as well in my opinion.

If you can think of any more, please add your pet peeves when it comes to buying books and the condition in which they are received. Phew, that felt good. Let me know what you think because I might be under grading my books. Your insight and opinions are appreciated!

One spine tick does not automatically reduce a book to NM- at best. I've seen 9.8s that have a couple slight spine ticks. I think there has been a couple gift grades shown on here where a book has 5 or 6 spine ticks and the book gets a 9.6.

If you can think of any more, please add your pet peeves when it comes to buying books and the condition in which they are received. Phew, that felt good. Let me know what you think because I might be under grading my books. Your insight and opinions are appreciated!

You best bet is to look a CGC graded books. A lot of them.

You best bet is to look a CGC graded books. A lot of them.

This is the best way to learn.

The best way to proceed is to understand the "near" in NM. Its not going to be a perfect book.... but it should be very close. OPG used to allow 3 (?) spine stresses that don't (or barely) break color in the grade. It sounds like the OP is a spine man..... I am too..... but if the book is absolutely perfect other than a couple of minor spine issues, it will often receive the NM designation. The trick is learning who grades books the way YOU like them, and give them your business. If you decide to grade your books exceptionally tight, stick to your price.... sooner or later your rep will generate healthy sales figures. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Overstreet Grading Guide was a good effort at illustrating a variety of grading scenarios.... a neat couple of books.