• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File Copies

21 posts in this topic

Anyone ever had experience with purchasing file copies before? Do true file copies usually come with some form of documentation? I notice that some CGC labels denote "file copy" on the slab, but how are they able to designate a file copy if there is no proper documentation that comes with the book? Does Stan Lee submit the books directly to CGC and get them graded (joke)? This grade designation has always perplexed me, so I was hoping someone here with better knowledge would be able to help clarify.

Do true file copies usually come with some form of documentation?

Yes, indeed they do!

I believe the Eastern Color file copies all come with a Letter of Authentication signed by Danny Dupchak. (thumbs u

And a piece of his poop at the same time to check for his DNA! :tonofbricks:lol

Anyone ever had experience with purchasing file copies before? Do true file copies usually come with some form of documentation? I notice that some CGC labels denote "file copy" on the slab, but how are they able to designate a file copy if there is no proper documentation that comes with the book? Does Stan Lee submit the books directly to CGC and get them graded (joke)? This grade designation has always perplexed me, so I was hoping someone here with better knowledge would be able to help clarify.

Some of Stan Lee's personal copies were not labelled "file copy" because of grade, but CGC neglected to replace "file copy" with any other notation that it was from Stan's collection, so there are copies out there whose owners may not know they were originally Stan's. If they are from '02 or '03 Stan Lee signature series and were listed at that time originally on Heritage, then they are from Stan's collection even though it doesn't say so on the label. Until that time Heritage sold no other Lee signature books. (more recently, of course, they have sold many)

Do true file copies usually come with some form of documentation?

Yes, indeed they do!

I believe the Eastern Color file copies all come with a Letter of Authentication signed by Danny Dupchak. (thumbs u

lollollol

Yes and you can get a stamp made and make your own 'file copies'.

And if youre really looking for authentic file copies, look for the ones with a coffee mug round stamp as well as not to be sold stamp, those were at Stan lee's office when he filed them for the Bullpen

On eBay, I've seen many sellers use the words "file copy" to mean their own personal unread book that was purchased, bagged & boarded and then filed away. :)

All the Monkees books I had signed by the band were originally Dell File Copies. They lost the designation on the slab somewhere along the way.

Thats so awesome man and I usually hate sigs

So how did it work they were at separate conventions and CGC verified the sigs somehow?

So how did it work they were at separate conventions and CGC verified the sigs somehow?

It's signed in front of a witness then slabbed. Then the slab is opened in front of an authorized witness who keeps the book in his/her control and witnesses the new sigs, then it gets slabbed again.

It's signed in front of a witness then slabbed. Then the slab is opened in front of an authorized witness who keeps the book in his/her control and witnesses the new sigs, then it gets slabbed again.

:applause: Very nice. :headbang:

I still have mixed feelings about the Signature Series though. It's just has too much of the appearance of a cash grab for my liking.

Signature authentification is the accepted method of verification in the antiquities markets which, for all practical purposes, is where comics and other paper ephemera reside.

As far as the CGC is concerned all signatures acquired before the implimentation of the series are essentially nothing more than writing on paper, which is rather sad for those who've collected autographs long before slabbing existed. :(

Here's just one example from my own collection...

img_WeirdSF25_044.jpg

I'm not knocking the Signature Series for those collectors who like it. The witnessing provides bragging rights even if the queued up assembly line method of autographing, verifying and slabbing conveys less of a personal connection with the signer than an encounter where the fan actually has an opportunity to meet the person and discuss their work.

These usually do...

2e3832e7-5523-462c-a28e-8fd8530db2d6_zps0628eb59.jpg

0abca464-6885-427d-9fc9-dd3571064078_zpsfcaf51c0.jpg

Some don't, but there are often strong indicators such as stamps noting the ownership or origin of the copy...

ee359d58-97ca-4ba1-9c56-bcc963bb54aa_zps1436c3e0.jpg

Others indicate "pay copies" etc. of course, with modern books the definition may have been stretched somewhat to meet the increased demand and "specialness" of Signature Series books, but that's cool I suppose. (thumbs u

On eBay, I've seen many sellers use the words "file copy" to mean their own personal unread book that was purchased, bagged & boarded and then filed away. :)

All the Monkees books I had signed by the band were originally Dell File Copies. They lost the designation on the slab somewhere along the way.

I'm curious if the "Uncle Stan Collection" designation ever made it on a slab.

Anyone Ever Hear of "The Uncle Stan Collection"?

GDiYa2V.jpg

I'm curious if the "Uncle Stan Collection" designation ever made it on a slab.

Anyone Ever Hear of "The Uncle Stan Collection"?

GDiYa2V.jpg

Yup. "Stan Lee File Copy"

you can see one on ebay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sgt-Fury-26-Cgc-6-5-Stan-Lee-File-Copy-Rare-1-Of-A-Kind-Copy-/301688334902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463e06aa36