• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not even 2 weeks at the new house and I've already been robbed...

61 posts in this topic

Wow, that's terrible. I'm sure everyone on this board has this fear with boxes coming and going.

Maybe set up a sting operation of sorts. Put out another package or two (fakes or cheapies), and a real camera in the window or somewhere watching them. It's likely this guy doesn't know that YOU know they are missing. He may try again tomorrow. Also, check the woods / trashbins in your area for discarded packaging. Sounds like a kid up to no good.

Man, that sure got to be sucks to know your packages had disappeared right at your new house! Hope somewhere they're ok and be returned back in your hands. :foryou:

Maybe I should think of buying video camera system for my home to keep an eye on my personals and bit of peace of mind. hm

Have one pile tell the mailman not to touch full of triggered explosives or rabid weasels.

I feel for you Chip. I had someone still my X-Factor 6 9.8 and Walking Dead 104 9.8 SS right off the door step in a nice neighborhood. Neighbors camera showed the guy calmly pull up and walk up to the door, pick them up and drive away. I would have given anything to turn the corner at that moment. I missed it by 10 minutes.

I like to set stuff on my porch then sit inside hoping for a jackpot.

Sorry to hear this.

If you haven't already, you need to file a police report.

See if you can find out if any other packages have been stolen in the area (UPS, etc.)

Check with the HOA and or their management team and see if this has been a recurring issue.

More likely a crime of opportunity, when someone saw all those packages out front.

Huge dog

I have a 100lb Red nose pitbull, no one comes anywhere near my house, and they cross the street when they see us out walking.

He's a sweetheart and loves kids and gets picked on by my two 10lb dogs, but he is scary looking, and has a bark like the devil.

Trick or treaters, Jehovahs witnesses, door to door salesmen, etc...

No one comes anywhere near my house with him in the window acting like he will rip your face off if he gets the chance.

I'm sorry to hear this too. :(

For what it's worth, I'd never leave packages for pick up on a porch. That's just trouble looking for a time to happen.

Find a better solution - even behind the house would have been better, but under lock and key in a pick up box or just behind the front door are really your best options.

Sorry about the bad news Chip.

Honestly, thieves don`t target bad neighborhoods. They look for nice neighborhoods because they figure a better score.

It happened to me years ago. I lived in a neighborhood going to college, and never was robbed. As soon as I moved into a nice condo I got robbed quick.

The cop explained to me that crooks would never rob poor neighborhoods because they won`t get a good haul, so they scout around during the day for quiet neighborhoods.

I hope everything works out.

First, I am sorry this happened to you. I know that last year you had the Craiglist thing and this is yet another boulder in the road. Sorry about this.

However.

No one else has said it so I will.

"Well either you are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge, or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster..." (No google, but thumbs up if you know this)

Anyway...

You have given the thieves a taste. They now know that you are selling comic books out of that address. If they are able to get any type of real money out of anything they may want to now see what else you are selling and then see if there is anything else worth taking. You are not shipping things that cannot be resold. You are selling things that are virtually untraceable. You have now made your home a target.

I would start thinking about safeguarding the home first.

I'd go out with a list of all book and grades and how you bag and board the books,

be VERY specific and go to every pawn shop and LCS in the 10 mile radius with this list and a reward for a photo of the person involved to the people working there.

And if they want the full reward then have the person say I need this photo to buy them from you and a name and address. While video'ing this whole thing. For a bonus tell the seller to bring them back at a certain time because the store will have the money to buy these expensive books. Then you BE THERE the the lord will smile on you for every tooth you knock out of this POS's skull!

Wally's brand of vengeance 101...

'GIT SOME!

Well that stinks.

You left packages you were mailing out on your steps for pick-up or were these deliveries coming to you?

Problem is, if anyone knows what you do for a living those are easy pickings.

I am amazed I have never had a delivery stolen from me as sometimes they just leave the box at my front door and I live in Brooklyn and not exactly in a gated community. Ticks me off as I have an enclosed porch with a big hole in the screen and most of them just know to toss the package through the hole!

I would never ever leave anything out to be picked up, not where I live (actually, not anywhere within 150 miles of NYC...). I had a $9 plant stolen out of my front yard and it was during the fall when all the flowers had already fallen out and it looked dead.