• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Update - Recieved Commission Today.

44 posts in this topic

Hi,

I commissioned an artist this past October who's art I discovered on the Deviant Art website. He has a pretty big following on there and I noticed he had a lot of happy clients who commissioned him and left great comments. He's also done some work for Dark Horse and a couple other company's.

I figured I'd commission him as well. He told me it would take him about a month to complete my commission with his current schedule. I told him that was fine ...It's been about 9 months now and I haven't received my commission. I waited until 2 months had pass to inquire about the progress on my commission and then another a month or so would pass and I would email him again and would basically get the same replies from him. The same old "I'm getting to it. I've been busy.", "I just need to do the inking".

The thing that irks me the most is he hasn't emailed me once to update me on the status of my commission or anything like that. It's always been me reaching out to him to get some sort response and update on what the heck's going on. When I commissioned him he told me I was the only commission he's taking at the moment and that he wasn't doing any other but mine.

Now in March he put up a post on his Deviant Art page that he has spots open for 3 commissions. So now he's taking on more commissions yet I still haven't received the one I paid for upfront in late October. Here's the icing on the cake ...about 3 weeks ago he put up a post on his Deviant Art page once again that he is taking pre-show commissions for Baltimore Comic-Con.

OH YEAH and 3 days ago he put up a scan of a commission he did for someone else.....

I'm debating if I should just out him here and on his Deviant Art page to show him a lesson and to warn people about this artist. I mean come on I gave him 9 months on a commission that was going to take a month at most. I got nothing but excuses. It's incredibly frustrating and at this point if he does end up sending my commission that piece is just going to bring back bitter memories of this whole ordeal.

I emailed him this morning before writing up this thread and asked him if it was possible to get my commission shipped out by this week. His response only was "Yeah I believe so" ....and that was all in his email.

That has to be a disappointing feeling, especially if you really enjoy the artist. I can see how a bad personal experience would sour you on the piece, and possibly his other work.

Personally, I would email him with the concerns you've shared here. Letting him know that you are a big fan of his work, and you appreciate his busy schedule, but that it appears as though he has publicly put other commissions in front of yours when you were willing to wait so long past schedule out of appreciation for him.

If an honest appeal like that doesn't get a genuine response or apology, followed by the completed piece, I would simply ask for a refund. At that point I can't imagine I would want to own that piece or continue to support the artist.

I suppose that's the danger in getting directly involved with the business side of someone whose work you admire. Best of luck.

ive gone through similar experiences in the past. at some point you have to either suck it up knowing that you are along for a long unpleasant ride or you decide you've had enough and ask for a refund. asking for money back definitely gets people attention.

ive gone through similar experiences in the past. at some point you have to either suck it up knowing that you are along for a long unpleasant ride or you decide you've had enough and ask for a refund. asking for money back definitely gets people attention.

but not money, in all cases :boo:

9 months stinks.

I have a large commission outstanding since June of 2007.

You're a lawyer, sue!

The guy is a perpetual sad sack....always getting evicted, always with his hand out, always with some sob story, always glomming on those around him for a place to stay, etc.

He had always delivered in the past and was facing (imagine this) eviction at the time I paid him for a painting he was going to do for me. He avoided eviction (that time) and nothing but a parade of excuses followed.

Suing him would be like suing a bag of cats...lots of noise but no money coming my way.

9 months stinks.

You're a lawyer, sue!

His name's Chris (shrug)

lol

And don't call me Shirley.

9 months stinks.

You're a lawyer, sue!

The guy is a perpetual sad sack....always getting evicted, always with his hand out, always with some sob story, always glomming on those around him for a place to stay, etc.

He had always delivered in the past and was facing (imagine this) eviction at the time I paid him for a painting he was going to do for me. He avoided eviction (that time) and nothing but a parade of excuses followed.

Suing him would be like suing a bag of cats...lots of noise but no money coming my way.

C.H., eh? I have crumbled at the sob stories in the past as well, no hope for this one I think. Sorry though.

9 months stinks.

You're a lawyer, sue!

C.H., eh? I have crumbled at the sob stories in the past as well, no hope for this one I think. Sorry though.

Heh heh, I wondered if it was him. I think I tried to help him out around that time too. He recently resurfaced and listed some stuff for sale. I contacted him about my commission and he said it was in storage and he would get to it. Of course I never heard back. He also never mentioned (before he went silent) that it was finished in the first place so the storage thing was probably BS.

My lesson learned is that if I hear of an artist in trouble, especially one that I wouldn't get a commission from normally, I just donate some money.

Malvin

9 months stinks.

You're a lawyer, sue!

Heh heh, I wondered if it was him. I think I tried to help him out around that time too. He recently resurfaced and listed some stuff for sale. I contacted him about my commission and he said it was in storage and he would get to it. Of course I never heard back. He also never mentioned (before he went silent) that it was finished in the first place so the storage thing was probably BS.

My lesson learned is that if I hear of an artist in trouble, especially one that I wouldn't get a commission from normally, I just donate some money.

Malvin

I believe "in storage" means in his "imagination".

That has to be a disappointing feeling, especially if you really enjoy the artist. I can see how a bad personal experience would sour you on the piece, and possibly his other work.

Personally, I would email him with the concerns you've shared here. Letting him know that you are a big fan of his work, and you appreciate his busy schedule, but that it appears as though he has publicly put other commissions in front of yours when you were willing to wait so long past schedule out of appreciation for him.

If an honest appeal like that doesn't get a genuine response or apology, followed by the completed piece, I would simply ask for a refund. At that point I can't imagine I would want to own that piece or continue to support the artist.

I suppose that's the danger in getting directly involved with the business side of someone whose work you admire. Best of luck.

Thanks for taking time out and responding to my thread! I really appreciate it. I'm going to do just that and send him an email again today and hopefully get some genuine response. Every response so far has seemed like a brush off and feels like he hopes ill eventually forget about the commission.

Thanks for taking time out and responding to my thread! I really appreciate it. I'm going to do just that and send him an email again today and hopefully get some genuine response. Every response so far has seemed like a brush off and feels like he hopes ill eventually forget about the commission.

As someone very new to the hobby, with very limited means, each small commission or sketch means a lot to me. I know it would be crushing to me to feel blown off like this. But were all human and I think we should let people know how we feel about situations and give them a chance to feel empathy. I imagine many artists deal with a lot of entitled people who don't respect them and just want the art they can get, and aren't very appreciative. I could see an artist becoming jaded and mistakenly fail to appreciate fans enough.

I hope this turns out well for you.